• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJC article: Woody lashed out at team after poor 2nd half

coachx

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/200...-and-his-hawks/

Cleveland – The Hawks filed back into Quicken Loans Arena this morning for practice, and Mike Woodson admitted he had some fences to mend. “I kind of lashed out at them last night,” the coach said, and when Woodson says “kind of” he means “absolutely, positively.”

Woodson was angry about the second half, in which his team managed 28 points in 24 minutes and, according to Joe Johnson, “gave up.” I’ll address this at greater length in a column, but Woodson’s point — and it’s a good one — is that the team can’t be satisfied with just getting here. Because if it is, it won’t be here long.

Edited by coachx

I must say that I like the fact that he lashed out at them for the 2nd half performance.

Who cares if Al's ankle gave out in the 3rd ?

Who cares if Marvin is hurt and out of it due to hardly playing in a month ?

Who cares that Cleveland is the best team in the NBA ?

Who cares that Cleveland is almost unbeatable at home with a 42 W - 2 L record ?

No one expected them to win but coach has to show he is never satisfied with losing the way they did in that 2nd half.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member
I must say that I like the fact that he lashed out at them for the 2nd half performance.

Who cares is Al's ankle gave out ?

Who cares if Marvin is hurt and out of it due to hardly playing in a month ?

Who cares that Cleveland is the best team in the NBA ?

Who cares that Cleveland is almost unbeatable at home with a 42 W - 2 L record ?

No one expected them to win but coach has to show he is never satisfied with losing the way they did in that 2nd half.

Well said! At the end of the day, the team will be evaluated on the EFFORT they displayed on the court. They did not look good during the 2nd half. Hopefully they can regroup and provide a more competitive effort on Thursday...

Well then the coach needs to make up his mind. In one interview he claims "it is really hard to steal a series. In my 25 years coaching I've seen it done before but it is hard". That's basically telling the team they don't have a shot in hell to win this thing anyway. Both the coach and Sund have made comments that seemed to lean towards already being satisfied with this season.

• Premium Member
Well then the coach needs to make up his mind. In one interview he claims "it is really hard to steal a series. In my 25 years coaching I've seen it done before but it is hard". That's basically telling the team they don't have a shot in hell to win this thing anyway. Both the coach and Sund have made comments that seemed to lean towards already being satisfied with this season.

Woody doesn't seem like much of a leader to me

Woody needs not only to lash out at the team, he needs to give them direction. Because of injuries, tired superstars, and playing a better team in the 2nd round of the playoffs, the roles the Hawks are playing are all up in the air. Woody has to change the roles of some of the players.

Marvin - he should be the defensive/ garbage man. He is unreliable offensively at this point so, Woody should tell him that we won't run plays for you so I need you to concentrate on def and rebounds. He needs to try to slow down LBJ on def and get in the paint and push people around. He needs to be a Rodman/ BWallace - lite.

Horford - He has no mobility to make any effective post moves. Woody needs to tell him that he needs to play a pick and pop type of game and focus on defensive rebounding. No post plays for you. Your game needs to be like A. McDycess or Haslem.

Joe - He needs to say to Joe "ok, you are tired, I get that... so when you are coming of that curl just pull up and shoot the ball." There is no need for you to try to force more action - you are open... Shoot it! When you are doubled, give the ball up. Go post and when doubled pass it out and repost - you are being guarded by a guy that is 6'1 at best. Eat his lunch!

Josh - He should tell him that "you are the man" - provided that you are in the paint. We will run the offense through you if you play your post game. No 3s (pro or college distance). You have an advantge on anyone that the Cavs can run at you. We gave you big time money so its time to earn it. Oh btw, give me 10 rebounds.

Acie - Be prepared to play and just push the ball. Again, don't think - just push the ball!!!

Mo - I need more from you. Just play BETTER!

Bibby, Flip, Zaza - just play your games.

Woody - Make adjustments like a real coach.

I know I'm asking a lot from Woody but the playoffs are about def, rebounding, free-throws, and COACHING ADJUSTMENTS. It's time for him to earn that vote of confidence that Sund gave him.

