• Raised $440 of $700 target

UPSET RATING

rugbyprop3

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it wouldn't even be top 3 in the history of the NBA. Heck, the 1995 rockets won it all and had an identical record to this year's hawks (but they were the 6th seed).

Denver-Seattle

GS-Dallas

Knicks in the finals as an 8th seed

1981 the 40-42 rockets made it all the way to the finals as the last seed, being the only team to play in the finals with a losing record.

A number 1 seed losing to a number 4 is an upset, but not a huge one.

In fact, before last year, the last time a number 1 seed even made it to the finals was the spurs in 2003.

Edited by dlpin

As a Cleveland fan, in Atlanta if Atlanta was to win the serieswhere would this rank on the all time up-set list, I would have it in the top 3mainly because of the fact that its not just 1 game but a series being played

In other words you are a teenager who knows very little about basketball history.

it wouldn't even be top 3 in the history of the NBA. Heck, the 1995 rockets won it all and had an identical record to this year's hawks (but they were the 6th seed).

yeah but the rockets finished 15 games out, where the hawks where 19 games out

In other words you are a teenager who knows very little about basketball history.

Not a teenager but I admit that I am not a huge basketball fan, followed the cavs through the late 80's early 90's then they fell of and so did my interest in basketball since thats about the time frame that the Indians became contenders

It was just a hyperthetical question, where would you rank it thats all dont look to far into it guys in my view back in the day the NBA teams where more closely matched where as now the top 3-4 teams are a lot farther ahead of the curve, just my opinion

yeah but the rockets finished 15 games out, where the hawks where 19 games out

The rockets finished "only" 15 games out because there was more parity at the top.

Still, it wasn't just one series. They beat 60 win Utah, 59 win phoenix, 62 win Spurs, and 57 win Orlando without ever having home court.

Beating a number 3 seed, a number 2, and two number 1s more than makes up for a 4 game win differential.

The rockets finished "only" 15 games out because there was more parity at the top.

Still, it wasn't just one series. They beat 60 win Utah, 59 win phoenix, 62 win Spurs, and 57 win Orlando without ever having home court.

Beating a number 3 seed, a number 2, and two number 1s more than makes up for a 4 game win differential.

yes but doing it as the reigning champion takes away some of the upset, you have to agree with that some.

yes but doing it as the reigning champion takes away some of the upset, you have to agree with that some.

Some, but it is still a lot more than a 4 seed beating a number 1.

Especially since the teams would have split the regular season series if it wasnt for that bail out call, and the Hawks already took last year's number 1 to 7...

Some, but it is still a lot more than a 4 seed beating a number 1.

Especially since the teams would have split the regular season series if it wasnt for that bail out call, and the Hawks already took last year's number 1 to 7...

ok but before last year the hawks where out of the playoffs for the past 10 years i believe and took 7 games to get past a lower seeded miami team. and they are playing a team that only lost 2 games at home, and beating them would mean winning on there court.

ok but before last year the hawks where out of the playoffs for the past 10 years i believe and took 7 games to get past a lower seeded miami team. and they are playing a team that only lost 2 games at home, and beating them would mean winning on there court.

Im not saying it wouldn't be a huge upset. Im just saying that it wouldn't be one of the biggest upsets in history. not even a top 3 nba upset.

The Hawks beating the Celtics last year would've been an all-time upset.

The Golden State Warriors beating the Mavs in 2007 is an all-time upset.

The Denver Nuggets beating the Supersonics in 94 is an all-time upset.

The Knicks making a run to the NBA Finals as an 8 seed is an all-time upset.

The Lakers winning a championship with Magic Johnson having to play center for the series-clincher is an all-time upset.

I'd honestly put the Pistons beating the Lakers in 2004 when everybody crowned the Lakers as champions in November that year before the Hawks somehow beating the Cavs. There's probably more examples of upsets occurring in the NBA, but it's too many to mention.

Point is this: It'd be a pretty big upset, but nowhere NEAR all-time.

