• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Sekou Smith answers your Questions

gsuteke

Sekou Smith was very kind to field some questions from our members. He replied to some, not all.

I don't ask anyone to agree 100% with him but I do ask everyone to be respectful of him taking the time to not only read through our thoughts but more importantly as you'll see take a considerable amount of time to thoughtfully answer some of them.

Looking through his answers I think a potential Round 2 from the Squawk may be in order come July if he would be accomodating.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q. It would seem that this team could have incorporated elements like pick and rolls, off-the-ball-screens, etc. into the offense to give the team more options given the personnel last season but that never happened. Does GM Rick Sund or other Hawks management or ownership recognize that this team relies too heavily on Joe Johnson (and specifically isolating Joe Johnson) on offense and, if so, are there any plans to upgrade the offense through a change or addition to the coaching staff?

A. I think everyone realizes they rely far too much on Joe Johnson, and that includes Joe himself. The issue is that it’s Mike Woodson’s call. And he’s going to play through the guy he trusts most with making sure his offense runs the way he wants it to. I happen to think that the Hawks need a movement based offense identical to the one the Orlando Magic run. The only problem is the Hawks don’t have the shooters to run that sort of offense. And that’s where their biggest issues remain on the offensive end. They simply don’t have enough quality shooters (long distance and mid-range) to effectively run the type of offense needed (a problem many teams have). You can run all the pick-and-rolls and ball screens you’d like, b ut come playoff time you need to be able to move the ball to find an open man who can knock down a shot.

Q. There are a lot of PG options out there this summer, and I am of the opinion that the Hawks can't take the "next" step with Bibby at the helm. So, my question is: what skill-set do you think we should be targeting in a PG in order to improve most as a team? Are there any potential FAs, players in the draft, or players on the "trading block" that you personally see as 1) feasible and 2) a good fit for the team?

A. I don’t know that I agree with that opinion that the Hawks can’t take the next step with Bibby at the helm. I happen to think a shooter like Bibby works on any team. What the Hawks need, though, is a point guard that can also attack defenses in the paint and create open looks off his dribble-drive game. Whether that’s Bibby’s backup, replacement or eventually both is up to Rick Sund. As for potential free agents that would fit the bill, I don’t know that there’s a specific name that comes to mind. Personally, I love Ramon Sessions from Milwaukee. But there’s a lot about his game we haven’t seen because he hasn’t been put on the spot yet in his career where he’s responsible for running a playoff team. My favorite point guard in this draft is Ty Lawson. I’ve heard all these reasons why he’s ranked behind guys like Ricky Rubio and Stephen Curry (his size , shot and passing ability will be questioned by many leading up to the draft), but Lawson is the kind of feisty point guard I’d like to see running my team.

Q. What are you hearing about as it relates to Marvin's future with the Atlanta Hawks?

A. Nothing definitive one way or the other, but it’s early. Things are sure to heat up in July where he’s concerned. Marvin’s situation as a restricted free agent will be a lot like what Josh Smith and Josh Childress went through last summer as restricted free agents. With so few teams spending whatever cap space they have available, you wouldn’t think there would be a huge crush for his services around the league. Marvin options are pretty simple if the Hawks don’t want to talk about an extension (I can’t imagine both sides are going to be fishing in the same financial pond on this one) and there isn’t a team out there interested in presenting him with an offer sheet. He can play out his season on a qualifying offer like Ben Gordon did last year for Chicago and then become an unrestricted free agent next year. Or he can take follow the lead of Childress and explore his options internationally. There’s always the possibility of a sign and trade, but they are so hard to come by because of all the things that have to line up to make them happen. That said, I’m convinced the Hawks’ best chance of making a big move this summer has to include Marvin in some s ort of sign and trade deal (since he’s their most valuable chip this summer not named Speedy Claxton).

Q. Any reason to believe Sund and the ASG may use their rights on David Andersen ? If so would they plan to keep him or trade his rights ?

Edit: I do believe his rights can be traded unlike Chillz (who can only be moved in a sign & trade).

A. Great question without a great answer. It’s hard to know what kind of value the Hawks have place on Andersen. He was Billy Knight’s find, if you will, and I don’t know that the current front office crew has an affinity for his game at all. I know they monitored him closely this past season and visited him on their trips to Europe. I just don’t know that he fits into any of their summer plans specifically. If the opportunity arises and there’s a way to get a quality asset in return for his rights, I have to imagine the Hawks would pounce on it.

