• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJC: Bibby wants to stay in Atlanta

coachx

By CHRIS VIVLAMORE

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Monday, May 11, 2009

This is not the way Mike Bibby wants to go out — not out of the playoffs and certainly not out of Atlanta.

The Hawks point guard scored just three points in nearly 31 minutes Monday night as the Hawks were swept out of the Eastern Conference semifinals after an 84-74 loss to Cleveland.

Enlarge this image

Curtis Compton/ccompton@ajc.com

Guard Mike Bibby went 1-for-6 (a three-pointer) and one assist in what could be his last game as a Hawk.BY THE NUMBERS

• Box score • Standings • Stats

• Photos: Game • Celebrities

RELATED STORIES

Cavaliers eliminate Hawks from playoffs

Bibby hopes to return to Hawks

Hawks' sweet season reaches sour end

More Hawks coverage

“If I do anything more than what I did tonight, we win this game,” Bibby said. “I didn’t shoot the ball well. I do anything and there is a good chance we come out on top.”

Bibby made just 1-of-6 shots, a 3-pointer. He had just one assist.

It wasn’t just one bad game for Bibby during the series, but part of a pattern. He averaged 10 points and four assists a game. The Hawks needed far more to have a chance to beat LeBron James and the Cavaliers. He scored a mere eight points in the Hawks’ Game 3 loss at Philips Arena Saturday.

Now, a major decision is before the Hawks. Do they bring Bibby back? He made $15 million this season, the final year of a three-year deal he signed with Sacramento before being traded to Atlanta last season.

If it is up to Bibby, he’ll return.

“It’s not my decision to make,” Bibby said. “I told them before, I love it here. … I definitely want to come back. I love the coaching staff, love the team, love the city.”

Count coach Mike Woodson as being in Bibby’s corner.

“I would love to have him back next year,” Woodson said. “Mike Bibby is a big part of what we did this season. He came over last year and we don’t make the playoffs without Mike. We don’t win 47 games this year and sew up the fourth spot and host the first round at Philips Arena without Mike. I would love to have Mike back.”

Bibby did two long stints on the bench Monday as he struggled and Flip Murray picked up the slack in his role, scoring 14 points.

“I would have loved to have played my way back in the game,” Bibby said. “It just didn’t happen.”

Bibby, who averaged 14.9 points a game in the regular season and the first-round series win over Miami, provided the Hawks another scoring option to Joe Johnson.

Asked how important it was to have Bibby back, Johnson said. “Very important. We went to the playoffs two years in a row together. We won a series. I’m looking forward to having him back.”

If Bibby WANTS to be in Atlanta then maybe we can resign him for a reasonable contract. Two or three years at 5 to 6 mill per would not be bad for what Bibby brings.

If Bibby leaves for a small contract we know Sund trumphed Woody.

With all the talk of Bibby talking smack to Woody. It appears Bibby "loves" Woody.

Edited by coachx

As of now, only the Blazers present a challenge to the Hawks' keeping Bibby.

To me, limiting the number of guaranteed years is the biggest challenge.

Money talks. Bibby can say all he wants, loves the city, loves the team, coaches etc. But, at his age, this will be his last semi-large contract. Whomever offers him the most money, will get his services.

Money talks. Bibby can say all he wants, loves the city, loves the team, coaches etc. But, at his age, this will be his last semi-large contract. Whomever offers him the most money, will get his services.

To an extent.

I do not think Bibby would go to a losing team for more money, nor do I think a losing team wants to be a big spender and over pay for the likes of Bibby.

Portland on the other hand is another matter. If they are willing to give him a 4 year deal then they can have him. Bibby's peremiter shooting would be good in Portland with Aldridge getting double teams in the post and Roy creating off the dribble to suck defensive help into the paint. When a PG blows by Bibby's defense you just run him into to Oden and Pryzibilla (and hope Oden stay healthy).

I would not lose any sleep if we lost Bibby (especially to a Western Conference team) but if we could keep him with a short 2 to 3 year deal for a reasonable $5 -$6 mill per, then I 'd be all for it.

Houston, with Rick Alderman, may be a possible sign and trade destination. I remember him doing and interview with Payton and Webber and Webber asked about Houston as an offseason destination (like they had privately talked about him reuniting with Alderman). Bibby blew it off but it still planted a little seed.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member
To an extent.

