Sekou Smith answers your Questions

gsuteke

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Thanks for the responses, Sekou. I will definitely lay the entire responsibility for our offensive system on Woody after reading his response to the questions relating to the offense. It sounds like even though even JJ knows there is a problem that Woody is just too stubborn to adapt his system. Hopefully, we will make the right moves this offseason and that won't be a determining factor. One would think, however, that on a team with Bibby, JJ and Marvin at 1-3 that there would be enough perimeter shooting to run a system that resulted in kickouts to open shooter. I do agree, however, that we don't have the personnel to run the same system as Orlando.

Thanks for the responses, Sekou. I will definitely lay the entire responsibility for our offensive system on Woody after reading his response to the questions relating to the offense. It sounds like even though even JJ knows there is a problem that Woody is just too stubborn to adapt his system. Hopefully, we will make the right moves this offseason and that won't be a determining factor. One would think, however, that on a team with Bibby, JJ and Marvin at 1-3 that there would be enough perimeter shooting to run a system that resulted in kickouts to open shooter. I do agree, however, that we don't have the personnel to run the same system as Orlando.

The funny thing is the Cavs offense actually looks worse than ours when its actually being defended.

• Moderators
The funny thing is the Cavs offense actually looks worse than ours when its actually being defended.

Brown is a terrible offensive coach as well. I would not look to hire him here in Atlanta, personally.

Brown is a terrible offensive coach as well. I would not look to hire him here in Atlanta, personally.

Brown was very respectful of Woodson as they shook hands after Atlanta was defeated in Game 4. It was pretty obvious to me on the TV atleast.

Back on subject, am I reading into Sekou's response correctly that Woodson basically does control the offensive scheme? I believe that's the case as he said the Hawks already would have that person there in Larry Drew. That insinuates to me that Woodson has total control of the design and implementation to me.

Sekou also made another point that nobody has really mentioned here in that the Hawks don't really have the players outside of Bibby to run the pick and roll.

Q. There are a lot of PG options out there this summer, and I am of the opinion that the Hawks can't take the "next" step with Bibby at the helm. So, my question is: what skill-set do you think we should be targeting in a PG in order to improve most as a team? Are there any potential FAs, players in the draft, or players on the "trading block" that you personally see as 1) feasible and 2) a good fit for the team?

A. I don’t know that I agree with that opinion that the Hawks can’t take the next step with Bibby at the helm. I happen to think a shooter like Bibby works on any team. What the Hawks need, though, is a point guard that can also attack defenses in the paint and create open looks off his dribble-drive game. Whether that’s Bibby’s backup, replacement or eventually both is up to Rick Sund. As for potential free agents that would fit the bill, I don’t know that there’s a specific name that comes to mind. Personally, I love Ramon Sessions from Milwaukee. But there’s a lot about his game we haven’t seen because he hasn’t been put on the spot yet in his career where he’s responsible for running a playoff team. My favorite point guard in this draft is Ty Lawson. I’ve heard all these reasons why he’s ranked behind guys like Ricky Rubio and Stephen Curry (his size , shot and passing ability will be questioned by many leading up to the draft), but Lawson is the kind of feisty point guard I’d like to see running my team.

This was my question, and Sekou provided a great answer.

Actually, it's not that I think we can't take the next "step" with Bibby on the team, it's that I think we need a fundamentally different type of pg playing at least 25 minutes a night. So, I agree with Sekou here. I'm cool with Bibby getting 24 minutes a night, with someone like TJ Ford getting the other 24 minutes (in fact, I think Bibby could excel in a JT-type 6th man scoring roll).

But, Im guessing Bibby is gonna be wanting waaaaay more money than he is worth at this point in his career (i'd be cool with him and TJ Ford getting 7-8 mill each... meaning, we have $14-mill in a pg tandem... which is less than Bibby's 15-mill last year; that's a big paycut for Bibbs tho).

Well both Brown and Woodson use that " play the right way " term alot which Larry Brown was famous for using. LB's teams are based off d and rebounding. His Philly team that went to the finals had A.I. in his prime and a bunch of role players. That Detroit team that won the title won with defense and team ball. I dont think Larry Brown can be considered a good offensive mind.

• Moderators
Sekou also made another point that nobody has really mentioned here in that the Hawks don't really have the players outside of Bibby to run the pick and roll.

Sekou said we didn't have the players to run the Orlando motion offense. We have players who can run the pick and roll.

Agreed.

I disagree with this completely. If it is true that there is a trade kicker that makes it harder to trade Smith then the Hawks have nobody but themselves to blame. If they had just negotiated the deal themselves instead of letting other teams do their work for them they wouldn't have this problem.

From everything i have seen the Hawks weren't negotiating with the Joshs at all. Sund told them to find a deal so they did.

• Premium Member
I disagree with this completely. If it is true that there is a trade kicker that makes it harder to trade Smith then the Hawks have nobody but themselves to blame. If they had just negotiated the deal themselves instead of letting other teams do their work for them they wouldn't have this problem.

From everything i have seen the Hawks weren't negotiating with the Joshs at all. Sund told them to find a deal so they did.

That's a good counter, Ex.

The right response would have been:

Darn Grizzlies. Darn Hawks!

We should have asked about that while we had the opportunity

DOH!!!!

Well both Brown and Woodson use that " play the right way " term alot which Larry Brown was famous for using. LB's teams are based off d and rebounding. His Philly team that went to the finals had A.I. in his prime and a bunch of role players. That Detroit team that won the title won with defense and team ball. I dont think Larry Brown can be considered a good offensive mind.

Larry Brown has a fairly sophisticated offense which is why he likes a strange mix (relating to O abilities) of players.

• Premium Member
Sekou said we didn't have the players to run the Orlando motion offense. We have players who can run the pick and roll.

I think the Hawks can play A Motion offense... Not Orlando's. We don't have the shooters. But Something closer to Chicago's. Chicago plays a lot of screens and some screen and rolls. That's something that we ought to be doing. Specially with Marvin. Marvin out to be a screener.

Joe should have double picks that he can run through to get a wide open look. Bibby should be playing Pick and roll with somebody with movement off the ball.

We have done ourselves a great injustice by not taking advantage of screens in the offense and movement. When you have active wings, we should be running a lot of motion. Even if it's something as contrived as the Princeton offense. Just move and pass until somebody is open. Or something as pretty as the UCLA 1-4 offense (with Joe here, this is an offense that we really should consider).

Q. We have a big huge problem on offense and I wanted to know if there is any talk of getting an offense coordinator to help out woody and his staff, so we can be a better offense team next season? Also what players are we most likely going to go after in the free agency or sign and trade with possibly?

A. Larry Drew would20be the ideal candidate, but I don’t see it happening. But I’m in 100 percent agreement with anyone that thinks that’s a good idea. I’m not giving away my list of free agent targets here. Plus, it’s a work in progress you can view on ajc.com in the coming weeks.

Thanks for answering my question sekou! Hopefully we will try to go after a larry drew for offensive coordinator, but if not i hope we get someone decent! cause woody needs some help.................................I'll be checking ajc.com for your list of possible free agents we may go after!