• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Tony Gonzalez Speaks

coachx

Gonzalez calls last two seasons ‘incredibly frustrating’

Posted: May 13th, 2009 | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Atlanta Falcons, Kansas City Chiefs, Tony Gonzalez

It’s been nearly three weeks since the Kansas City Chiefs traded TE Tony Gonzalez to the Atlanta Falcons, and now the nine-time Pro Bowler is speaking out about the circumstances surrounding the deal.

During a radio interview on Wednesday, Gonzalzez admitted to being discouraged while playing for a rebuilding Chiefs team that went 6-26 the last two seasons.

“It was incredibly, incredibly frustrating,” Gonzalez told 610 Sports Radio in Kansas City. “Obviously, last year, when I did ask for a trade, that was on my mind. It’s not that I didn’t believe in the team and believe in the direction it was going. It was just how quickly were we going to get there? That’s frustrating when you’re on a team with a bunch of young guys and you’re not winning.

“I wanted to be able to finish my career on a high note. With the Chiefs, I’m not saying we couldn’t get there and they’re not going to get there, it’s just that I wanted to get to a team that was established, that was going the right direction, that had immediate success. Then maybe finishing it on the note that I want to, which is winning a playoff game and going to the Super Bowl. I think I have that opportunity now with the Falcons.”

What Gonzalez didn’t want was a repeat of last offseason and the negativity that surrounded his status with the Chiefs. He said he met with Chiefs GM Scott Pioli and coach Todd Haley to dicuss the topic, but didn’t definitively request a trade.

“I said, ‘Look, I’m on board. If you guys want me here, I’m going to play ball for you.’” Gonzalez said. “But, having said that, I also said, ‘Look, if you guys want to trade me, go ahead and do it. I’m on board with that too.’”

So nice to hear those words uttered about the Atlanta Falcons by a future hall of famer.

Edited by coachx

Thanks for the post!

That is amazing to hear a legit, smart player say that the Falcons are a team that he believes can put together a SB run.

I do hope TG is a little patient. IMO, the Falcons are a year away from SB contention. The defense is just too young to make a full run this season. And we do have a 2nd year QB!

Thanks for the post!

That is amazing to hear a legit, smart player say that the Falcons are a team that he believes can put together a SB run.

I do hope TG is a little patient. IMO, the Falcons are a year away from SB contention. The defense is just too young to make a full run this season. And we do have a 2nd year QB!

We'll be Super Bowl contenders as long as Abraham, Peria Jerry, and Lofton stay healthy. Our offense will be almost unstoppable this year barring any sophomore slumps by Turner (Second year starting) and Ryan. Also, Sam Baker must stay healthy. If our team can stay healthier than it did last year, I can almost guarantee a long playoff run.