Q. In your opinion, will the Hawks look to trade Speedy's expiring deal for a longer contract or keep his expiring deal to add flexibility to the JJ free agency decision ?

A. Speedy is gone this summer.

Q. Obviously the team has a lot of needs -- starting point guard if Bibby leaves, backup point guard regardless, backup 2 if Flip leaves, backup 5 if Zaza leaves and another backup big regardless; that doesn't even touch on Marv's FA status or Joe's possible extension. How would you rank management's p riorities?

A. I’d rank them this way – 1. Bibby/point guard; 2. Zaza/backup big; 3. Marvin; 4. Flip/backup shooting guard; 5. Joe’s extension. The point guard issue remains the Hawks’ most important dilemma for what, the fifth straight summer? You know what life was like without any certainty at the position. No one wants to go back there. The backup big, be it Zaza and/or someone else, needs to be addressed. You need five serviceable bigs on the roster if you’re serious about being a contender for anything beyond the lottery. How the Hawks managed this year with just three and a half is beyond me. Flip is a must. And Marvin’s situation will be decided on way or another. Joe would be crazy to sign an extension here without the point guard situation being defined. He’ll have options next summer if he doesn’t sign an extension, fabulous options when you think about it.

Q. Was there a change in the locker-room demeanor since the addition of Bibby? Did he bring a playoff presence to the Hawks team? Is there any urgency (or perceived urgency) to resign Flip?

A. Bibby assumed a leadership position automatically, which is what the Hawks needed. He eased the pressure on Joe and Woodson as well, which needed to happen. And more than a playoff presence he brought a sense of accountability to the locker room, which was lacking before his arrival. He was the right personality and player at just the right time for the Hawks. It was20almost like he added that “why not us?” factor to this team that wasn’t there before, a sense of they could do some things with him that didn’t really seem possible until he showed up. Flip proved invaluable this season and while I wouldn’t call it urgency, there’s certainly a need to make sure Flip is kept in the fold.

Q. How much interaction throughout the season was there between Rick Sund and the team (Coaches and Players)?

A. No more or less than what you’d normally see or expect on a team. I know Sund and his assistant GM made an effort to establish a strong connection with these players. And I think that was rooted in the fact that they knew they’d have some critical decisions to make this summer and they wanted to be as well versed about these guys as possible. Wise move.

Q. Have the Hawks maintained contact with Josh Childress throughout his time in Europe? This could be either management or players.

A. Sund mentioned the other day that he had kept in touch with his representatives but not Childress personally, which is standard. Childress and several of his former teammates kept in close touch and I know Childress and Hawks’ strength coach Chattin Hill remain extremely close. I’ve spoken with him many times, via email mostly, and kept a close eye on what he’s been up to. I suspect we’ll be in even closer contact in the coming weeks and months.

Q. Any truth to thi s report out of the Boston Globe that we are looking to dump Marvin for cash considerations?

A. No and I say that not knowing exactly what the report you’re speaking of said. But dumping Marvin for cash is a joke. He’s a valuable asset this summer, whether you keep him or move him in a sign and trade.

Q. On a scale of 1-10 in your opinion what is the Atlanta Hawks and in particular Rick Sund's interest in the following players. Chris Bosh (trade involving Josh Smith) Ron Artest ( FA) Allen Iverson ( FA )?

A. I can’t tell you what Rick Sund’s interest might be. It would be purely speculation and since he can’t discuss other team’s players … well, I’m sure you get the point. I’m guessing the Hawks’ interest in both Artest and Iverson is non-existent. Bosh is the wild card this summer, because I think lots of teams (the Hawks included) would be interested in discussing his availability. But Josh Smith as the centerpiece for the Hawks is a bit of an issue because he has a trade kicker in his contract, making him tougher to move than people might realize.

Q. We have a big huge problem on offense and I wanted to know if there is any talk of getting an offense coordinator to help out woody and his staff, so we can be a better offense team next season? Also what players are we most likely going to go after in the free agency or sign and trade with possibly?

A. Larry Drew would20be the ideal candidate, but I don’t see it happening. But I’m in 100 percent agreement with anyone that thinks that’s a good idea. I’m not giving away my list of free agent targets here. Plus, it’s a work in progress you can view on ajc.com in the coming weeks.

Q. Any chance we make a play for Amare?

A. No.

Edited by gsuteke

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

After hearing Sekou's answer to my question:

Q. Was there a change in the locker-room demeanor since the addition of Bibby? Did he bring a playoff presence to the Hawks team? Is there any urgency (or perceived urgency) to resign Flip?

A. Bibby assumed a leadership position automatically, which is what the Hawks needed. He eased the pressure on Joe and Woodson as well, which needed to happen. And more than a playoff presence he brought a sense of accountability to the locker room, which was lacking before his arrival. He was the right personality and player at just the right time for the Hawks. It was20almost like he added that “why not us?” factor to this team that wasn’t there before, a sense of they could do some things with him that didn’t really seem possible until he showed up. Flip proved invaluable this season and while I wouldn’t call it urgency, there’s certainly a need to make sure Flip is kept in the fold.

I think that the only way we not resign Bibby is that he costs too much or we find a more experienced PG (Kidd, Nash) willing to come here. I think this changes everything.

If you don't know the relationships behind the scenes you really can't speculate on what will/will not happen. If you read between the lines of some of these questions it sheds more light on issues we've already beeen discussing ad nauseum.

Q. Obviously the team has a lot of needs -- starting point guard if Bibby leaves, backup point guard regardless, backup 2 if Flip leaves, backup 5 if Zaza leaves and another backup big regardless; that doesn't even touch on Marv's FA status or Joe's possible extension. How would you rank management's p riorities?

A. I’d rank them this way – 1. Bibby/point guard; 2. Zaza/backup big; 3. Marvin; 4. Flip/backup shooting guard; 5. Joe’s extension. The point guard issue remains the Hawks’ most important dilemma for what, the fifth straight summer? You know what life was like without any certainty at the position. No one wants to go back there. The backup big, be it Zaza and/or someone else, needs to be addressed. You need five serviceable bigs on the roster if you’re serious about being a contender for anything beyond the lottery. How the Hawks managed this year with just three and a half is beyond me. Flip is a must. And Marvin’s situation will be decided on way or another. Joe would be crazy to sign an extension here without the point guard situation being defined. He’ll have options next summer if he doesn’t sign an extension, fabulous options when you think about it.

money

Good to see he answered both of my questions, and nice to see that Sund is doing at least a normal job. One question that has me puzzled:

Q. Any reason to believe Sund and the ASG may use their rights on David Andersen ? If so would they plan to keep him or trade his rights ?

Edit: I do believe his rights can be traded unlike Chillz (who can only be moved in a sign & trade).

A. Great question without a great answer. It’s hard to know what kind of value the Hawks have place on Andersen. He was Billy Knight’s find, if you will, and I don’t know that the current front office crew has an affinity for his game at all. I know they monitored him closely this past season and visited him on their trips to Europe. I just don’t know that he fits into any of their summer plans specifically. If the opportunity arises and there’s a way to get a quality asset in return for his rights, I have to imagine the Hawks would pounce on it.

BK was hired as prior to 2002-2003 as Director of Basketball Operations. So at the time of DA's draft, Pete was still the GM. Was DA really the work of BK or is Sekou just forgetting Pete was still the GM?

• Premium Member
But Josh Smith as the centerpiece for the Hawks is a bit of an issue because he has a trade kicker in his contract, making him tougher to move than people might realize.

HF, had you heard that before??? That is quite startling to read. Darn Grizzlies.

Also, it should be noted that most players like Joe don't sign extensions until later in the summer, which would give the Hawks plenty of time to get things sorted out.

• Premium Member
HF, had you heard that before??? That is quite startling to read. Darn Grizzlies.

Also, it should be noted that most players like Joe don't sign extensions until later in the summer, which would give the Hawks plenty of time to get things sorted out.

IF Joe Signs an extension, it don't really matter when he signs it does it?

It won't kick in to next year anyway.

I think he'd be PPP but as far as our cap is concerned, it wouldn't matter this year would it?

• Premium Member
IF Joe Signs an extension, it don't really matter when he signs it does it?

It won't kick in to next year anyway.

I think he'd be PPP but as far as our cap is concerned, it wouldn't matter this year would it?

Joe can't be PPP in the first year of a proposed extension. He's limited to a 10.5% raise - roughly $16.5M in the first year of his deal - if he signs an extension. If he waits to become a free agent, he's limited to 30% of cap space, which will likely be $1M more. In other words, it's probably in Joe's best interest to get the extension out of the way this summer. A few extra million isn't really worth the risk of injury when you're talking about dozens of millions anyway. (But you never know with athletes).

To answer your question - no, it doesn't matter when he signs. It's fairly unusual for a player to sign an extension during the season, though.

fantastic job getting sekou to respond to hawksquawk questions, thanks gsuteke. thank you sekou, if you're out there, for the time and thought in answering them, greatly appreciated.

i used to go on the ajc and comment on sekous stuff there (there on day one, baby), but got tired of some of the posters there. someone posted on there to check out hawksquawk and the rest is history for me. i still always like to read sekou's writing though. he definately just responded way more here than i have ever seen him respond to on his own board. terrific stuff.

• Premium Member
Great answers Sekou. We ned to get this going more often. Thanks gsuteke also.

Yes, first let's all thank gsu.

I'd also like to mention that gsu is helping me setup a similar Q&A with one of the Draftexpress guys. That's a few days out, though.

No need to thank me. I'm just as eager as you all to get some information about the Hawks.

Sekou Smith has something I don't at this point - access. Many thanks to him for sharing it.

My agenda is to drive the basketball related discussion on Hawksquawk.net Nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by gsuteke

Sekou Smith was very kind to field some questions from our members. He replied to some, not all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q. On a scale of 1-10 in your opinion what is the Atlanta Hawks and in particular Rick Sund's interest in the following players. Chris Bosh (trade involving Josh Smith) Ron Artest ( FA) Allen Iverson ( FA )?

A. I can’t tell you what Rick Sund’s interest might be. It would be purely speculation and since he can’t discuss other team’s players … well, I’m sure you get the point. I’m guessing the Hawks’ interest in both Artest and Iverson is non-existent. Bosh is the wild card this summer, because I think lots of teams (the Hawks included) would be interested in discussing his availability. But Josh Smith as the centerpiece for the Hawks is a bit of an issue because he has a trade kicker in his contract, making him tougher to move than people might realize.

Its cool Sekou answered this but there is one thing I dont understand. What is the trade kicker in Smooves contract? Doesnt that byc end a year after he signed his deal?

Actually the first time I read through the whole Sekou post I missed out on that answer. Thats very interesting to note that Smoove has a kicker, makes it waaaaaaay less likely that we trade him. A team would have to value Smoove at a level higher than his current salary. Sounds like the Grizz knew they were just a pawn in the Smoove deal and just decided to screw us over, they have been known to screw over other teams lately (see Portland).

Actually the first time I read through the whole Sekou post I missed out on that answer. Thats very interesting to note that Smoove has a kicker, makes it waaaaaaay less likely that we trade him. A team would have to value Smoove at a level higher than his current salary. Sounds like the Grizz knew they were just a pawn in the Smoove deal and just decided to screw us over, they have been known to screw over other teams lately (see Portland).

Nevermind I remember now it was what KG had on his Minny contract. I wonder how much Smooves kicker is, it cant be that much can it? Cant he waive some of it? Then again I doubt he waives it to go to Toronto, lol.

Edited by NJHAWK

• Premium Member

Trade kickers

83. Can players be given a bonus when they are traded?

Teams are permitted to write a bonus called a "trade bonus" (sometimes referred to as a "trade kicker") into contracts. This bonus is paid to the player when he is traded, but only upon his first trade and not upon any subsequent trades (in the case of a sign-and-trade, they don't count the initial trade when the contract is signed). The trade bonus can be defined as a specific dollar amount, a specific percentage of the remaining value of the contract, or some combination (e.g., "$1 million or 10% of the remaining value of the contract, whichever is less"). In either case, the actual amount cannot exceed 15% of the remaining value of the contract.

Notes on trade bonuses:

* Option years are not counted when determining the remaining value of the contract, unless already exercised. ETOs are counted.

* Incentive compensation is not counted when determining the remaining value of the contract -- just base compensation.

* A trade bonus cannot cause a player's salary to exceed the maximum salary, based on his years of service, during the year of the trade (see question number 84 for more information on this).

* The value of a trade bonus is pro-rated during the season. .

Edited by mrhonline

Yes, first let's all thank gsu.

I'd also like to mention that gsu is helping me setup a similar Q&A with one of the Draftexpress guys. That's a few days out, though.

Thank you for the insight.