• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What's with all the trade Smoove discussions

00Blink

While Josh Smith is not in his prime, I don't think he has shown enough improvement in his first five years in the league to think that he will make the leap to super star in the next five.

I mean seriously. "Enough" improvement. The fact that he has improved EACH year and that he works on his game EVERY off season and that he strives to better himself is proof enough. What does he has to do, increase 5 pts and 3 rebs and 2 blks every year to prove that he is showing "enough" improvement. Who was the most consistent and ready Hawk in the playoffs this year. JJ-(in the voice of Chris Rock) HELL NO!!, Bibby-2nd most,-Horford (before injury)-nothing, Zaza-1 beast game and a couple of nice complementary games, Flip-3rd but did have boneheaded plays and more than Smith and has a even more "free reign" than JJ. Who was it? We all know, say it with me now!?! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by SmooveHawksFan

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Do you have any idea how hard it is to be a 25/10 player? I mean seriously do you? Go look at top scorers and rebounders for the last 10 years and see how many 25/10 players are in the NBA. Not 22/8, not 21/9...25/10 or better.

me personally, i would trade Joe since(to me and Hotlanta1981) is declining each year. i dont see joe shooting better or be any more efficient than if we bring amare or bosh here for smoove unless we have a a totally different offense.

So us on Hawksquawk bring up smoove because he is our 2nd best player(based on stats) but our most valuable player. so in all likely hood smoove will be the one we have to give up for amare or bosh.

If i owned the hawks i would trade joe for JR Smith, gordan or some young SG (might as well get a scoring talent on the up the a declining scorer on the down)+filler and a draft pick for a big man(mainly for defense). with our original draft we should get a point guard this year, resign marvin and flip.

but outside of the point guard pick up we might not see any of those things happen.

That's why you're not the owner.

Fact is he hasn't hit his cieling and saying so is pure hilarity. For a player to be so young and improve every year of his career while playing for the same coach whom many wan't to ridicule for not having a system denotes talent doesn't it? Had the guy gone to college and just came out this would be his sophmore season in the league. Would you say to any other rookie out of college that their stats in their sophmore season will denote the ceiling of what they'd be able to achieve through out the rest of their career? Take your keyboard across you face right now if you do.

The only guys (who are rumored to be on trading block) I would trade Smith for are:

1. Bosh 25 years old

2. Stoudemire 26 years old

Both young and indisputable allstars.

Too make the trade even more complicated we would have to sign either of these players to an extension to make the trade worth our while.

Nothing wrong with dreaming for 1 of 2 young 6'10'' allstars.

Edited by coachx

I hope so since JJ is right at 28.

Sund said it himself, I don't know the exact quote but he said something along the lines that Joe, ZaZa,Bibby, Mo and Flip are the only players on the roster that have reached their limit in terms of how much they can improve. Joe is going to be a consistent 20,6 and 4 player for the rest of his career, there's not going to be a 30ppg explosion in his stats. I have no issue with that, those are solid numbers to peak at and considering that no one else on the roster has peaked, this team if kept together and developed correctly will become truly dangerous around Joe.

Name them.

Do you really think Smith will be as good as Howard, Wade, Paul, Duncan ....and so on are now? Geez

If he has better shot selection and mans the post more, he is a 25 and 10 players along with 5 assists and 3 blocks a game.

If a doughnut didn't have a hole it would be a danish. And when has Smith ever shown the ability to be a 10 rebound player?

How do you come to that analysis or conclusion when he has improved each year and continues to work in the off season to better himself.

All that work and he still can't shoot a lick. I am not saying he has definitely reached his peak but i am saying that at some point you have to accept him for what he is instead of hoping he will magically become something else.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to be a 25/10 player? I mean seriously do you? Go look at top scorers and rebounders for the last 10 years and see how many 25/10 players are in the NBA. Not 22/8, not 21/9...25/10 or better.

thats why i put him to only getting 10 rebounds twice. and his highest scoring season i predicted was 23.

When you're at 19/8.5 a game and you don't stay in the paint...and you're only 23...easy...especially if you continue to work on your game, in which he has shown that he not is willing to do but, DETERMINED. There is a difference. He isn't willing to put in the work to get there, he is determined to get there. If he takes 3 less jumpers a game and take those shots in the post and make his free throws, he is that THIS year. He missed a number of fts a game, he was only 55%, nearly half missed. He could've had that this year. I'm willing to be he works on that this offseason and I'm quite sure he can grab an extra 1.5 rebs a game if he is in the paint 20-25% more of the time. Thank you sir, may I have another!!

Siemper Fi, Hoorah!!

Edited by SmooveHawksFan

The only guys (who are rumored to be on trading block) I would trade Smith for are:

1. Bosh 25 years old

2. Stoudemire 26 years old

Both young and indisputable allstars.

Too make the trade even more complicated we would have to sign either of these players to an extension to make the trade worth our while.

Nothing wrong with dreaming for 1 of 2 young 6'10'' allstars.

These the only 2 I would trade smoove for, and skeptical about Amare because of his injury history at so young in the league, 3 major injuries

Isn't the talent and skill peak and prime for an NBA player between 28 and 32? How old is Smoove again? Well I guess we'll never see his cuz he wont be here, thanks ya'll.

from what ive read the MAJORITY say that a player enters his prime at 26. i had alot on 28 but 26 was the majority so i went with that.

