• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Whats the REAL reason Nique Got traded?

PureGreatness

The Real Reason Nique Got Traded  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ive heard different types of stories but never got a clear answer. i was born in 89 so by the time nique got traded i wasnt into basketball. ive read these different reasons and i want the truth.

A) Lenny did not like Dominique

B) nique was a free agent that summer and the hawks weren't gonna resign him.

C) The REAL reason Nique was traded was because he was involved with Fred Tokars. Tokars was a lawyer here in ATL that had his wife killed. Google him. Big news. Tokars was a pro at helping nightclub owners evade taxes on their earnings and was involved in doing this for some pro athletes. There was a club called Club 21 in which Deion was a part owner(check his jersey number) in which Nique also used to use his image to promote due to him wearing #21 as well. Politics is the reason Nique was traded and Deion was allowed to walk. That other stuff is fluff.

Notice Deion last played for the Falcons in 93, and was traded by the Braves in 94. Atlanta wanted no parts of these players in case shyt from the Tokars case hit the fan as he could have rolled and brought down a lot of folks.

D) Neither

E) all the above

Edited by hoodstar

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Babcock basically said that we like to get rid of our stars while they still have some trade value. That was his mantra.

Look at what he did with Willis, Smitty, Deke, Mookie, and Reef.

In each case, he knew that he'd rather move them before their contract ended. He enjoyed having that power over his players like that. I think in Willis' case, Babcock got tired of dealing with Willis' brother agent?

• Premium Member

We traded Nique because he wanted too much money to stay. It was obvious he wasn't the same player after his Achilles tendon tear. Babs wanted him to play for less money, Nique refused so Babs got the best deal he could for him. As much as everyone hates that trade people forget the only reason we had the money sign Deke was by trading Nique and Danny bleeping Manning screwing us by signing with Phoenix.

We traded Nique because he wanted too much money to stay. It was obvious he wasn't the same player after his Achilles tendon tear. Babs wanted him to play for less money, Nique refused so Babs got the best deal he could for him. As much as everyone hates that trade people forget the only reason we had the money sign Deke was by trading Nique and Danny bleeping Manning screwing us by signing with Phoenix.

:ohmy:

Nique being traded wasn't that bad. It was Danny Manning getting hurt a lot which was the problem. We made up for it with Smitty and Deke but no title was what everyone remembers.

Didn't the Hawks have a really good record after they initially acquired Manning? What I mean by that is the team improved, didn't it?

Nique's last game with the Hawks, was the Seattle game on Feb 23rd.

Hawks record: 36 - 16 ( .692 winning percentage )

Manning's first game in a Hawks uniform, was the Philly game, on Feb. 26th.

Hawks record w/Manning: 20 - 9 ( .690 winning percentage )

While the ball spread around more with Nique gone, you could definitely see what the potential problem in the playoffs was going to be. As we've seen this year, in the playoffs, you need a guy who may can score in bunches, to get you over the hump. Manning was NOT that type of player. He was a complimentary type, glue guy, when he came to the Hawks. He got a lot of shots when he was with the Clippers. But in Atlanta, he was nowhere near the scoring threat he was with the Clips.

That ish almost bit us in the azz in that Miami series, but the defense was good enough to pull it out for us in those final 2 games. Just think, that year, both the Hawks AND Seattle ( both #1 seeds ), could've lost in the first round of the playoffs.

By the time we play Indiana, it was evident that Manning couldn't carry us offensively when we needed it. If the team didn't shoot well as a whole, we lost.

Still the worst trade in Hawks history, because that was easily the best Hawk team we'd ever assembled. Plus, there was NO JORDAN IN THE LEAGUE. That was our shot folks.

Instead of rolling the dice, and seeing if Nique could get us a title, they trade him, to insure that they'd at least get a quality player for next season.

Then his ( Manning's ) bytch azz bounces out of ATL, and leaves us looking like fools ( much like how Boozer did Cleveland, when he went to Utah ).

(( BLEEP )) DANNY MANNING. I still hate his guts.

• Premium Member

You like to fix history too?

There was a lot that went on between Nique and Deke.

First and foremost, we traded Kevin Willis for Steve Smith and Grant Long. When then signed Kenny the Snake Norman as a replacement for Manning. What gave us room for Deke was the fact that we tricked Detroit into taking Stacy Augmon and Grant Long for first round picks in the future. Detroit was our main competition for Deke and when they took on those contracts, they could no longer afford Deke and we could.

Nique and Manning really had no real effect on us getting Deke. I mean, we spent the money and a pick (if I'm not mistaken) to get Norman. Had we not done that we could have afforded Deke and Manning (assuming the same trade of Augmon). The other thing is a little thing I like to call Laettner & Rooks for Spud and Lang. Did you forget about that brilliant Move in babcock history? I think that played more heavily in us having money than Nique and Manning. There were just too many years between to jump to that wrong conclusion.

• Premium Member
While the ball spread around more with Nique gone, you could definitely see what the potential problem in the playoffs was going to be. As we've seen this year, in the playoffs, you need a guy who may can score in bunches, to get you over the hump.

You are 100% correctumundo sir.

Us trading Nique was really us trading a post that we had been leaning on for a long time. Manning was more complimentary and gave us an inside presence that we couldn't get from Willis... BUT Nique was a guy willing to put the whole weight on his shoulders. Fans are still mad at that move because we could have won it all that year.

WOW @ how much Nique signed for with the Celtics. What a totally different league we have now, as far as how much these guys are paid.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m135...86/ai_15710262/

Different time and era, fwd to three years after that and you have the MJ and KG deal. That was when players was really getting paid.

Nique's last game with the Hawks, was the Seattle game on Feb 23rd.

Hawks record: 36 - 16 ( .692 winning percentage )

Wow, a GM traded it's Star with a 36-16 record?

That takes major balls.

That was the Hawks best season in the Atlanta's team history to win it all, smh.

The reason we lost to Indiana imo was Willis being hurt and the fact that our record was kinda smoke and mirrors. We played great d with Mookie and Augman at the guards and Koncak as our starting center so we won alot of regular season games but werent that good of a playoff team. I mean think about the fact that Koncak was our starting center and Augmon our starting 2. Indianas front line killed us in that series and with Willis hurt it was 10 times worse. I hate the Nique deal as much as anyone but the Pacers would have beat us with Nique just like they beat us with Manning. Reggie Miller was a rising star and Smits and Mckey and Dale Davis all ate us alive. Not to mention it took all 5 games for us to beat 8th seed Miami in round 1 with our boy Smitty and Grant Long taking it to us. I dont care what our regular season record was that team was flawed and it took great coaching in Lennys 1st year here to smoke and mirror our way to a sweet regular season record.

That was the Hawks best season in the Atlanta's team history to win it all, smh.

The 88 team that lost to Boston was so, so, so much better than that 94 team. The teams with Mookie, Smitty, Deke and Laettner were also better than the 94 team. That 94 team had no chance vs Indiana and would have got swept by the Knicks and humiliated by the Rockets.

• Premium Member
Dude, I have no idea what you're talking about here. 'Nique came back with a vengeance after his Achilles tendon tear. It seemed as if he was jumping higher after the injury than before the injury.

Look at Nique's last season in Atlanta. Then look at the rest of his career. He had an immediate decline after that tendon tear and he became a jump shooter with occasional low post scoring after it. He wasn't the same player. The numbers don't lie. His last season in Atlanta was his last year as being the Nique we all remember. His years in Boston were just humiliating to watch as a fan.

• Premium Member
You like to fix history too?

There was a lot that went on between Nique and Deke.

First and foremost, we traded Kevin Willis for Steve Smith and Grant Long. When then signed Kenny the Snake Norman as a replacement for Manning. What gave us room for Deke was the fact that we tricked Detroit into taking Stacy Augmon and Grant Long for first round picks in the future. Detroit was our main competition for Deke and when they took on those contracts, they could no longer afford Deke and we could.

Nique and Manning really had no real effect on us getting Deke. I mean, we spent the money and a pick (if I'm not mistaken) to get Norman. Had we not done that we could have afforded Deke and Manning (assuming the same trade of Augmon). The other thing is a little thing I like to call Laettner & Rooks for Spud and Lang. Did you forget about that brilliant Move in babcock history? I think that played more heavily in us having money than Nique and Manning. There were just too many years between to jump to that wrong conclusion.

The point I made still stands: if we had resigned Nique or Manning we wouldn't have had the room to sign Deke. And btw the major rival to signing Deke back then wasn't Detroit it was Denver, he almost resigned there until Babs convinced him to sign here.

• Premium Member
The point I made still stands: if we had resigned Nique or Manning we wouldn't have had the room to sign Deke. And btw the major rival to signing Deke back then wasn't Detroit it was Denver, he almost resigned there until Babs convinced him to sign here.

You're still funny. Next time, be willing to do homework...

DETROIT -- The Detroit Pistons reportedly plan to make an offer to Denver Nuggets free agent center Dikembe Mutombo as soon as July 9, according to a published report.

Citing unidentified league sources, The Detroit News reported Sunday the Pistons have put together a 5-year offer worth $50 million for Mutombo.

``We can't talk about free agents,'' Pistons coach Doug Collins said.

``But we want to have some options where we can add another bigger, stronger player.''

And More research...

Dikembe Mutombo became the latest NBA free agent to hit the jackpot Monday when the 7-2 center left the Denver Nuggets to sign a five-year deal with the Atlanta Hawks believed to be worth $50 million.

"I've never been in anything more crazy than what has happened over the last few days," Detroit Pistons coach Doug Collins said. "This is a real negative for the NBA. You've got people fighting over players, overpaying them and breaking up franchises."

Mutombo, whose signing highlighted a flurry of NBA wheeling and dealing, became the fourth client of sports attorney David Falk to land a rich new deal since Friday.

BTW, I hope you noticed that both Atlanta and Detroit were willing to offer 5 year 50 Million dollar deals at the time...

More research.

Here's part of a commentary about Bickerstaff botching the Mutombo deal.

Let's talk about Mutombo. Somehow, some way, Bickerstaff (with Lyons' approval) allowed his most valuable commodity to walk out the door without compensation. This was an unpardonable sin, a monumental mistake. But Bickerstaff wasn't at fault here. It was Mutombo's fault because the Big Fella became selfish. It was the salary cap's fault because it made keeping Mutombo fiscally imprudent. It was never Bernie's fault. Never.

One last nail for your coffin...

Mutombo, a 7-foot-2 center who played all five of his seasons with Denver and led the league in blocks the last three seasons, signed a five-year contract believed to be worth at least $50 million.

"It was time for me to move on with my life," Mutombo said.

The Hawks also traded swingman Stacey Augmon and forward Grant Long to the Detroit Pistons for two first-round and two second-round draft picks.

I love how you come on here with no research, making claims and then you say...

"What I say still stands"

Notice how my story checks out!! Long and Augmon traded to Detroit for Picks... That's what made the room for us to get Deke.

This is not the Busch League Ron!!!

Do your homework before you try changing history.

Edited by Diesel

to bigmanharris of sohh.com i jacked yo 5hit nikka what the phuck you gonna do.

Naw im just kidding, i would have asked but sohh wont let me become a member since i have a free email account(like all yall got paid accounts smh)...so whatever.

Edited by hoodstar