• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

If we were to get a new coach....

Diesel

If we were to get a new coach.  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I went with Eddie Jordan since his strength is our weakness. (Halfcourt offense)

Fratello, VanGundy, and AJ would all make me happy too.

I think AJ still has a year left under his Dallas deal where he is making like $4 mill a year. I don't see us paying that much and he will not take less. If he signs a contract he gives up the Dallas money he can sit at home and collect.

VanGundy would be nice but he is a slow it down, grind it out, defensive minded coach like Woody is...........though he is a better one.

I like Fratello b/c of his Atlanta roots and expierence. He would let this team get out an run and coach based on the strengths of the team more then making the team fit a specific style.

• Premium Member

I was saddened this morning listening to the press conference by both Doc Rivers and Glenn Davis...

Not that I dislike the Celts so.. but

They both talked about how they practiced offense.

Doc said first option was Ray.. over to Paul and if Paul doesn't have a shot, they go pick and roll with Davis.

Davis said that he worked on his pick and pop shot all year... he said coach made me work on pick and pop shot.

Then I started to think about how does the Hawks practice offense. I get a picture of 11 guys playing pick up basketball.

Eddie Jordan would probably be my top choice.

Because he commands less money or what?

If we're going to go after a coach, then go after a guy with an established record like Avery Johnson or Fratello (or Gundy)... Jordan record as a coach is similar to Woody.

1. Avery

2. Fratello

3. Van Gundy

Just having one of these coach will instill confidence in the team.

• Premium Member

If we're going to go after a coach, then go after a guy with an established record like Avery Johnson or Fratello (or Gundy)... Jordan record as a coach is similar to Woody.

1. Avery

2. Fratello

3. Van Gundy

I get the feeling that you dislike Jordan. Let me say this. Jordan took the Wizard to the playoffs every full season he coached them. Even with the loss of injury prone Agent 0. That's not taking away from the other guys because I like them also. It's definitely a hard choice and I don't think you can negate any of the names on that list (except Weiss and maybe Westphaul) but even Woody can get some consideration.

1. Avery

2. Fratello

3. Van Gundy

Avery is the least likley. We would have to pay him $4 mill per year for him not to lose money since he will collect $4 mill per year from Cuban until 2011, as long as he is not coaching another team. Not to mention the ASG would have to pay Woody contract next year too. I think Avery will sit at home until 2011 and collect $8 mill from Mark Cuban.

If Fratello is willing to coach in Sacremento then you know he would jump at the chance to have a swan song in Atlanta. He may entice Hubie Brown to play a consultant role too.

Seeing the VanGundy brothers coach against each other in the same division would be pretty cool. It would probably warrant some national TV games between the Magic and Hawks.

The one single thing that makes me like the thought of Eddie Jordan is the offensive rebirth this team would go through. Seeing 5 Hawks players move without the ball in a Princeton style offense would be a thing a beauty.

Edited by coachx

See, this is what I was talking about.

Now I voted for Avery Johnson, because he's known as a defensive coach, and I think he'd really get in people's azzes if they didn't play defense.

But he definitely won't solve our offensive woes if the core of this squad stays as is. The emphasis would be what it is now . . getting stops and rebounding the basketball, to ignite the offense.

But Eddie Jordan . . . really?

Did Eddie look good as an offensive coach because he ran a great system? Or did he look good as an offensive coach, because he had 3 players who could create their own shot at any given time and get 20+ a game ( Arenas, Jamison, and Butler ). And I'm not even going to remind people how inept those Wizards team were defensively. That's part of the reason why they only got to the 2nd round once, in four tries. ( lost 3 straight times in the first round ). And those Wizards teams never won more than 45 games in a season.

We won 47 this year.

And Fratello? Fratello was basically ran out of Memphis, because he desperately tried to get that team to play better defense, at the expense of the offense. Memphis fans and management thought his style of play was "boring". Once Pau Gasol wasn't available at the start of the 06 - 07 season, and they got off to that horrible start, they got rid of him and hired that assistant coach, Marc Iavaroni from Phoenix.

Yea . . they now have an offensive coach.

Iavaroni, in about a season and a half, posted a 33 - 90 record, and they got rid of him.

Coaching in the NBA is a tightrope folks. Be careful what you wish for.

• Premium Member
Avery is the least likley. We would have to pay him $4 mill per year for him not to lose money since he will collect $4 mill per year from Cuban until 2011, as long as he is not coaching another team. Not to mention the ASG would have to pay Woody contract next year too. I think Avery will sit at home until 2011 and collect $8 mill from Mark Cuban.

If Fratello is willing to coach in Sacremento then you know he would jump at the chance to have a swan song in Atlanta. He may entice Hubie Brown to play a consultant role too.

Seeing the VanGundy brothers coach against each other in the same division would be pretty cool. It would probably warrant some national TV games between the Magic and Hawks.

The one single thing that makes me like the thought of Eddie Jordan is the offensive rebirth this team would go through. Seeing 5 Hawks players move without the ball in a Princeton style offense would be a thing a beauty.

I would love to see Jordan's offense here also...

But

Who could say no to a Fratello/H. Brown Hawks coached team??

I think our BBIQ would increase by leaps and bounds.

Makes me think of combinations I would love to see:

1. Fratello/Hubie

2. Woodson/Eddie Jordan.

3. JV Gundy/Paul Westhead.

4. Alvin Gentry/Tom Thibodeau

5. Del Harris/Paul Westphaul

Hmm??

Edited by Diesel

I would love to see Jordan's offense here also...

But

Who could say no to a Fratello/H. Brown Hawks coached team??

I think our BBIQ would increase by leaps and bounds.

Makes me think of combinations I would love to see:

1. Fratello/Hubie

2. Woodson/Eddie Jordan.

3. JV Gundy/Paul Westhead.

4. Alvin Gentry/Tom Thibodeau

5. Del Harris/Paul Westphaul

Hmm??

Listening to Hubie call our games makes me wonder if he's throwing his hat into the ring...sometimes. It's like he salivating over the talent the Hawks have, and he's auditioning for the job. He's right on point with the analysis of the Hawks' play, and what we should or should not be doing to improve our chances vs. Cleveland. I understand he's trying to keep viewers during the lop-sided victories, but his basketball IQ is apparent, I agree with Diesel.

I don't think the Hawks have come to a point to where they need a "new voice". I just think they need guys who can do some of the things that we can't do right now.

- a guy who can score down on the low block, with his back to the basket

- a guy who can penetrate and get to the hole and finish.

Acie is the guy who can penetrate and get to the hole, but his finishing ability hasn't been consistent at all. And we don't have a back to the basket scorer.

I was watching the Celtics - Magic game last night, and wondering what a player with Big Baby Davis skill set would/could do for the Hawks. He not only has a nice mid-range game, he has a decent post-up game as well. I remember one play in that game in which he had someone down on the low block ( I think Rashard Lewis ). He caught the pass down low, did a quick pivot then spun back the other way, and got an easy lay-up.

I mean, damn. Even if we had a guy who could do that coming off the bench, would be a godsend for the Hawks. And if someone like Smoove or Horford learned to do moves like that on a consistent basis, we'd be a well balanced team.

But it is what it is. Hopefully, both Horford and Smith will work extensively on their post games over the summer.

• Premium Member
See, this is what I was talking about.

Now I voted for Avery Johnson, because he's known as a defensive coach, and I think he'd really get in people's azzes if they didn't play defense.

But he definitely won't solve our offensive woes if the core of this squad stays as is. The emphasis would be what it is now . . getting stops and rebounding the basketball, to ignite the offense.

But Eddie Jordan . . . really?

Did Eddie look good as an offensive coach because he ran a great system? Or did he look good as an offensive coach, because he had 3 players who could create their own shot at any given time and get 20+ a game ( Arenas, Jamison, and Butler ). And I'm not even going to remind people how inept those Wizards team were defensively. That's part of the reason why they only got to the 2nd round once, in four tries. ( lost 3 straight times in the first round ). And those Wizards teams never won more than 45 games in a season.

We won 47 this year.

And Fratello? Fratello was basically ran out of Memphis, because he desperately tried to get that team to play better defense, at the expense of the offense. Memphis fans and management thought his style of play was "boring". Once Pau Gasol wasn't available at the start of the 06 - 07 season, and they got off to that horrible start, they got rid of him and hired that assistant coach, Marc Iavaroni from Phoenix.

Yea . . they now have an offensive coach.

Iavaroni, in about a season and a half, posted a 33 - 90 record, and they got rid of him.

