• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Lang Whitaker: We're not trading Smoove

JJFAN4LF

• Premium Member

Just curious, but why does it take Lang Whitaker to point out the things that a number of us have been saying for months?

I can't say this enough:

As things currently stand, the Hawks will eventually have to trade either Horford or Smith, but not until Horford's rookie deal is nearing its end.

DAMN! HE REALLY CUTS CHAD FORD UP IN THIS WHOLE ARTICLE LOL

But because Josh was a restricted free agent last summer and the Hawks matched his deal, he is a Base Year Compensation player. Because he signed last year in the middle of August, the Hawks could not trade him until the middle of August this year without all sorts of crazy financial permutations affecting the deal.
Edited by Brotha2ThaNite

• Premium Member

Unfortunately, Whitaker is a bit off.

His BYC ends June 30th.

He can veto a trade to Memphis (and Memphis alone) until mid-August. I don't remember the exact date, but it's one year from when he signed last year.

His trade kicker is active for as long as his contract (four years).

Lang is a Hawks fan, so of course he will tear up Ford. Chad Ford talks on personal opinion instead of real sources when it involves the Hawks.

• Moderators
He can veto a trade to Memphis (and Memphis alone) until mid-August.

Am I reading Coon wrong on this?

See Question 85 of Coon's FAQ for circumstances under which a player cannot be traded:

A player cannot be traded:

* For one year after exercising the right of first refusal to keep a restricted free agent (however, the player can consent to a trade to any team except the team that tried to sign him).

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q85

Unfortunately, Whitaker is a bit off.

His BYC ends June 30th.

He can veto a trade to Memphis (and Memphis alone) until mid-August. I don't remember the exact date, but it's one year from when he signed last year.

His trade kicker is active for as long as his contract (four years).

Here is the date: 08/08/08

LINK

Hawks match Grizzlies' offer for Josh Smith

Young forward gets $58-million, five-year deal to stay in Atlanta

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/08/08

Josh Smith was willing to continue his NBA career wherever he had to, either in his hometown of Atlanta with the Hawks or in Memphis with the Grizzlies.

The Hawks made the decision for him late Friday night by matching the five-year, $58 million offer the Grizzlies made to Smith, a restricted free agent, earlier in the day.

Edited by Brotha2ThaNite

Yeah I thought he could refuse a trade period for one year after the match. He just cant be traded to Memphis in any way shape or form for one year but has veto power for the whole league in that period of time.

Players are paid periodically throughout the season, so the kicker being prorated makes the most sense to me...

But I don't know for sure.

Its like a signing bonus. Its paid in full to the player within 30 days of the trade. But for cap purposes, it is spread out evenly through the life of the contract so as to not have drastic changes in a team's cap space. They also prorate the bonus in the event that a player has already played X number of games in a certain season so as to comply with the 15% of the remaining value of the contract.

Since I got the C.B.A. junkies in this thread guys I have a hypothetical ? Using Marv as an example: Lets say for purpose of completing a sign and trade Marv accepts a deal just below the limit that would make him a byc player. However with Marv, the Hawks and the team we trade him to all in agreement the Hawks put a trade kicker in his deal to make up for him signing under the byc limit so when he gets to his new team he gets an instant "signing bonus per say" of lets say 5 or 6 mil. Is there anything in the C.B.A. that would prevent this or would that trade kicker automatically move him into byc status thus making the said trade impossible.

• Premium Member

From Coon:

# The value of a trade bonus is pro-rated during the season. In the above example, if the player is traded halfway through the fifth season, then the trade bonus would be $225,000.

So it is pro-rated.

Also from Coon:

If a sign-and-trade contract contains a trade bonus, then the bonus is not earned upon the trade that accompanies the signing, but rather on the first subsequent trade.

From Coon:

So it is pro-rated.

Also from Coon:

Gotcha, I figured the nba lawyers and accountants wouldnt be nieve enough to leave a huge loophole like that but you never know.

Edited by NJHAWK

• Premium Member

Even if you do, the NBA can still threaten you with the "circumvention" clause:

The CBA has a general prohibition on circumvention which states that the rules exist to preserve the benefit derived by the teams and players, and that nobody shall do anything to defeat or circumvent the intent of the agreement. The league can use this prohibition to disallow a trade that they feel circumvents the CBA, even though that trade is not specifically prohibited by the agreement.

Never try to outsmart a lawyer.