• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Marvin may wind up playing in Europe

gsuteke

If Marvin went to play with CHill this year can the Hawks just drop both of their rights?

If they dropped both of their right will any money still be on the cap from both of them or will the Hawks have free money to spend?

I just saw this on HoopsWorld.com

Link

Stars Staying in Greece

The Atlanta Hawks have some major decisions to make regarding several big free agents. Mike Bibby, Zaza Pachulia, and Ronald Murry contracts have expired and if they're going to build on their success from last season they're going to have to dish out some cash this summer. If there are any Hawks' fans out there keeping their fingers crossed for a Josh Childress return though, don't get your hopes up.

"I don't know why he would come back," a Western Conference scout told Sekou Smith of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "There's so much uncertainty in the league this summer. Teams are holding back because of the economy and plotting for the summer of 2010. Plus, he's still bound by restricted free agency, which means he can't really come back and shop around for the best situation. If the Hawks didn't get a deal done with him last summer I don't see any way they get one done now. No way."

All reports indicate that Childress has quite enjoyed his time in Greece and is in no hurry to return back to the NBA. Although the Hawks have sent scouts over to Greece to monitor Childress' progress, he's still going to be out of their price range if they prioritize signing the players who helped them get to the second round this year first.

Another player that nobody should be expecting to bolt from Greece anytime soon is one of the top international prospects out there: Ioannis Bouroussis. As Steve Kyler went over this morning, Bouroussis is nearing an agreement with Olympiacos that would pay him 2 million Euros annually.

Bouroussis is probably the most intriguing overseas free agent there is right now. At 6'11 Bouroussis is skilled enough to be a serviceable center for just about any team in the league. However, like Childress he's a star overseas right now making a very nice living in his home country nonetheless. Very few members of the Greek national team have shown interest in the NBA because it simply doesn't provide much appeal to them. They're stars where they are now and in the NBA they'd be nothing more than role players making less money. Vassilis Spanoulis, formerly of the Houston Rockets, was the only one to officially come over and his experience had him packing his bags for home in just a year.

:offtopic2: Man I was hoppin Chill would have brought Bouroussis to the Hawks. That guy is a very nice player.

Edited by Brotha2ThaNite

According to the salary cap thread on top of the Homecourt Forum:

About $25 mill in cap space combined is what it take to hold our rights to Chillz and Marvin. Yes we could terminate our rights to them.

Not sure how much money we would have under the cap until the new numbers come out. The cap last year was $58.68 mill but that is expected to come down a little bit.

If we renounced every FA we have rights to our contract situation would be this:

$14,976,754 Joe Jonhson

$10,800,000 Josh Smith

$5,209,454 Craig Claxton

$4,307,640 Al Horford

$2,500,000 Maurice Evans

$2,216,160 Acie Law

$1,144,900 19th pick

$855,189 Randolph Morris

$457,588 Roster Charge

$457,588 Roster Charge

$457,588 Roster Charge

$457,588 Roster Charge

Total: $43,840,449

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member
The Warriors did need a wing. The Warriors opted for Magette over Chillz. They could have had Chillz if they valued him and he would have been much cheaper then Maggette.

Maggette is a more established player than Chillz. Maggette was an 18 ppg starter. However, betcha if we approached GS on July 1 with a Chillz/Capspace for Maggette SNT... They would do it in a heartbeat.

Those four teams all have one thing in common just like the 07-08 Hawks.....that being they were all sub .500 teams who Chillz was not enough good enough to start for. The good teams rarely have much money for FA.

Uhm.. no. They were all teams that had players with Chillz same skillset already on the team. Chillz wasn't about to replace Iggy. Chillz was not about to replace Gay. CHillz was not about to replace Maggette. To suggest that that was the determining factor is ridiculous. More importantly, aside from King James himself, just about no wing could have made those teams sign him. Certainly not Marvin. Certainly not anybody on the Hawks roster who plays Sf. Hell, even Joe Johnson would have a heard time as a FA getting those teams to look at him with those guys signed. So no, no.. no.. that tells us nothing about Chillz "realistic value around the league."

If Sund felt the sign and trade offers were better then what he could have gotten in the open market (Flip, Evans, Morris, Hunter) then he would have surely done the deal.

This is another bad assumption. Sund was stuck because he couldn't spend more than the luxury tax threshold. Therefore with Smoove still a FA, Sund couldn't risk paying too much for Chillz and having Philly offer Smoove a $12 Million frontloaded contract. That was always the threat on the table. I like how you try to change history though. How you try to make it seem like Smoove and Chillz contracts were not linked. Even when Chillz got a contract that he was willing to sign, Sund said "Wait" until he could finish his business with Smoove. That was the disrespect that got Chillz in Europe. (according to CHillz).

• Premium Member
If Marvin went to play with CHill this year can the Hawks just drop both of their rights?

If they dropped both of their right will any money still be on the cap from both of them or will the Hawks have free money to spend?

I just saw this on HoopsWorld.com

Link

:offtopic2: Man I was hoppin Chill would have brought Bouroussis to the Hawks. That guy is a very nice player.

Just to answer the AJC question. Chillz comes back this year and signs a 1 year QO. That way in 2010, he can be a FA and get picked up. You have to know that after 2010, teams will be cap tight again. It's just a smart move to get your 1 year deal and become a UFA for 2010.

If we let Marvin go we can bring in a stud at SF or move JJ to SF and sign a good SG. There are several good FA's and I think Sund has a basic idea of what he wants to achieve this off-season.

Who are these masked men? I can only think of two forwards (Artest, Odom) that would be considered studs and I think there is a much greater dearth at SG on the open market.

He went to Europe to visit his boy Josh Childress for a week or so. JChillz wrote about it in his monthly blog called 'Tech Review' published near the back of SLAM Magazine.

Man if only tampering rules applied to FIBA, you think there's any chance Chills isn't giving Marvin the whole come to Greece shtick?