Coaching in the NBA is a tightrope folks. Be careful what you wish for.

Uhm... Did you watch Caron Butler at Miami? Lakers?

How about Jamison in Dallas?

I think coaching had a lot to do with how they played?

Jordan's problems in Washington started and ended with Injuries.

45 win season:

Arenas 80 games.

Jamison 68 games.

Heywood 68 games.

Hughes 61 games.

Next season:

Arenas 80 games.

Jamison 82 games.

Butler 75 games.

Heywood 79 games.

Next Season:

Arenas 74 games

Jamison 70 games

Butler 63 games.

Heywood 77 games

Next season:

Arenas 13 games

Jamison 79 games

Butler 58 games

Heywood 80 games

Now... replace these names with our big four.

Replace Arenas with Joe

Replace Jamison with Smoove.

Replace Butler with Marvin

And Heywood with Horf.

What would our records be?

Could we muster 45, 42, 41, and 43 wins (respectively) like Jordan did?

Arenas misses 69 games and they win 43 on the season?

Butler has yet to play a full season.

I don't think the Hawks have come to a point to where they need a "new voice". I just think they need guys who can do some of the things that we can't do right now.

That is exactly why we have to keep Bosh and Rose away from each other. Surround those 2 guys with some shootes and a banger and you got a team that will give Lebron a run for his money next season.

Give us Bosh and a PG who can create and we will be the ones giving Lebron a run for his money.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

Acie is the guy who can penetrate and get to the hole, but his finishing ability hasn't been consistent at all. And we don't have a back to the basket scorer.

I was watching the Celtics - Magic game last night, and wondering what a player with Big Baby Davis skill set would/could do for the Hawks. He not only has a nice mid-range game, he has a decent post-up game as well. I remember one play in that game in which he had someone down on the low block ( I think Rashard Lewis ). He caught the pass down low, did a quick pivot then spun back the other way, and got an easy lay-up.

I mean, damn. Even if we had a guy who could do that coming off the bench, would be a godsend for the Hawks. And if someone like Smoove or Horford learned to do moves like that on a consistent basis, we'd be a well balanced team.

But it is what it is. Hopefully, both Horford and Smith will work extensively on their post games over the summer.

I think one of the reasons we talk about a new coach is because this team is undisciplined. From Smoove shooting his ridiculous three pointers to Murray forgetting all offensive protocol to Joe just playing iso joe... there's no discipline. I said I was saddened watching that game and hearing the press conference.

The Celtics have their priorities on offense that goes Boom-boom-boom.

Ray for the shot... Paul for the shot... pick and roll Paul and Davis.

Boom-Boom-boom.

They executed all three in 17 seconds.

When you watch us...

The first 17 seconds are either Joe dribbling, us doing a weave for the sake of doing a weave... or we've already thrown up a shot. Our offense is not premeditated. It's like we go in with no plan and we make it up as we go along.

I think one of the reasons we talk about a new coach is because this team is undisciplined. From Smoove shooting his ridiculous three pointers to Murray forgetting all offensive protocol to Joe just playing iso joe... there's no discipline. I said I was saddened watching that game and hearing the press conference.

Boom-Boom-boom.

When you watch us...

The first 17 seconds are either Joe dribbling, us doing a weave for the sake of doing a weave... or we've already thrown up a shot. Our offense is not premeditated. It's like we go in with no plan and we make it up as we go along.

Well said.

• Moderators

Boom-Boom-boom.

When you watch us...

Nice post, D.

• Premium Member
If I had the authority I'd go after one guy secretly with a non-disclosure to be signed by both parties before we negotiate. Tubby Smith.

If you ever thought that there was agenda in the NBA...

Realize that there is an agenda against college coaches becoming pro coaches in the NBA.

Pitino said that there's a fraternity and they have power.

Anytime, you have two of the top 3 worst records in basketball (lottery picks) and you end up picking: 3rd and 6th... you don't have to look far for agenda.

• Moderators
If I had the authority I'd go after one guy secretly with a non-disclosure to be signed by both parties before we negotiate. Tubby Smith.

Tubby is a much better coach than Woodson, but I don't know that he is a good match for our personnel for what he likes to run offensively. Personality-wise, I don't see Tubby ever making the leap.

I voted Jordan as the best compromise. I like Avery, but I strongly suspect there would be bad chemistry between him and our players, and our management would not support him over the players.