I do not think Bibby would go to a losing team for more money, nor do I think a losing team wants to be a big spender and over pay for the likes of Bibby.

Portland on the other hand is another matter. If they are willing to give him a 4 year deal then they can have him. Bibby's peremiter shooting would be good in Portland with Aldridge getting double teams in the post and Roy creating off the dribble to suck defensive help into the paint. When a PG blows by Bibby's defense you just run him into to Oden and Pryzibilla (and hope Oden stay healthy).

I would not lose any sleep if we lost Bibby (especially to a Western Conference team) but if we could keep him with a short 2 to 3 year deal for a reasonable $5 -$6 mill per, then I 'd be all for it.

Brilliantly stated. Mostly because it's how I feel, too. :worshippy:

This team has too many shooters. Too many.

Bibby could sign for the Vet minimum but we'd still need to put someone else on the floor that can break down a defense.

You can never have too many shooters but we do have to find a guy who can break down the defense off the dribble while defending the PG position.

I agree we need a guy who can penetrate off the dribble more then we need to bring back Bibby. I just think we can draft a guy at #19 who can do that better then this years crop of FA PGs. Our top choice at PG may not be there at #19 but one of: Lawson, Teague, Maynor, Curry, and Flynn will likely fall to #19. If they are all gone then we still have Mills and Collison to choose from to add depth and competition at PG.

At 5-6 mill per year Bibby could be a vet backup to stabelize the 2nd unit, or if he starts, he will gets less minutes.

Worst case scenerio we settle for Collison at #19 who I think would be a good "yin" to Bibby's "yang." Law is the wild card. We know he has the ability to penetrate off the dribble, at will. He must fine a way to put it all together.

We either need to extend Woody or fire him b/c he WILL NOT play Law or any other young PG with no job security in the last year of his deal.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

I would keep Bibs on 2 conditions.

1. We get an offensive coach in here who would have autonomy over the offense and will teach pick and roll.

2. Contract = 4 years 22-26 million range.

I think Bibby could be one of the best pick and pop/pick and roll point guards we could ask for, however, the rest of our team is pick and roll dumb. If we kept Bibby, either Horf learns to hit that pick and pop shot or we have to start thinking about shopping him.

My biggest problem is lack of leadership. I hoped that Bibby would step up and be the leader we needed. Instead, he fell into the same thing that everybody else was doing.

My biggest problem is lack of leadership. I hoped that Bibby would step up and be the leader we needed. Instead, he fell into the same thing that everybody else was doing.

I knew Bibby wasn't a leader in the Chauncey Billups mold when all that "Team Dime" garbage came out.

Bibby has never passed the sniff test.

I think what they said on 790 is right. Basically the Hawks arent the team they were this year without Bibby. They dont make the playoffs last year without Bibby. However they prolly cant go much farther than the second round with Bibby as the starting point. Also if Bibby gets a 3 or 4 year deal how healthy can he stay? Its a tough choice and I hope Sund explores all options.

• Premium Member
I think what they said on 790 is right. Basically the Hawks arent the team they were this year without Bibby. They dont make the playoffs last year without Bibby. However they prolly cant go much farther than the second round with Bibby as the starting point. Also if Bibby gets a 3 or 4 year deal how healthy can he stay? Its a tough choice and I hope Sund explores all options.

IF you bring in a real offensive coordinator, you give Acie a chance. IF we pin Bibby to a 4 year deal say 23 million, then that leaves room for Acie to play himself into the starting position. I would basically say, the starting PG is up for grabs. I might even bring in another vet PG like Brevin Knight (for cheap). The key is that Acie has to either show or go. If he goes, we can address that next draft.

• Premium Member
I'm an UFA. I have absolutely no problem getting in the lane or creating my own shot. I can lead the break. HS members have been wanting me for 3-4 years.

Royal Ivey?

Tyron Lue? You know Ex would love him back!

Anthony Johnson !!!

Lindsey Hunter!!

Stephon "don't talk about my Shoes" Marbury.

Naw... I know who you're talking about.

• Premium Member
I think a Claxton/etc. deal for TJ Ford makes some sense if you don't bring back Bibby, who makes the most sense among the FA's.

Ford, his gameplay aside, has a favorable (read: short) contract.

injury prone.. but fast.

Could mentor Acie.

Howver, he can't shoot.