• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What would JJ get us on the market!

Wurider05

If Sund were to put JJ on the trading blocking today what do you guys think we would get offered??

Any trade that brings Chris "The Birdman" Anderson to Atlanta will be deemed a success.

Is that guy destined to play for the Hawks, or what? :super:

• Premium Member
Any trade that brings Chris "The Birdman" Anderson to Atlanta will be deemed a success.

Is that guy destined to play for the Hawks, or what? :super:

Chris Andersen's best friend and manager, who he lived with during the time he was getting off of drugs, lives in Denver and it is the biggest reason Andersen decided to come back and play for the Nuggets and not NO.

Apparently the dude has some very deep ties in Denver and prying him away from the Nuggets will be a tall order.

• Premium Member
If Sund were to put JJ on the trading blocking today what do you guys think we would get offered??

Every big bad contract out there... However, there would be some teams that would want to pair JJ up with their big name. I can't see the Knicks turning him down. I can't see the Suns not giving up Amare for him. I can't see Minny not offering everybody but Jefferson for him.

I just think we'd lose more than we win trading JJ.

For instance, let's say the Knicks gives us Lee and Duhon for JJ. What do we really have?

Or let's say GS gives us Biedrins/Maggette.. Are we any closer?

Our teams problems doesn't start with JJ and moving JJ only creates a new hole with teh same problems.

Our problem now is an untradable Smoove and a Horf that is out of position with no C or PG..

• Premium Member

Don't discount the point that keeping JJ presents its own set of problems, as northcyde cited earlier, for the longer term, particularly if the economy doesn't revert back to its previous level of growth in the next few years.

I think this is where a GM has to have a guiding philosophy and stick with it. There has to be an analysis of conference champion teams' roster structure by salary level (as a percentage of salary cap so that it adjusts accordingly), and gleaned from that, a commitment to a hierarchy of x-number of slots at a certain levels of salary. (I go with conference champions instead of NBA champions for the sake of a larger sample.)

For the sake of illustration, this could mean that Sund dedicates one slot at ~25% of the salary cap, two others at ~20%, three at ~10%, and the rest of the roster divides the remaining 5%.

Another part of that guiding philosophy has to be to determine the desired mix of players by age--essentially, to keep it simple, I'd say x-number of players whose age and experience add up to 25 or less, x-number that add up to 26-30, and x-number at 31 or more. Again, some analysis of NBA conference champions' mix should guide that thinking.

Given those two primary guidelines, along with the conventional thinking as to the number of players needed to hold down each of the five conventional positions, I think a more rational decision on JJ's future in ATL can be achieved, though understanding that there still remains some projection involved, particularly when we had the youngest roster to finish as high as we did, meaning that there are ceilings yet to be realized up and down the roster (as Sund suggested in his interview w/ AJC).

The variables figuring in to the decision are:

1. Does it seem likely that JJ has hit his ceiling in terms of production?

2. Does his presence on the court seem to act as a catalyst to others' improved production?

3. What salary, or better, percentage of available salary capacity against the cap, would it require to keep him?

4. What number of years in a next contract would it require to keep him?

5. Given the answers to the previous four questions, does he seem to fit into the desired salary structure and desired experience structure for the team?

6. If the answer to #5 leans positive, the verdict is self-evident. If it leans negative, however, then it has to be debated, is it more advantageous for the team's future to trade him now and replace his salary with another player or players... or more advantageous to let his contract run out and use that cap space to acquire different talent through free agency?

As a rule, I think most would agree that ideally a team uses free agency as a means of obtaining talent only sparingly b/c the risks posed as a result of the salary cap (limitations on future transactions) and luxury tax are too great. For that reason, I would either advocate that Sund has to either determine that JJ is worth it and go ahead with an extension ASAP or determine that he is not, and get a trade done.

Further, and reflective of the guidelines mentioned above, I think I would be slow to trade JJ for a package of players, preferring to identify a one-for-one for a player that Sund feels almost certain would justifiably occupy a top slot in the salary structure.

Chris Andersen's best friend and manager, who he lived with during the time he was getting off of drugs, lives in Denver and it is the biggest reason Andersen decided to come back and play for the Nuggets and not NO.

Apparently the dude has some very deep ties in Denver and prying him away from the Nuggets will be a tall order.

Interesting! :thumbsupsmileyanim: