• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Boston Globe: Hawks dangling Marvin for cash?

mrhonline

• Premium Member

Globe

Which direction for Hawks?

The Hawks have taken big steps the past two years, making it back to the playoffs for the first time since 1999 last year and advancing to the second round for the first time since 1997 this season. But will Atlanta take a big step back next season?The Hawks have key free agents in point guard Mike Bibby, small forward Marvin Williams, and center Zaza Pachulia, as well as Solomon Jones, Mario West, and Thomas Gardner.

As of now, Atlanta has only $40.8 million in committed salary next season, but it remains to be seen whether the fiscally challenged ownership will do what it takes to bring back Bibby, Williams, and Pachulia, or bring in some notable free agents.

There have been rumors of Williams being dangled in a sign-and-trade for cash. Don't be surprised if talented yet unused guard Acie Law, the 11th overall pick in the 2007 draft, is moved, too.

For a franchise that seems to be going in the right direction and has the 19th overall pick this year, it would be a shame if the Hawks digress after taking such big strides of late.

"I love the guys. I love the coaching staff. I love the city," said Bibby, 31, who made $14.9 million this season. "So we'll see what happens."

I think we can all agree, even Diesel, that this would be a terrible move.

Wanted to share it anyway.

Edited by mrhonline

Globe

I think we can all agree, even Diesel, that this would be a terrible move.

Wanted to share it anyway.

I saw this on RealGM. Pretty disappointing that we're hurting for money that bad. If we trade him for no players, I dont see how that will make us better...unless we're using that money on another player who is as good if not better then Marvin.

Just dawned on me that "dangling Marvin in a sign-and-trade for cash" makes no sense...

If the Hawks want cash, they should just let Marvin go...

I'm calling false on this article...

Plus, apparently the Boston Globe writer doesn't know what "digress" means. Probably meant "regress."

But, heck, maybe the FO is playing politics-leaking false stories to drive down Marvin's value.

• Premium Member

I would almost guarantee that Law is on the block because the Hawks know they're drafting a PG at 19.

But the package would almost certainly revolve around some combo of Law, Claxton, Morris.

I would almost guarantee that Law is on the block because the Hawks know they're drafting a PG at 19.

But the package would almost certainly revolve around some combo of Law, Claxton, Morris.

yeah right

Edited by Cwell

• Premium Member
Just dawned on me that "dangling Marvin in a sign-and-trade for cash" makes no sense...

If the Hawks want cash, they should just let Marvin go...

I'm calling false on this article...

If I could decode, I think they mean, we're dangling Marvin for a future first round pick...

In order to do that, we'd have to talk to a team with capspace.

From the top of my head, the only teams that would come close to being able to do that are: Detroit, Oklahoma City(?), and Memphis.

Memphis could have the 6th pick. IF Sund could convert Marvin into a 6th pick in this draft, I would give him higher billing.

The reason young point guards don't make it is because they don't have an offense to play it. It takes a seasoned pg to be able to do that. Without an offense we are throwing another potential guy into the morass.

Riiight, who other than Joe could the offense be run through? Al? JSmith? Marvin?

crickets...

Zaza is the only other offensive go to. The offensive scheme is handcuffed by no offensive talent other than Joe, Flip, Bibs and Zaza (because he actually tries to score In The Paint).

Riiight, who other than Joe could the offense be run through? Al? JSmith? Marvin?

crickets...

Zaza is the only other offensive go to. The offensive scheme is handcuffed by no offensive talent other than Joe, Flip, Bibs and Zaza (because he actually tries to score In The Paint).

It's safe to say our offensive game plan needs to be revamped if Zaza is part of the cog that makes our offense go. I love his hustle and aggressiveness around the basket. But when he's on the floor, he has to be one of our last options to run sets through of the 5 on the floor.

• Moderators

It's safe to say our offensive game plan needs to be revamped if Zaza is part of the cog that makes our offense go. I love his hustle and aggressiveness around the basket. But when he's on the floor, he has to be one of our last options to run sets through of the 5 on the floor.

Seriously, how hard would it be to put Smith, Marvin and/or Horford in a position to succeed offensively? A lot of coaches would LOVE that kind of opportunity to shape their offense to take advantage of these guys.

• Premium Member

I think this is the first time I've read of a team with a free agent, restricted or not, that would want to sign them just to trade for cash purposes. Who researched this article in Boston? If you needed money that bad you just wouldn't sign the guy for crying out loud.

Seriously, how hard would it be to put Smith, Marvin and/or Horford in a position to succeed offensively? A lot of coaches would LOVE that kind of opportunity to shape their offense to take advantage of these guys.

Not that difficult. You're right, other coaches would drool over the talent the Hawks boast in their starting five. Bibbs, Horf, Smoove, JJ, Marv. All five have strengths at the offensive end, and all could be utilized in some fashion. Once again, we've come full circle back to the root of the problem....coaching.

We unfortunately we may find out. I hate to see what any of our players will evolve into once they escape the clutches of Woody. I got the strangest feeling that we are going to regret letting Marv go if it is true.

Who exactly are we going after? If they are going to allow Woody some say and he preaches defense who is out there that can replace Marvin. I keep hearing that we need another scorer. But common sense says "Are there enough shots to go around". Like I said in the previous post we have JJ-Smoove-Bibby-Marv-Horf as our options in that order. It sounds like you all want an all-star 25 ppg a game scorer in Marvin's place. Where are the shots going to come from. Maybe we can do a Bruce Bowen for Marvin straight up!! Or how about we bring in Shawn Marion? You guys don't consider the dynamics on both offense and defense! I mean he gets knocked for not averaging 25 a game. Do you guys realize how very little Marv even touches the ball. Even when he has 15-20 points he only takes 8 or 9 shots. In this current setup there are simply not enough shots to go around and iso Joe is the only offense we run. I read on realgm that 43% of Marv's shots come with 8 seconds remaining on the shot clock!! Some coach is going to put the finishing touches on this kid and have a stud on their hands.

Edited by Wurider05