Edited by tgunzz

TNT announcers, when they began the opening said something about this being

the Cavaliers, who are expected to win it all against the Atlanta Hawks, who "STOLD"

their first round. Really? I thought we just outplayed the Heat.

Then, they kept saying, as the game went on, the Cav's defense shut down the

Hawks scoring.

Nope. They didn't. While their defense did make some stops and slowed down the

Hawks scoring, there was many wide open shots that the Hawks simply missed.

Defense had nothing to do with these misses. Hawks were just cold / couldn't hit.

Then, there were the turnovers by the Hawks. Sure, the Cav's caused some of them

with their defense, but, like the missed shots, many were caused by the Hawks themselves.

Woody is right. The Hawks played like crap in the second half. There was a mike on

Woody and we all heard him tell our players, "Quit taking so many jump shots. Take

it to the rim and score or draw the foul." What did they do? Kept on, for the most

part, shooting those jump shots - - And mising.

Hawks are a hot and cold team - - No middle ground. They proved that to us in the

first round against the Heat. Four hot games - Three cold games. This continues as

we face the Cavs..

Side note: No one can cause King James to foul. Can't be done. I know that no one

in his right mind would dare to take a charge from him any more than they would

stand in front of a speeding 18 wheeler. Either one would get you hurt - Bad!

But, come on. He never hits anyone when they are shooting. Every block is clean.

Every rebound is his if he grabe for it regardless of position.

Time to forget this one. Move on. Maybe this next one will be out "hot" game and

we can grab the victory.

GO HAWKS!!

:biggrin:

Woody needs not only to lash out at the team, he needs to give them direction. Because of injuries, tired superstars, and playing a better team in the 2nd round of the playoffs, the roles the Hawks are playing are all up in the air. Woody has to change the roles of some of the players.

Marvin - he should be the defensive/ garbage man. He is unreliable offensively at this point so, Woody should tell him that we won't run plays for you so I need you to concentrate on def and rebounds. He needs to try to slow down LBJ on def and get in the paint and push people around. He needs to be a Rodman/ BWallace - lite.

Horford - He has no mobility to make any effective post moves. Woody needs to tell him that he needs to play a pick and pop type of game and focus on defensive rebounding. No post plays for you. Your game needs to be like A. McDycess or Haslem.

Joe - He needs to say to Joe "ok, you are tired, I get that... so when you are coming of that curl just pull up and shoot the ball." There is no need for you to try to force more action - you are open... Shoot it! When you are doubled, give the ball up. Go post and when doubled pass it out and repost - you are being guarded by a guy that is 6'1 at best. Eat his lunch!

Josh - He should tell him that "you are the man" - provided that you are in the paint. We will run the offense through you if you play your post game. No 3s (pro or college distance). You have an advantge on anyone that the Cavs can run at you. We gave you big time money so its time to earn it. Oh btw, give me 10 rebounds.

Acie - Be prepared to play and just push the ball. Again, don't think - just push the ball!!!

I know I'm asking a lot from Woody but the playoffs are about def, rebounding, free-throws, and COACHING ADJUSTMENTS. It's time for him to earn that vote of confidence that Sund gave him.

Sometimes I wonder when some of you guys started watching the Hawks. It's like the playoffs is the first time seeing them for some of you guys. There are a lot of adjustments we need to make, don't act like Marvin and Al are bad because in the season they were our best players outside of JJ.

Sometimes I wonder when some of you guys started watching the Hawks. It's like the playoffs is the first time seeing them for some of you guys. There are a lot of adjustments we need to make, don't act like Marvin and Al are bad because in the season they were our best players outside of JJ.

I've seen every Hawks game for the past 2 seasons, so I am well aware of how valuable these guys were to our season this year. I made my adjustments recommendations only because these guys are injured and limited in their game right NOW. I just think that they need to pair down their games until they are healthy and able expand back to what they did in the regular season. You can't expect a guy with a sprained wrist to be able to shoot 3's and finish around the hoop with contact or a guy with a sprained ankle to have the lateral quickness to make a quick move in the post and elevate. So why not focus on the other aspects of the game that they can still be effective at? I just wonder if you really read my post.