Im not saying it wouldn't be a huge upset. Im just saying that it wouldn't be one of the biggest upsets in history. not even a top 3 nba upset.

maybe not, as im not as historically sound as you on the NBA but I would say it would be bigger then the Rockets upset you brought up simply because the Rockets where the reigning champions

The Hawks beating the Celtics last year would've been an all-time upset.

The Golden State Warriors beating the Mavs in 2007 is an all-time upset.

The Denver Nuggets beating the Supersonics in 94 is an all-time upset.

The Knicks making a run to the NBA Finals as an 8 seed is an all-time upset.

The Lakers winning a championship with Magic Johnson having to play center for the series-clincher is an all-time upset.

I'd honestly put the Pistons beating the Lakers in 2004 when everybody crowned the Lakers as champions in November that year before the Hawks somehow beating the Cavs. There's probably more examples of upsets occurring in the NBA, but it's too many to mention.

Point is this: It'd be a pretty big upset, but nowhere NEAR all-time.

yeah that 07 GS win was huge, alright I am owned, was just trying to get some debate going

It was just a hyperthetical question, where would you rank it thats all dont look to far into it guys in my view back in the day the NBA teams where more closely matched where as now the top 3-4 teams are a lot farther ahead of the curve, just my opinion

Actually the opposit is true. Back in the 80s and early 90s there was a big gap between the top teams and everyone else. The Celtics and the Lakers took turns winning titles and then the Bulls went on a huge run.

The only team currently in contention for a ring that has won one recently is Boston and they were crap a couple of years ago.

Actually the opposit is true. Back in the 80s and early 90s there was a big gap between the top teams and everyone else. The Celtics and the Lakers took turns winning titles and then the Bulls went on a huge run.

The only team currently in contention for a ring that has won one recently is Boston and they were crap a couple of years ago.

wow do I disagree, from 94/95-07/08 (14 years) there have only been 7 different champions, from 80/81-93/94 (14 years) there where only 6 different champions only a difference of one. but go before that from 66/67-79/80 (14 years) there where 9 different champions

Not a teenager but I admit that I am not a huge basketball fan, followed the cavs through the late 80's early 90's then they fell of and so did my interest in basketball since thats about the time frame that the Indians became contenders

So you're a fair-weather fan? You probably won't identify with a lot of the fans on this site as we are true fans (the Hawks have never been contenders). Don't worry, Lebron will leave soon and you can go back to being an Indian or Browns fan. Both of them will be better than the Cavs when the King is gone.

• Premium Member

It would be an enormous upset for several reasons. Firstly the Hawks are no where near playing their best basketball, in fact, they haven't played their best basketball in months, right now we are playing to the level of an eight or seventh seed. Conversely Cleveland has been playing great basketball all season, and right now they are arguably playing their best ball. Secondly it is because of Lebron James, and all the hype surrounding him (rightly earned). He is the "next" Michael Jordan and he is playing on a team with a great offense and the best defense in the league. Since February virtually every analyst has predicted Cleveland to make it to the finals. Thridly NO ONE is giving us a chance I mean literally no one. Not even our teams own fans think we can win the series. And last but not least, we are hurting, while Cleveland is as healthy as they have ever been. Joe Johnson doesn't seem like he is 100% Marvin is virtually out, and Horford's ankle makes him a total non factor... The only players on our team playing well consistently are Bibby and Josh Smith.

Only way we win this series is if Cleveland comes out overconfident in the next home game and we play our A+ basketball and somehow manage to steal the game... Then we need to do what we did with Boston and sweep at home. Chances of this happening are insanely slim.

Us upsetting Boston last year would have been the biggest upset in playoff history, us upsetting Cleveland this year with our injuries and often uninspired play would be very close to that. Top 3-5 for sure.

People arguing that the Rockets of 95 had bigger upsets don't really understand the concept of an upset. When a team is good enough to have won a championship the year before, people know that they have potential to beat anyone. It is much more unlikely for a team like the Hawks, with little playoff experience, a retarded head Coach, young players, not a single championship winner on the roster to beat Cleveland (Who made the finals once already) than it was for the Rockets to beat any of the teams they beat... Hands down. Obviously the achievement of winning those series dwarfs what we would achieve by beating Cleveland, but it doesn't make it a bigger upset.