• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

For Argument's sake....

Diesel

• Premium Member

For Argument's sake...

Let's say things feel the Kings way. Let's say that they got the #1 pick overall and they picked Blake. And so to fix their weak spot and to break up a logjam, let's say that would trade us Thompson for Marvin.

Of Thompson, Horf, and Smoove... Who plays the starting 4 and 5?

• Premium Member
There's an awful lot I would trade to get Blake Griffin in Atlanta.

I don't see much difference between what Griffin can do vs. What Smoove can do. Beasley is better than both. However, Thompson might be a player and more importantly... A Center.

I don't see much difference between what Griffin can do vs. What Smoove can do. Beasley is better than both. However, Thompson might be a player and more importantly... A Center.

Blake Griffin is a freakish athlete and is all effort all the time. He'll end up being great. Unless of course the Clippers draft him.

Blake Griffin is a freakish athlete and is all effort all the time. He'll end up being great. Unless of course the Clippers draft him.

I wonder if Blake will measure 6'7'' or 6'10''.

All effort on offense but not on defense.

I have alwase wondered how much Smoove would have dominated had he played come college ball.

I have alwase wondered how much Smoove would have dominated had he played come college ball.

I wonder the same thing as well. If Smith had gone 3 years in college, he probably would be a better fundamental player than he is now. Likewise, he would have set some records for Indiana (that is where he was going, no?).

In reality, he would have been a 1 and done guy, so probably not much improvement or domination.

In terms of how to rebuild...I think it starts and stops w/ Woodson first, and then see what the trade market holds.

Smith's contract is big enough to bring back a big contract, though we have to wait until later in the summer to make a move. His abilities are amazing, but his BBIQ, not so much.

Marvin's contract isn't that valuable because we only get back 1/2 of the value for an SnT. I still think the guy is one of those pieces you want to have in place.

JJ, not saying that we should trade him, but his comments make it sound like he's done with the Hawks. Maybe a new HC will change his attitude. At the same time, I have to wonder about contiuing to build around a guy who publically doubts the Hawks can even win vs. the Cavs. Not good leadership from the team's leader.

Other trade pieces include:

Childress (not sure there is much value there)

Acie (who may blossum under a different coach- see Billups. Or Acie could be another Banks)

David Anderson (we should just sign him and get him in the rotation)

Our first round pick (I don't think this should be moved as the team has to get deeper and late round picks are where you get cheap depth)

There are some pieces to move on the chessboard here. The question is, what is out there to get?

Take a look at John Brockman in the SECOND round. Never seen anyone work as hard constantly - always running the floor and diving for balls. Very strong but undersized at 6'7" 252lb but can rebound like heck, set picks, and defend. Led the Pac-10 in rebounding for three years and had 60 double-doubles. Good around the basket but his jump shot needs work. So watch some video before you jump on his height. Took Big Baby apart in college even though BB scratched his face like a cheap wh#$@ (I loved watching that on TV - I think Big Baby was ready to cry). Tough guy - I think he broke his nose six times but never let it slow him down. May be a good bench player for us and could be an enforcer as well.

• Premium Member

Had Josh went to Indy... He would have made what Griffin accomplished look meager. It's easy to look good against snot nosed College players. Griffin comes in against pros who are faster, smarter, and as athletic. He won't be who he was at OU.

I'm not OK with rebuilding for the sake of rebuilding (ie, trading Marv for a perma-injured bum like Kaman). If someone good like Bosh makes themselves available long term, I'll trade a peice. I'd also probably trade Marv for a less talented vet who could be lights out from deep and play good D or Al for a slightly less talented true C (none on the market for him probably). Otherwise, I'm happy with this roster... we don't have Lebron or a transcendent talent like that -- that hurts us, but trading our guys for other non-stars doesn't change that.

Yep coach - I remember Sir Charles saying as how the biggest problem Beasley had to overcome was that 3 inches he lost going from college to the pros :rolleyes:

Edited by DJlaysitup

I'm not OK with rebuilding for the sake of rebuilding (ie, trading Marv for a perma-injured bum like Kaman). If someone good like Bosh makes themselves available long term, I'll trade a peice. I'd also probably trade Marv for a less talented vet who could be lights out from deep and play good D or Al for a slightly less talented true C (none on the market for him probably). Otherwise, I'm happy with this roster... we don't have Lebron or a transcendent talent like that -- that hurts us, but trading our guys for other non-stars doesn't change that.

ok for argument's sake right? you know there's a star to grep. if we really want a super super star. he flip in first round and probably won't be able 70 games. tracy macgrady yea that's him. i think a marvin williams will do. we just need to add some salaries to make that match.

