• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Are we too hard on Woody?

buckeye242424

I will say this, if we fire Woody right now and he takes off a year ( because there are no head coaching jobs) there is no doubt in my mind by opening day 2010 he has a head coaching job in the nba.

I have to agree with NJHawk. Not sure if it was a blog by Sekou, or Mark Bradley, but one of those two mentioned how well respected Woody is around the league. I remember, because I laughed when (one of those two) wrote that the only way Woody wouldn't be back in ATL in 09-10 would be because someone STOLE him away from us. Never forget that, I laughed my *ss off.

Point being, to the outsiders...the LOWLY hawks have finally gained some respect the last few years. Woody will get credit for this, deserved or not. IMO, enough to land him another HC job if he was ever to leave!

• Moderators
But, the vast majority, are slightly above average or slightly below average and are pretty much completely dependent on the talent placed around them:

Doc Rivers (the most-recent example), Mike Brown, Mike Woodson, etc. all fall into this category.

The NBA is a player's league. A coach usually is as good as his players.

Doc isn't perfect but here are the top 5 scorers on his 1999-00 team that won 41 games, 4 more than we won last season:

Darrell Armstrong - 1330 points

John Amaechi - 836 points

Chucky Atkins - 782 pints

Pat Garrity - 675 points

Monty Williams - 651 points

That is a pretty impressive record with that bunch.

Edited by AHF

I'd have a hard time believing that another team stole him away from us for another head coaching job. Maybe as an assistant.

Me too. But to people closer to the situation...

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/200...-and-his-hawks/

More specifically:

Mark Bradley

May 6th, 2009

1:30 pm

Woodson will coach the Hawks next season unless some other team hires him away. And don’t laugh: He’s respected around the NBA.

LOL.

• Moderators

If another team wanted to steal him away, don't you think they would have already done it?

What, they so value and respect Woodson that they weren't willing to better Atlanta's two year offer and won't come in to make a play for him now?

Give me a break. I am not saying he couldn't ever coach again because there are plenty of bad hires but to think he is highly in demand is just not justified by the facts. He would be out of town already if someone wanted him and he cared about job security (which he so obviously does).