Smoove probably wont be here when he enters that time.

Smoovethefan, there are alot of players better than smoove. unless your talking about a specific group of players. Smoove is a hell of a talent but he only averaged 15.6. 7.2 rebounds this past season. A down season. this upcoming season i expect to get the smoove we love in 07/08.

If it aint for bosh or Amare then dont trade smith. unless some spectacular trade comes up that we have to be dumb as a pack of rocks to not do.

Edited by hoodstar

from what ive read the MAJORITY say that a player enters his prime at 26. i had alot on 28 but 26 was the majority so i went with that.

Smoove probably wont be here when he enters that time.

If Smith is not here at 26............it would only be b/c we got an upgrade who is also in their prime:

Bosh is only 25

Stoudemire is only 26

If the hawks pull the plug on Josh Smith now, we are going to regret it. This kid has the potential to be a top ten player in this league and I believe he will reach his potential. Heck a case could be made that if he had better coaching he would of reached his potential sooner.

Do you really think Smith will be as good as Howard, Wade, Paul, Duncan ....and so on are now? Geez

At his respective position, yes...Howard is just a dominant presence plain and simple, the new and improved Shaq, Wade has the game and skillset to go with the mentality--aggressive, assertive player who can score at will from the outside, inside, penetrate and get teammates involved, A LEADER, Paul is the best at his position for now, and Duncan is a consistent go to franchise player....

Can Josh develop those traits...YES. He has a dominating presence when he's focused and on his game on both ends of the floor--Howard, he has the mentality to be aggressive and assertive--that's why he shoot toooo much (jumpers) he needs the skillset--he has the slashing ability and is developing the post ability--needs to work on his jumper and shot selection--and he wants to be a leader--needs to mature a bit-DWade, Smith can be the best at his position with a better shot selection and jumper and a coach to discipline him and define his role and a pg to get him easy buckets a la Paul to West, was our best and most consistent player in the playoffs

If a doughnut didn't have a hole it would be a danish. And when has Smith ever shown the ability to be a 10 rebound player?

Come on bruh...is it that naive to think that Smith can't grab 10 boards a game if he is in the hole more, he only needs to grab 2 more a game

All that work and he still can't shoot a lick. I am not saying he has definitely reached his peak but i am saying that at some point you have to accept him for what he is instead of hoping he will magically become something else.

So how did his fg% increase even with the increase in jumpshots....he needs to work on it more, but I would say he needs to work on his shot selection and range definition more than his jumper....he shot 49% on the season....how? And he is not a "volume" shooter

[size=4]2008-09 Statistics FG 3PT FT Rebounds Misc

G MIN FGM-A FG% 3PM-A 3P% FTM-A FT% OFF DEF TOT STL BLK TO PF AST PTS

Season 69 35.1 418-849 .492 26-87 .299 211-359 .588 1.9 5.3 7.2 1.36 1.61 2.33 2.67 2.4 15.6

Career 376 33.4 1975-4351 .454 127-471 .270 1185-1744 .679 2.1 5.3 7.4 1.17 2.39 2.47 2.95 2.6 14.0

2008-09 Playoffs FG 3PT FT Rebounds Misc

G MIN FGM-A FG% 3PM-A 3P% FTM-A FT% OFF DEF TOT STL BLK TO PF AST PTS

Totals 11 37.3 67-159 .421 2-15 .133 52-71 .732 2.2 5.3 7.5 1.09 1.55 1.91 3.27 2.2 17.1

vs. CLE 4 36.3 26-62 .419 0-1 .000 22-30 .733 1.8 3.3 5.0 .25 1.00 2.00 2.50 2.0 18.5

vs. MIA 7 37.9 41-97 .423 2-14 .143 30-41 .732 2.4 6.4 8.9 1.57 1.86 1.86 3.71 2.3 16.3

Edited by SmooveHawksFan

smoove is not going anywhere. period. the only way he gets moved is if somehow woody has some serious dirty laundry on atl spirit and forces him out while getting his own contract extention.

we all see what smoove is from the fan's perspective, but what is he to the owners' perspective? young, healthy, big highlights and local interest to get fanbase support, and most importantly CHEAP for what he brings to the table. no way you can bring in another player that provides everything that josh provides at the price he does it for. you may be able to find someone on a rookie contract, but if so, then their team wouldn't be likely to want to get rid of that player not to mention their rookie contract would likely expire before smooves.

yeah, as fans it would seem logical to say lets trade smoove for this or that player upgrade (that comes at a higher price). but if there is ONE thing the ownership (and their court battle) has shown us is that they are cash strapped. they aren't going to raise the payroll more than they have to. why would they invest all that money, losing money, only to lose the team to belkin at the end of the day and not get any kind of compensation into their investment? why did they extend woody, and are keeping him around despite obvious deficiencies that we ALL can see? because he is inexpensive.

what are the ideal players to them? young, exciting, cheap.

what are amare and bosh? young, exciting, not so cheap.

what is josh smith? young, exciting, cheap.

check.

check.

check.

the end.

Who is this 19/8.5 player you are talking about?

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

I misspoke...HONESTLY...when I was typing that, I was thinking that is what I expect Smoove to be around next year...but I recant