• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Gasol vs. Horford?

Diesel

Yesterday, I proposed a Horford for Marc Gasol trade.

I would like to hear some pros and cons on each player.

What does Hawksquawk think?

I do not think many of us watched the Grizzlies play, except for the 2 games they played the Hawks.

I do not kow enough about the younger Gasol but I know I like Horford.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member
I do not think many of us watched the Grizzlies play, except for the 2 games they played the Hawks.

I do not kow enough about the younger Gasol but I know I like Horford.

I think that's the thing... I think a lot of us like Horford but we have to measure this beyond Personality. Horford has a wonderful Personality. If I had a niece his age, I would like to see her dating him. He's young and refreshing. He's very likable. But on the court... What does he do? Rebound? Defend a bit? He's not a great defensive player. He's doesn't have a goto move. He doesn't dribble well. So on the court, what is it about Horford that makes many Hawks fans lose their minds when his name come up for trades? Is it just because he's likable and he's got prototypical PF size (even though with Smoove here, he will never play PF)?

Let's unearth some truth today!

Yesterday, I proposed a Horford for Marc Gasol trade.

I would like to hear some pros and cons on each player.

What does Hawksquawk think?

Put this one to bed, once and for all!!!

Gasol (Marc) is a terrible player! I realy don't know where do you dig these ideas from?????

Marc plays on Spanish national team only because of his bro Pau, whose been dragging his sorry *ss throughout his career!

Sometimes I think you must be joking, but this is too much...

I don't even feel like elaborating on this subject! But in few words, I've seen Gasol in so many games in Europe and with Memphis... Horford is better center (in his soph year) then Gasol is ever going to be! He's soft, doesn't play D... He was simply a little lucky to play on a terible team, where he had the chance... In such circumstances Al would have averaged 15 and 10 easily, with good D and good pcts, plus Grizz would have won at least 5 more games!

• Premium Member
Put this one to bed, once and for all!!!

Gasol (Marc) is a terrible player! I realy don't know where do you dig these ideas from?????

Marc plays on Spanish national team only because of his bro Pau, whose been dragging his sorry *ss throughout his career!

Sometimes I think you must be joking, but this is too much...

I don't even feel like elaborating on this subject! But in few words, I've seen Gasol in so many games in Europe and with Memphis... Horford is better center (in his soph year) then Gasol is ever going to be! He's soft, doesn't play D... He was simply a little lucky to play on a terible team, where he had the chance... In such circumstances Al would have averaged 15 and 10 easily, with good D and good pcts, plus Grizz would have won at least 5 more games!

Thought this might help...

From what I've seen of Gasol (and of course that isn't much) he looked like a down low banger to me. He has a nastiness about him that his brother really should develop. I think what's most appealing about him is his size. Now with that said he is a little slow footed and might not get much better than he already is.

From what I've seen of Gasol (and of course that isn't much) he looked like a down low banger to me. He has a nastiness about him that his brother really should develop. I think what's most appealing about him is his size. Now with that said he is a little slow footed and might not get much better than he already is.

Sounds like he is a bigger version of ZaZa. Would be nice to have on the team but I don't think he would have an impact more then Horford does.

I think that's the thing... I think a lot of us like Horford but we have to measure this beyond Personality. Horford has a wonderful Personality. If I had a niece his age, I would like to see her dating him. He's young and refreshing. He's very likable. But on the court... What does he do? Rebound? Defend a bit? He's not a great defensive player. He's doesn't have a goto move. He doesn't dribble well. So on the court, what is it about Horford that makes many Hawks fans lose their minds when his name come up for trades? Is it just because he's likable and he's got prototypical PF size (even though with Smoove here, he will never play PF)?

Let's unearth some truth today!

Terrible dribbler? How many bigs can you name in the NBA that can play center (effectively) and lead the break like Horford can?

Not a great defensive player? No, he's not a great one yet, but he plays very solid positional defense and doesn't need a lot of help. He's not a great or even a good shot blocker, but he's adequate.

I'd also say that he's a far better rebounder than he has probably been able to show since he has great fundamentals, but unfortunately due to our style of defense he is taken out of the position pretty often.

With all that being said I'd move him for the right player, but Marc Gasol is NOT that player.

• Premium Member

What I posted on RealGM:

Since 1979 (3pt line), the number of players to produce per36 averages of 10 rebounds, 1.5 blocks, and 55% TS in 20+ min/game at the age of 22:

Shaq

Hakeem

Zo

Kemp

Ilgauskas

Barkley

Ming

LaSalle Thompson

Brand

Howard

Biedrins

Divac

Horford

Dalembert

Dale Davis

Tyson Chandler

Edited by mrhonline

I'd also say that he's a far better rebounder than he has probably been able to show since he has great fundamentals, but unfortunately due to our style of defense he is taken out of the position pretty often.

Good point !

This part especially stood out to me (the other points were spot on too.)

Last night Varejo was doing alot of defending around the periemter on both Turkelough and Lewis. VanGundy said that is why Varejo only has 1 rebound with about 4 minutes left to play. He was defending the perimeter more then the post.

Horford finds himself doing this more then any starting center I can think of.....even when matched up against "normal teams." He is switching to guard on the perimeter which does take him out of rebounding position quite frequently.

Edited by coachx

What I posted on RealGM:

Not bad company there....

Good thread. I found myself nodding a lot at posts.

Horf is not untouchable, in my eyes, but the right opportunity must arise. I don't think Gasol would be one. I'd prefer to stick with Horf between those two.

Sounds like he is a bigger version of ZaZa. Would be nice to have on the team but I don't think he would have an impact more then Horford does.

I wouldn't say that, Gasol atleast has touch and fundamentals as far basketball is concerned. You don't break out into a cold sweat when you see Marc go up for a layup.

• Premium Member
I wouldn't say that, Gasol atleast has touch and fundamentals as far basketball is concerned. You don't break out into a cold sweat when you see Marc go up for a layup.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Edited by Diesel

I wouldn't trade him because he's younger, has an NBA pedigree, can run the floor, was a proven winner in college and has produced at a decent level playing out of position. He's also "young, likeable and he's got prototypical PF size" as you mentioned. He shows some fire but isn't a drama queen. Statistically, his PER is better and he's a better rebounder than Gasol. But don't let those facts get in your way.

• Premium Member

I wouldn't trade him because he's younger, has an NBA pedigree, can run the floor, was a proven winner in college and has produced at a decent level playing out of position. He's also "young, likeable and he's got prototypical PF size" as you mentioned. He shows some fire but isn't a drama queen. Statistically, his PER is better and he's a better rebounder than Gasol. But don't let those facts get in your way.

You just described Christian Laettner.

Seriously though. I would like to see Horf develop offensively and I would also like to see him be able to stop bigs.