I've seen every Hawks game for the past 2 seasons, so I am well aware of how valuable these guys were to our season this year. I made my adjustments recommendations only because these guys are injured and limited in their game right NOW. I just think that they need to pair down their games until they are healthy and able expand back to what they did in the regular season. You can't expect a guy with a sprained wrist to be able to shoot 3's and finish around the hoop with contact or a guy with a sprained ankle to have the lateral quickness to make a quick move in the post and elevate. So why not focus on the other aspects of the game that they can still be effective at? I just wonder if you really read my post.

This post makes sense, the first one didn't.

• Premium Member
... and credit where credit is due, we'd have to play about a perfect game to beat the Cavs considering the talent disparity.

Talent Disparity???

You have got to be kidding me. Let's look at it:

Bibby = Mo

Joe >> West

Evans <<<James

Smoove > Vaejao

Horf = Big Z

Flip >Gibson

Zaza > Wallace

Marvin > Pavlovic

West < Serbiac

There's no talent disparity. Talent wise, we may even be better than them. The problem is that they have better chemistry and coaching than we do. With that... we still will beat them when they come to ATL and if we can win 1 game in Cleveland, this series is over by game 6. Hawks win. If officiated fairly.

Talent Disparity???

Bibby = Mo

Joe >> West

Evans <<<James

Smoove > Vaejao

Horf = Big Z

Flip >Gibson

Zaza > Wallace

Marvin > Pavlovic

West < Serbiac

There's no talent disparity. Talent wise, we may even be better than them. The problem is that they have better chemistry and coaching than we do. With that... we still will beat them when they come to ATL and if we can win 1 game in Cleveland, this series is over by game 6. Hawks win. If officiated fairly.

Bibby is Mo Williams equal? LMAO

Mo score about 3 more PPG.... He is ALOT better shooter and had alot better shooting year compared to Bibby's fairly unimpressive shooting season. He's a more explosive offensive player by far. The one thing people got to remember is that Cleveland wouldn't trade LBJ for the hawks entire starting lineup. That makes a huge difference.

Bibby is Mo Williams equal? LMAO

Mo score about 3 more PPG.... He is ALOT better shooter and had alot better shooting year compared to Bibby's fairly unimpressive shooting season. He's a more explosive offensive player by far. The one thing people got to remember is that Cleveland wouldn't trade LBJ for the hawks entire starting lineup. That makes a huge difference.

I agree with Hot. I think Cleveland has a clear cut advantage in Mo over Bibby. Otherwise, Dieslel may have a point, somewhat. LBJ just makes everyone around him so much better, that evaluating talent on a position by position basis is difficult.

I agree with Hot. I think Cleveland has a clear cut advantage in Mo over Bibby. Otherwise, Dieslel may have a point, somewhat. LBJ just makes everyone around him so much better, that evaluating talent on a position by position basis is difficult.

Exactly. They are loaded with shooters who play off Lebron perfectly ( Mo, West, Wally, Gibson). They have 2 bigs who do the dirty work and do not need the ball to be effective in Wallace and Varejo. Then throw in a 7'3'' center you can post up and who can knock down periemter jumpers and you quite a baskeball team to surround the best player on the planet. Add a veteran 6'10'' guy in Joe Smith and you have one deep team that can overcome any injury (except to L.J.)

Edited by coachx

• Moderators
Talent Disparity???

Bibby < Mo

Joe << James

Evans < West

Smoove > Vaejao

Horf hurt << Big Z

Flip > Gibson

Zaza > Wallace

Marvin hurt < Pavlovic

West < Serbiac

This is my assessment of impact in this series based on guys current games and health.

[Another] problem is that they have better chemistry and coaching than we do.

Agreed.

don't even get me on Acie Law...i don't get this guy...the whole time he is out there, he looks like a scared girl...while his shot isn't the best, he has the ability to drive on people at will and dish and all he does is get the ball dribble around and pass it away..once in a blue moon he shoots a jumpshot....last night mario of all people was being aggressive offense wise but acie was content doing nothing..i know the game was over but get out there and put some pressure on people.......you are right, he needs to stop thinking and just get out there and be AGGRESSIVE AND CONFIDENT...go to work young man, stop being so passive...

i'm sick of it..i don't care who says what about acie's abilities, he has waaaaaay more than he's showing and he's simply giving up.