• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Coaching Prospect: Sam Mitchell can provide that new voice for Hawks

HAWKS1986

What about Sam Mitchell as the new Atlanta Hawks coach? Many don't like Dominique as coach and some might not want to see Fratello a second time?

Sam Mitchell had some success and was Coach of the Year in 2007.

Mitchell played locally at Mercer and lives in Atlanta, so he isn't a difficult man to find.

GM Sund should go ahead and give Woody his walking papers, and start the interview process and talk to Mitchell about his coaching and drafting philosophies.

The media has gone out of its way to praise the Hawks Organization for sticking with Woodson throughout the building process. This, combined with the ownership confusion means there is absolutely no way that Woodson is going anywhere. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets an extension.

The media has gone out of its way to praise the Hawks Organization for sticking with Woodson throughout the building process. This, combined with the ownership confusion means there is absolutely no way that Woodson is going anywhere. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets an extension.

Yup. Especially during the lopsided series vs. the Cavs, the only bright spot the networks could key on was our improvement the last few years. Woody is reaping the benefits of it. Anyone outside of the organization, or that doesn't consistently watch the Hawks, would think Woody is heavily responsible for the turnaround. It would be a PR nightmare if Woody is dumped. We would be a laughingstock. I can see it already....the Hawks steadily improved over his 5 years, and reached 47 wins then fire him? It won't happen...simply from the perception alone.

Woody will be the Hawks coach next year.

Yup. Especially during the lopsided series vs. the Cavs, the only bright spot the networks could key on was our improvement the last few years. Woody is reaping the benefits of it. Anyone outside of the organization, or that doesn't consistently watch the Hawks, would think Woody is heavily responsible for the turnaround. It would be a PR nightmare if Woody is dumped. We would be a laughingstock. I can see it already....the Hawks steadily improved over his 5 years, and reached 47 wins then fire him? It won't happen...simply from the perception alone.

Woody will be the Hawks coach next year.

The ASG can't worry about what the national media writes or says. What they have to worry about is how to put people in the stands, esp adding season ticket holders. I doubt there are many in the Atlanta area that feel Woodson is the guy to take the team to the next level.

Coaching changes happen all the time in all sports. They happen to successful coaches when its obvious that the coach's ways have become stale. George Karl in Seattle is a prime example. Same with Fratello here in the 1980s and Lenny Wilkens in the 1990s.

What cannot happen this offseason is Woodson staying on his current deal. Extension or Fire, those are the only real option, IMO.

I'm afraid he is staying but 680 is discussing this argument right now. Do you change the coacho or the players. I don't think there is any way you say that we have gotten max talent out of the group we have and that means coach. We'll see how big Sunds balls are.

Im by no means a Woody fan, but Mitchell is flat-out worst than him.

I used to live in Canada and watched a ton of Raptor's games.

Mitchell sucks. But Bosh is really good... let's get him. Also, Calderon is a better version of Bibby (same defensive deficiencies tho).

What about Sam Mitchell as the new Atlanta Hawks coach? Many don't like Dominique as coach and some might not want to see Fratello a second time?

Sam Mitchell had some success and was Coach of the Year in 2007.

Mitchell played locally at Mercer and lives in Atlanta, so he isn't a difficult man to find.

GM Sund should go ahead and give Woody his walking papers, and start the interview process and talk to Mitchell about his coaching and drafting philosophies.

You mean the guy that watched his team get killed by Kobe while giving him single coverage? No thank you.

You guys are a bunch of spoiled, over critical babies. Be careful of what you wish for baby. Team has improved every year under Woody without any major upgrades to the roster. You had freaking homecourt advantage in the playoffs, advanced and you are still complaining.

Maybe you need to pull up the old message board and see what you guys were used to talking about this time of the year. Lottery talk sucks, trust me.

• Moderators
You guys are a bunch of spoiled, over critical babies. Be careful of what you wish for baby. Team has improved every year under Woody without any major upgrades to the roster. You had freaking homecourt advantage in the playoffs, advanced and you are still complaining.

Maybe you need to pull up the old message board and see what you guys were used to talking about this time of the year. Lottery talk sucks, trust me.

Do you really expect a team with a ton of early 20 lottery picks and a 3 time All-Star to get worse year after year?

Our starting lineup is the #2 pick, 3-time All-Star, #2 pick, Josh Smith, #3 pick. Those guys had darn well better improve from 13 wins and eventually be in the playoffs, IMO.

I do think we should have no complaints about the results this season. 47 wins is fulfilling expectations, IMO. Last year, we underachieved and got lucky.

I have to ask if you have followed this team's offense, though, and if you really think this team will be taking any significant step forward in the future while running the same offense we have run for the past 5 years. That is the issue in my mind. Do I have a reasonable expectation this team is going to progress while Josh Smith is still placed to roam outside the 3pt line and while our goto play is the isolation? The answer for me is "no."

Call me spoiled if you want but I really enjoyed this season and want this team to be in a better position for the future.

Getting rid of Woodson has to be the top priority. I don't know about Mitchell - just don't know him. But we need a coach with some smarts. Not necessarily an assistant with playing experience. Someone who can develop and motivate players, setup a real offense, and handle the game duties intelligently. The player HAVE to respect him, unlike Woody.