I think what the Hawks need right now is another guy who can take it to the rim and get the tough baskets...at the times they are really needed. Joe can, but he was getting double and triple teamed in this series. Other Hawks can, but usually not versus good defenses(I know Josh did OK tonight).

Either that or just get some players who can hit the short shots :)

Improve the coaching. At the end of each year my analysis of Woodson's over-all effect has been very negative.

Chandler or Thompson would be great additions. Anytime you can get a young big with talent, it's a good move. Especially when you're under-sized in the paint.

I'd look to replace Bibby. I think a distributing, break-down the D type PG would help to create much more efficient results from the other four players on the court. Those PG's are usually good on D as well.

Horford/Smoove/JJ/Marv are very nice pieces to build around. A good team can beat a super-star. You can't always find a SS, but good coaching can create a good team.

Bring in Fratello or SVG. Add Chandler or Thompson to the above four and improve the depth of the bench. Find the younger, faster, traditional PG and let him and Law evolve into a strong PG rotation. If you start Horf and Smoove, Mo/Law/Chandler or Thompson/ is a good start to the bench. Eliminate some of the non-playing Hawks counting against the cap (Chil/Speedy/Gardner/Mario/Hunter/Randolf/Andersen/) . Rither bring them in, develop them or find players that will contribute to replace them.

Having a cap hold on a non-contributing player is a management error (save injury).

Fratello or SVG could do somthing with a core of:

Horford/Zaza

Smoove/Chandler

MW/

JJ/Mo

Sessions (example)/Law

If Smoove/Zaza/2009 second/2010 first brings in Bosh, I do that trade.

Horford/Zaza

Bosh/Chandler

MW/Mo

JJ/Mo

Sessions/Law

Is a good looking 9 man rotation. Bring in Fratello or SVG.

I think that thee are doable senarios if the ASG cuts the dead weight and actually spend the cap on active players. The Bosh trade is ? able, but the first senario with Chandler/Thompson is probably very doable and would look pretty good to me.

ok for argument's sake right? you know there's a star to grep. if we really want a super super star. he flip in first round and probably won't be able 70 games. tracy macgrady yea that's him. i think a marvin williams will do. we just need to add some salaries to make that match.

Interesting that you said that bone - and maybe you didn't mean it - but T-Mac could be exactly what we need for the next few seasons - If he was reasonable $$-wise..We need a scorrer - obviously since we just scored 74 at home...or 78..or whatever - who cares - we didn't even hit 80....at home.

Edited by DJlaysitup

• Premium Member

YOu can't believe that People are looking at Marvin's games played and saying he's a man of steel. Clipps would be doing us a favor taking Marvin for Kaman (in whatever way we do it). Maybe we can make them believe that Marvin is a PF. Still, Kaman is a real, true to life Center. He and Zaza would atleast close down the discussion on that position. That's NOT a move just to be making a move, that as tactical as the nba gets. cover your holes.

Interesting that you said that bone - and maybe you didn't mean it - but T-Mac could be exactly what we need for the next few seasons - If he was reasonable $$-wise..We need a scorrer - obviously since we just scored 74 at home...or 78..or whatever - who cares - we didn't even hit 80....at home.

Trading for a 30 year old guy coming off micro fracture surgery reminds me more of Penny Hardaway and Grant Hill then it does Amare Stoudemire, who had the surgery when he was very young.

Point being, my beliefe is McGrady's game will deteriorate to the Penny and Hill level. Meaning he will no longer be a star after that surgery .......now just a solid starter.

i really didn't mean/want t-mac. that guy choke every time when it counts. plus do you want him plus jj or just him? i doubt we can afford both jj and t-mac. i don't mind this combination though.

i really didn't mean/want t-mac. that guy choke every time when it counts. plus do you want him plus jj or just him? i doubt we can afford both jj and t-mac. i don't mind this combination though.

Actually T-Mac is a top 5 all-time playoff scorer (per points per game).

Edited by GameTime