• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Woody meets with Rick Sund

NJHAWK

• Premium Member

Woody doesn't know it yet, but he's getting ready to lay down on his sword. There will be no extension. I am intrigue by one thing. Woody said that there is no one more loyal to the organization than me. If that truly is the case, then he shouldn't mind the Hawks bringing in a top notch offensive coordinator? Unfortunately, Sund doesn't have the balls to do it. Sund is very standoffish when it comes to making moves. He'd rather Woody make the move... I guess so it will be Woody's fault. One thing we can't have is a GM who is always positioning himself in positions so that he won't be blamed?

If you're scared of being fired, you won't be bold and you won't do things that this team needs done.

That is the same way I feel. I mean something has to give this offseason. Are you going to shake the roster up because our talent is the problem or is it the coach. He is riding the fence big time here. I mean he will be a lame buck coach next year are they going to listen to his input on what moves to make when he is a lame duck. I don't see much difference between Sund and BK is some aspects. BK didn't to the media and the local radio guys hated him for that but Sund talks to the media but he really isn't saying anything but towing the company line. Sund is a professional GM he has been around for a long time. He was brought in to manage the team on the Jeep. It is obvious they want Woody gone but can't afford to pay him and someone else. They sure as hell don't want to pay a real coach.

• Premium Member
That is the same way I feel. I mean something has to give this offseason. Are you going to shake the roster up because our talent is the problem or is it the coach. He is riding the fence big time here. I mean he will be a lame buck coach next year are they going to listen to his input on what moves to make when he is a lame duck. I don't see much difference between Sund and BK is some aspects. BK didn't to the media and the local radio guys hated him for that but Sund talks to the media but he really isn't saying anything but towing the company line. Sund is a professional GM he has been around for a long time. He was brought in to manage the team on the Jeep. It is obvious they want Woody gone but can't afford to pay him and someone else. They sure as hell don't want to pay a real coach.

I respect BK a little more because he didn't get on the radio and tow the company line. He wasn't straight with the people either, but I guess in that position you can't afford to be straight with the people. He did host meetings for "shareholders" though and he was straight then.

The main difference between the two is that I believe BK had more elements to his plan and I think Sund is just a babysitter. I don't think BK ever intended on Woody coaching for this long. He knew of the splits in the locker room. I think BK just wanted Woody to train the Hawks in defense and he would eventually bring another coach in. According to ajc last year... BK would have resigned both Josh's last summer and knew that with somebody else coming in, they would lose one of them. I worry about what BK would have done in the upcoming draft. Probably another swingman. I think Sund is more willing to trade some of our pieces. I don't think BK would have been so quick to do so.

Still, I'm disappointed nobody has asked Sund about his plan. His vision. Honestly, I don't think he really has one. Listening the other day, he likes iso joe and he believes that you don't need the conventional 1-5. It's hard to believe this coming from the guy who spent three first round lottery picks on Centers.

Woody doesn't know it yet, but he's getting ready to lay down on his sword. There will be no extension. I am intrigue by one thing. Woody said that there is no one more loyal to the organization than me. If that truly is the case, then he shouldn't mind the Hawks bringing in a top notch offensive coordinator? Unfortunately, Sund doesn't have the balls to do it. Sund is very standoffish when it comes to making moves. He'd rather Woody make the move... I guess so it will be Woody's fault. One thing we can't have is a GM who is always positioning himself in positions so that he won't be blamed?

If you're scared of being fired, you won't be bold and you won't do things that this team needs done.

You are 100% x 100% correct here sir. Sunds interview with Bradley came off to me asa guy who didnt even work for the Atlanta Hawks. When asked about help on offense he said thats Woody's decision. When asked about Acie he said thats up to Woody. When asked about how players played this year he said he was waiting for the coaches report cards on them. Um does this guy even work for us? lol The way he talks the Hawks should just add gm to Woody's title and save themselves Sund's salary.

I worry about what BK would have done in the upcoming draft. Probably another swingman.

He would have drafted Derrick Brown my boy from Xavier and I at least would have been thrilled.

That's assuming Woody continues on the path he is on. You could look at it from the opposite perspective in that Sund is giving him a chance to succeed on his own. I agree with you that Sund is leaving Woody out there to sink or swim, and is holding him accountable for decisions - whether positive or negative.

• Moderators

I'll admit I have always been a fan of BK despite his mistakes. Seems like the biggest criticism he routinely faced was the fact that he was stand-offish to the media. But really what's the difference between not talking and not saying anything of substance.

I'll admit I have always been a fan of BK despite his mistakes. Seems like the biggest criticism he routinely faced was the fact that he was stand-offish to the media. But really what's the difference between not talking and not saying anything of substance.

Billy Knight did a not more good than bad. If BK could just evaluate point guards he would still be our GM.

Hawk88

• Premium Member

No, his biggest criticism was his laughable view of point guards as in he didn't think they were anything special to a team and you could get buy with truly mediocre players at the point. His draft failures are also worthy of criticism.

That's assuming Woody continues on the path he is on. You could look at it from the opposite perspective in that Sund is giving him a chance to succeed on his own. I agree with you that Sund is leaving Woody out there to sink or swim, and is holding him accountable for decisions - whether positive or negative.

My take on the retaining Woodson but no extension is that there is significant in-fighting with the ASG. Half of the owners want him gone and the other half want him retained. My guess is that Sund would rather hire his own guy (what GM wouldn't?). This is the compromise that has been worked out. Woodson has 1 year to meet some set of new goals, possibly these:

1- continue being elite at home (30+ wins)

2- win 20+ on the road

The iso-Joe offense isn't going to get us there. Therefore, Woodson either asks for help offensively, or he hangs himself on his putrid offense.

Not given Woodson an extension is significant in my mind. It gives Sund the freedom to replace Woodson early on in the season if the team doesn't come out playing well at the beginning of the season.

My issue is that we are going to see the starters play HUGE minutes next season

My take on the retaining Woodson but no extension is that there is significant in-fighting with the ASG. Half of the owners want him gone and the other half want him retained. My guess is that Sund would rather hire his own guy (what GM wouldn't?). This is the compromise that has been worked out. Woodson has 1 year to meet some set of new goals, possibly these:

1- continue being elite at home (30+ wins)

2- win 20+ on the road

The iso-Joe offense isn't going to get us there. Therefore, Woodson either asks for help offensively, or he hangs himself on his putrid offense.

Not given Woodson an extension is significant in my mind. It gives Sund the freedom to replace Woodson early on in the season if the team doesn't come out playing well at the beginning of the season.

My issue is that we are going to see the starters play HUGE minutes next season

Assuming that the same cast is back next year don't you think that the Hawks can come back and win 3 more road games next season to achieve those goals even if nothing else changes (such as the offense)? I sure as hell wouldn't bet on that as we could have easily won 3 more road games this season if we had a little better health. I don't think it's wise to set an x amount of wins to determine whether or not a coach is retained or fired. I think that the goal should be getting deep into the playoffs next season and if we achieve that then he can come back, if not then it's time to replace him.

Assuming that the same cast is back next year don't you think that the Hawks can come back and win 3 more road games next season to achieve those goals even if nothing else changes (such as the offense)? I sure as hell wouldn't bet on that as we could have easily won 3 more road games this season if we had a little better health. I don't think it's wise to set an x amount of wins to determine whether or not a coach is retained or fired. I think that the goal should be getting deep into the playoffs next season and if we achieve that then he can come back, if not then it's time to replace him.

I would hope that getting deep in the playoffs is a goal. I am just going off of what Sund has stated in several interviews over the past week or so.

However, given the current team, is it likely that the team could make the Eastern Conference finals? I just don't know. It seems to me the Hawks are missing a critical piece to get past the 2nd round. I think that piece is a defensive, pass-first point, but can make shots when open. I would also like more size, but I think the Hawks could be OK by getting another 7' that can make a real contribution, unlike Morris.

I would hope that getting deep in the playoffs is a goal. I am just going off of what Sund has stated in several interviews over the past week or so.

However, given the current team, is it likely that the team could make the Eastern Conference finals? I just don't know. It seems to me the Hawks are missing a critical piece to get past the 2nd round. I think that piece is a defensive, pass-first point, but can make shots when open. I would also like more size, but I think the Hawks could be OK by getting another 7' that can make a real contribution, unlike Morris.

I certainly agree that we need to add another piece, more likely a couple, to get to the EC finals and beyond and it would have to be combined with healthy players. I think the talent is nearly there and we can do it with (inspite if of you prefer) Woody which means to me that if we add the needed pieces and fail then I'd like to see Woody replaced regardless of what our regular season record is. Similar to Dallas with Avery Johnson I suppose.

No, his biggest criticism was his laughable view of point guards as in he didn't think they were anything special to a team and you could get buy with truly mediocre players at the point. His draft failures are also worthy of criticism.

The final 4 teams, and their PGs

Lakers: Derek Fisher

Magic: Rafer Alston

Cavs: Mo Williams

Nuggets: Chauncey Billups

Billips and Williams are good, with Billups damn near being great.

Fisher is merely a spot-up shooter. Rafer is good ( when he's on ).

So BK isn't halfway off, if he thought you could get by with a mediocre PG.

I mean, when you look at the top PGs in the game . . Paul, Deron, Dre Miller, Nash . . all of them have failed to even reach the NBA Finals.

You need great players PERIOD, not just a great PG.