• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Why we shouldn't trade Smoove

bumpyphish1

A guy over on Sekou's blog posted this and I'll just paste it. I (almost) couldn't say it any better myself:

"This is not good….trade Woodson instead. J Smith is not the only player to have issues with that coach. He is just not hiding like the others i.e. “being professional”. They’ve all tuned chrome dome all the way out and NBA insiders know it as well as the GM. Why do you think they have not offered Woody an extension- the writing is on the wall. You trade Smith and you trade away about one of the main reasons folks in Atlanta even show up for the games. If they trade him, it BETTER be for someone really good, otherwise it’ll be just another in a LONNNNNNNNG line of dumb moves by this franchise.

Just rename them the Atlanta “Kill My” Spirit Group and get it over with…"

...I'll go one step further. I am not as vehemently against trading Josh as I am about trading Josh NOW. And the reason is, duh, Woody. There is no telling how much better he would be (ie. how much trade value he would have) under a new, capable coach. Not only would his attitude and effort automatically become better just from removing Woody since he obv. hates the guy, but a more offensive minded coach (or just a qualified coach) will make Josh an even bigger threat and better. Oh yeah, and he is still only 23!

If mgmt is dead-set on trading him, if they really think he will never show more discipline on offense, if they really think his "bad attitude" is beyond improving etc, then WAIT AND TRADE HIM IN A YEAR AND A HALF! At least then, an actual capable coach will (hopefully, god forbid) have a chance to evaluate him.

But, god please god, ASG, please don't trade him for freaking DRAFT PICKS! In a weak draft, no less! We should not trade Smoove for anything less than Amare Stoudamire this offseason. Period. I am so scared we are gonna screw this up!

Edited by bumpyphish1

Take what Chad Ford says with a grain of crack. He is a tool. What possible sense does it make to trade Smoove so we can save money to sign Bibby and ZaZA. Even ASG are not this stupid. Ford even mentions saving $$$ to sign Chills. Well duh Chills is prolly staying in Greece.

Well it's true that we have no idea how good Smith could be without Woody but there is also the chance that this is as good as Smith can get and waiting another 2 years to show what he can be like under a new coach might backfire on us if he also has difficulties with that coach and doesn't improve and then his value would be on the decline. It's a huge gamble so for those thinking that nothing bad could come from waiting to get him under another head coach before moving him had better consider that. It's not often that players get significantly better (or worse) under a new coach.

NJHAWK you must be pissed. this your third thread regarding this.

I cant stand Ford. Im not the biggest Smoove fan but to even fathom that he has no value to the Hawks and they would dump him for picks or just to dump salary shows either how stupid Ford is or how stupid he thinks his readers are.

I will gamble on Smith improving under a new offensive system and new coach 500 times before I will trade away a talent like him for anything other than full value.

Getting a new coach will not change Smith, in order for Smith to reach his potential in Atlanta, we would have to build around him. That just isn't an option, it's best if he goes to a system that already is playing with that style of play.

• Moderators
Getting a new coach will not change Smith, in order for Smith to reach his potential in Atlanta, we would have to build around him. That just isn't an option, it's best if he goes to a system that already is playing with that style of play.

I have more faith in Smith's ability to change than you do. I may be wrong on that, but I know you have never been a fan of his. I would definitely unload our coach before I unload Smith.

(Of course, I would always trade Smith or any other player in a deal that makes our team better.)

I have more faith in Smith's ability to change than you do. I may be wrong on that, but I know you have never been a fan of his. I would definitely unload our coach before I unload Smith.

(Of course, I would always trade Smith or any other player in a deal that makes our team better.)

Agreed.