• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Boston Globe: Hawks dangling Marvin for cash?

mrhonline

We unfortunately we may find out. I hate to see what any of our players will evolve into once they escape the clutches of Woody. I got the strangest feeling that we are going to regret letting Marv go if it is true.

Who exactly are we going after? If they are going to allow Woody some say and he preaches defense who is out there that can replace Marvin. I keep hearing that we need another scorer. But common sense says "Are there enough shots to go around". Like I said in the previous post we have JJ-Smoove-Bibby-Marv-Horf as our options in that order. It sounds like you all want an all-star 25 ppg a game scorer in Marvin's place. Where are the shots going to come from. Maybe we can do a Bruce Bowen for Marvin straight up!! Or how about we bring in Shawn Marion? You guys don't consider the dynamics on both offense and defense! I mean he gets knocked for not averaging 25 a game. Do you guys realize how very little Marv even touches the ball. Even when he has 15-20 points he only takes 8 or 9 shots. In this current setup there are simply not enough shots to go around and iso Joe is the only offense we run. I read on realgm that 43% of Marv's shots come with 8 seconds remaining on the shot clock!! Some coach is going to put the finishing touches on this kid and have a stud on their hands.

Interesting stat. May open some more eyes at our lack of offense. I would like to know how many of Smoove's three's were attempted with the shot clock at that number or below.

Just dawned on me that "dangling Marvin in a sign-and-trade for cash" makes no sense...

If the Hawks want cash, they should just let Marvin go...

I'm calling false on this article...

Exactly what I am thinking. If they were trading him for cash the most they could receive back is $3 million. But we would also have to take on some money with Marvin being traded. Sounds like a Sam Smith type article.

We need to place a call to Hawksfanatic on this one. I'm referring to him as "The Capologist" from this day forward.

Thanks, but really MrH is just as knowledgeable (if not more) on the CBA and Salary Cap.

• Premium Member

The problem with this article is that it was written by Marc J. Spears.

This guy is no Vecsey or Sam Smith. This guy is respected. He's been a ESPN writer since about 93. He was one of the young guys who was compared to David Aldridge in his ability to work a source and present facts.

Spears saying it means that whatever it is, it has teeth.

I hate it because I want to see Acie blossom with us.

I hate it because it means we're probably going to keep Bibby.

I hate it because I guess it means that we're going after a Sf or SG.

But then again, we may bring Chillz back?

:write a letter:

Thing is, I don't think we can chalk this up to sensational authoring. I think we have to look at this as being a real deal rumor.

I wouldn't be so quick to discredit the rumor. Granted it may not be correct technically but that doesn't mean it should be dismissed.

The Hawks could very well trade Marvin for an expirer, $3 million in cash and a future first. That would certainly be better than letting him walk for nothing assuming they don't want to resign him.

• Premium Member
Do you guys realize how very little Marv even touches the ball. Even when he has 15-20 points he only takes 8 or 9 shots.

I don't believe Marvin took enough shots to qualify for ESPN's point-per-shot stat. Oh, the irony.

I believe he'd be top25 in the NBA, and much higher for forwards.

I did go over to B-R.com, and looked at other players who:

*Played at least 1000 minutes (significant minutes)

*Avg. at least 14 ppg/36 min, but took less than 12 FGA/36 min (efficiency)

*Took at least 2 3PA/36 min (perimeter threat)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/tiny.cgi?id=E01bP

Guards:

DJ Augustin

Rudy Fernandez

Jarrett Jack

Roger Mason

CJ Watson

Forwards:

Troy Murphy

Boris Diaw

Marvin Williams

Marvin got to the FT line more than any of them, took the least shots, was 2nd in rebounding & blocks, had the fewest turnovers, and committed the 2nd least fouls.

And still, to so many, he's "not Chris Paul." If there's a player in the NBA ready to 'break out,' it's Marvin Williams.

Edited by mrhonline

And still, to so many, he's "not Chris Paul." If there's a player in the NBA ready to 'break out,' it's Marvin Williams.

These guys around here don't seem to like efficiency. They want someone who needs 20 shots a game or someone who chucks ill advised three pointers or perhaps some who can score but can't play defense. Bottomline he produces but doesn't need to ball alot to give you solid stats. It is plain common sense give him a bigger role on the offense and watch this kid give you 20-25 a game easy. He is ready!!!

These guys around here don't seem to like efficiency. They want someone who needs 20 shots a game or someone who chucks ill advised three pointers or perhaps some who can score but can't play defense. Bottomline he produces but doesn't need to ball alot to give you solid stats. It is plain common sense give him a bigger role on the offense and watch this kid give you 20-25 a game easy. He is ready!!!

Giving him a bigger role, or more opportunities to score, will give him the ball more. However, Woody has to be the one to allow for these opportunities. In the current system, he's a spot up shooter, or he has to create on his own. He has limited movement without the ball, no screens being set for him, etc.

Marvin is ready! The system isn't ready.

• Premium Member

Dieselputer says...

It may be possible that we have worked out a deal with Bibby. Prolly around 8 million or so.

The follow up of trading Marvin for Capspace.... I think this is done to ensure that we can resign both Horf and Joe in 2010. Or maybe we have a figure for Joe to sign this summer (to keep him happy). Either way, trading Marvin clears up future cap space.

That tells me that we also move Acie...

Acie's set to make 2.2 Million or so. If we moved him for a pick... probably to a team that's picking late... That could be a savings of about 1.2 Million.

Finally. The move would have to include resigning Chillz. I think when Marvin went out, we saw that we could win without Marvin. So, getting a much cheaper Chillz would help.

Now the question becomes, is that ALL.

Dieselputer says no.

There's still the possibility of Mo, First, and Speedy for Hinrich.

There's also the possibility that we have targeted a big.

What is the target is Dalembert?

WHat about Heywood?

and of course, there's always Bosh.

:beer: I'm really going to enjoy watching Marvin next year. Where ever he might be.......