• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What goals should Woody set for next season?

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

I give him props on having the guts to state what he expected from this team in the media then going out and accomplishing it.

Two Things:

I would love to hear Woody declare .500 or better on the road or bust. This puts pressure on the coaching staff and team to focus more on away games. Secondly, for you guys itching to get Woody gone, it gives the ASG an easy out to dump Woody after his contract runs out. Now Woody would not be able to hide behind those meaningless wins.

Next I would love to hear Woody make a public declaration to focus on developing his bench especially Acie Law. We can't blame Acie's slow progression all on Woody but Woody's track record at developing talent is still putrid at best. At some point he has to take responsibly for these drafted players severely under-performing. Not much to ask from a head coach right?

Edited by NineOhTheRino

I give him props on having the guts to state what he expected from this team in the media then going out and accomplishing it.

Two Things:

I would love to hear Woody declare .500 or better on the road or bust. This puts pressure on the coaching staff and team to focus more on away games. Secondly, for you guys itching to get Woody gone, it gives the ASG an easy out to dump Woody after his contract runs out. Now Woody would not be able to hide behind those meaningless wins.

Next I would love to hear Woody make a public declaration to focus on developing his bench especially Acie Law. We can't blame Acie's slow progression all on Woody but Woody's track record at developing talent is still putrid at best. At some point he has to take responsibly for these drafted players severely under-performing. Not much to ask from a head coach right?

Rehashing Sund's comments with Bradley.

MB: You liked Acie Law …

RS: I liked him. I didn’t draft him – I inherited him – but I thought it was a pretty solid draft pick, and I liked him when I saw him in college. Like most rookies, he didn’t get a lot of playing time. We knew when we brought in Flip that [Law’s] minutes were going to be suspect if Flip was a good fit, which he was. So he ended up being the ninth man, which is typical of a lot of guys in their second year. And I really thought the first half of the season he was contributing in that ninth-man role. Then he got hurt. And then, as the season progressed – and this is typical – [Woodson] tightened the rotation. That’s what you do because you want to get into the playoffs.

My interpretation, if Sund was satisfied with Acie being the "ninth" man, this can't be good for Acie's development as a Hawk. Especially if we draft a PG, or resign Bibbs and or Flip. The scenario looks bleak for Acie every being the type of player for the Hawks that we envisioned at the 9 pick. I can't see Woodson making a public statement that a focus in 09/10 is to develop Acie more as a player. I don't think he would want to add the pressure or hold himself accountable if that didn't happen.

Sund has all but stated what the team needs to accomplish

1. Stay elite at home (30+ wins)

2. Become elite on the road (20+ wins)

That's what Sund cares about. How Woodson gets us there is up to Woody.

One caveat, is that Sund seems concerned about JJ's statement of being tired. Sund more or less said that JJ being tired in the 2nd round won't cut it. If the Hawks are to win a championship, JJ has to be ready to play another month of basketball.

If we are to follow our past progresion then I think reasonalbe goals are:

1. Become a top 5 Defensive team (were not far off)

2. 55+ wins (only 8 more than this year)

3. Win the Division (or at least seriously challenge for it)

4. Get a top 3 seed in playoffs (preferably #2 seed)

5. Reach the 3rd round (and dont get swept)

6. Impove FT shooting %

7. Develop the bench (Depth is key for a deep playoff run)

8. Joe avg 37 mpg max

*alot of this depends on who comes back*

6. Impove FT shooting %

8. Joe avg 37 mpg max

pretty solid ideas....

6. Impove FT shooting %

8. Joe avg 37 mpg max

You do realize we are talking about the Atlanta Hawks here, right?

• Premium Member

6. Impove FT shooting %

8. Joe avg 37 mpg max

Everything else seems doable. However, if Sund doesn't address some key personnel issues then Woddy's days are nimbered for sure. If Woody isn't given better options at the 1 and 5 then Sund is almost setting woody up for failure. It's all about the players and since this team does not have a great player at any position (yes that includes JJ) then Sund damn well better make sure he has a player that can at least compete at every position. Hawks had no answer defensively versus big centers and fast guards all year long.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

6. Impove FT shooting %

8. Joe avg 37 mpg max

Great ideas. In theory. Winning 55 plus games, a 2 seed in the East, and getting to the ECF is extremely lofty. I know goals need to be high but... Broken record... unless we address the "O" factor, teams will simply refer to the 09 playoffs as a way to beat the Hawks. It's not hard to prepare for us, and we're not the lowly old Hawks anymore. Unless we change things up, the blueprint for defending us is simple and wins will become much more difficult in the regular season.

Two Things:

I think this year the players need to set the goal for themselves. The last two seasons we've achieved the goals Woody set, but this year it seemed like the players quit once they met it. They wanted the 4th seed so they could have a game seven at home if necessary. To me, it looked like they played the Miami series so they could have a game seven at home when they could have beat them quicker. They got to the goal Woody set of getting to the 2nd round and once they got there, they quit. If the Hawks don't have a true leader in the locker room they at least need to lead themselves for once. Are they never going to compete for a title until Woody tells them they are allowed?

• Premium Member
I think this year the players need to set the goal for themselves. The last two seasons we've achieved the goals Woody set, but this year it seemed like the players quit once they met it. They wanted the 4th seed so they could have a game seven at home if necessary. To me, it looked like they played the Miami series so they could have a game seven at home when they could have beat them quicker. They got to the goal Woody set of getting to the 2nd round and once they got there, they quit. If the Hawks don't have a true leader in the locker room they at least need to lead themselves for once. Are they never going to compete for a title until Woody tells them they are allowed?

ASG should give Woody a 4 year extension. That's right. Give the man long term security or fire him now. The #1 criticism of Woody for a while now has been his failure to develop young players. What motivation will the man have to develop young player if he knows that he won't be around to benefit from that player's success?

Edited by NineOhTheRino