• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My take on the Hawks as of Friday May 9th

gsuteke

I think the Hawks are a top 12 team. They would have likely gotten beaten by all the teams out West that got eliminated in the 1st round.

Having said that though they are one of the last 8 standing.

I agree the team needs a new direction in respect to overhauling the coaching staff. It will be ironic if and when Woodson is fired considering how far this team has gone from the beginning of his tenure to the end in Atlanta. Woodson went from a stripped down joke of a roster and 13 wins to 47 wins and the EC Semis. I think it's obvious though he needs to go. Wow, the irony. Hawks fans would have killed for a playoff team a few years ago, let alone a team that made it past the 1st round.

Picture the following scenario though. Take away Ilgauskus and Mo Williams. That's the equivalent of who the Hawks are missing right now. Still think the Cavs would be blowing by the Hawks if Atlanta were at full strength?

I don't think the Hawks would have beaten the Cavs at full strength, however Horford hasn't played meaningful basketball since he rolled his ankle against the Heat and Marvin has played meaningful basketball since injury his back what, 2 months ago? It was followed up by the freak wrist injury.

Giving up on the team is premature at this point. Every key player on this team outside of Joe is in their early 20s.

I will personally call out all the Chicken Littles on HS from this point forward.

Before you reply please walk outside and look up. I assure you the sky isn't falling.

Add some pieces and regroup. The Hawks weren't winning a title this year.

The play of the Hawks has been embarassing the past two games, however the reaction from Hawks fans has been even more so. Considering the circumstances....

what did you expect?

Seriously.

(( note to Northcyde )) . . . READ some of these topics first, becaue you might save yourself a lot of typing.

Excellent post teke.

With all the talk about Boston and LA before the year, it was Cleveland who won 66 games. I think every team since 1990, that has won at least 65 games, has gone to the NBA Finals.

That Cavs team is good . . very good.

I think the Hawks are a top 12 team. They would have likely gotten beaten by all the teams out West that got eliminated in the 1st round.

Having said that though they are one of the last 8 standing.

I agree the team needs a new direction in respect to overhauling the coaching staff. It will be ironic if and when Woodson is fired considering how far this team has gone from the beginning of his tenure to the end in Atlanta. Woodson went from a stripped down joke of a roster and 13 wins to 47 wins and the EC Semis. I think it's obvious though he needs to go. Wow, the irony. Hawks fans would have killed for a playoff team a few years ago, let alone a team that made it past the 1st round.

Picture the following scenario though. Take away Ilgauskus and Mo Williams. That's the equivalent of who the Hawks are missing right now. Still think the Cavs would be blowing by the Hawks if Atlanta were at full strength?

I don't think the Hawks would have beaten the Cavs at full strength, however Horford hasn't played meaningful basketball since he rolled his ankle against the Heat and Marvin has played meaningful basketball since injury his back what, 2 months ago? It was followed up by the freak wrist injury.

Giving up on the team is premature at this point. Every key player on this team outside of Joe is in their early 20s.

I will personally call out all the Chicken Littles on HS from this point forward.

Before you reply please walk outside and look up. I assure you the sky isn't falling.

Add some pieces and regroup. The Hawks weren't winning a title this year.

The play of the Hawks has been embarassing the past two games, however the reaction from Hawks fans has been even more so. Considering the circumstances....

what did you expect?

Seriously.

While i agree with everything you are saying, I personally am not embarassed by the fans that are voicing their complaints. Sure some are ridiculous (including mine)but you have to remember that most things are said in the heat of the game or right after it when emotions are running very high. You have to remember this IS a vent. These little messageboards have probably saved a few marriages over the years and they probably have also saved a few TVs too. :wink:

As far as the Hawks are concerned..again you are right. Long suffering Hawks fans would have killed just to sniff the playoffs a few years ago. The problem is we ARE long suffering. Fans can smell this team is on the cusp and usually we get knocked back down to earth with a vengence. (See games 2,3 6 against the Heat and games 1 and 2 against the Cavs) Fans watch these games and see us giving up and NOBODY can handle that with grace. At least i can't. Most of the time i just have to turn the channel only to check back periodically to see if we are making a run. I can't help myself. I want to see this franchise succeed so bad. I guess thats the definition of a fan.

As for Mr. Woodson..I don't know. Personally, i like the guy. I think he has done a great job getting the Hawks back to the playoffs. He seems to say all the right things on the sidelines and in interviews. He comes from really good stock so you know he has some kowledge of the game. Something is definitely off though and it goes deeper than the injuries. To me it seems he has lost the respect from his team. Seems like their is internal hell going on right now and i don't think Woody is a very confrontational guy. That in large part could be the problem. I don't think Mike commands respect from his players and in return he DOESN'T get it. The other problem is the ownership here stays in a state of flux. Its frustrating for the fans. They won't make a move. They don't make very many moves at all because they can't agree on anything. In Woody's defense, he has never had a real superstar. Joe is the closest thing we have but most people know that Joe is alot less of a player than Scottie Pippen was. Joe would probably have been a third or fourth option on the Bulls great teams and he is probably a 2nd or third on the top 4 teams this year. He is an All-Star but he's not the kind of guy that can take a team on his back and carry it when everyone else is struggling.

I personally believe for the Hawks to get better, they have to get a new go to guy. They have to go out and get a face for the franchise like a Carmelo or a Wade, or a Redd or Arenus or a Stodamire or SOMEBODY. Somebody that can get the calls that the superstars get and can carry a team. I think we have the supporting cast. We are just missing a key element to get us over the top. The problem lies in not knowing what move this ownership will pull next. What you read on here is alot of frustration boiling over.

Picture the following scenario though. Take away Ilgauskus and Mo Williams. That's the equivalent of who the Hawks are missing right now.

That is also what the Hawks will be missing as soon as this series is over.

A big reason for the Hawks record this year is the fact that Bibby and Flip had big years. Both are ufa's. The only pgs we have under contract for next year are Acie and Speedy.

The Hawks have needed a legit center for years. Horford certainly isn't the long term answer at C. He struggles to defend guys like Big Z and doesn't make them pay on the other end.

So in other words the Hawks need a pg and C just like they did in 2004-2007. Only now we have no cap space and no top 6 picks.

Sund certainly has his work cut out to make this team a legit contender.

(( note to Northcyde )) . . . READ some of these topics first, becaue you might save yourself a lot of typing.

Excellent post teke.

That Cavs team is good . . very good.

It is a true post, but we're supposed to turn a blind eye to the truth until it is absolute. What if the Hawks do pull of a MIRACLE? Then you will be saying "I was so wrong" even though we all will be saying it. lol

And the Cavs team is very good. They're great actually. There is something special about this team that will be remembered for all NBA history and we are witnessing that history. When. . . I mean IF we lose then I'll be rooting Cavs to see that history manifest. Lebron will end his career as one of the greatest all time if he keeps this up.

Anyways. . . . . . CAVS SUCK. . . GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin: