• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Something to think about and consider!

Wurider05

I think the NFL model on drafting is to group the players into tiers based on overall talent, then pick from the highest tier at your pick the player who best suits your needs. The idea here is that you don't over worry whether a wide receiver is 1/10th of 1 percent better than a linebacker, you just pick the one that best suits your needs.

I think what was missed about Marvin at the time was his lack of an "alpha dog" mentality. Everyone saw Marvin's tools. but they didn't look close enough at his mental makeup. Oh well, live and learn.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We won 47 games last year and had major injuries in the playoffs and the regular season. We don't know what could have happened if we would have been at full strength. We have a good young team and while we can conjecture as to who might make us better the big question is "might". All we need to do is look at the Clippers. With the talent that they have how in the hell were they not in the finals. I mean Phoenix with Amare wasn't too much better than us. Look at the Raptors people had big predictions for them when they got O'Neil. Same with AI, Elton Brand, Richard Jefferson/Charlie V, TJ Ford in Indiana.

I say we get us a point guard, tweak the bench, and go to war with JJ-Marv-Smoove-Horf for at least one more season. I was listening to 3D after dark yesterday and a caller made a comment that really made me think. They were discussing trading Smoove and he stated that if it came down to Smoove vs. Woody you should go with Woody. His reasons was the Woody has improved every year he has been on the job and the same couldn't be stated for Josh. I am not starting a Smoove thread but rather I think that we seem to overlook what Woody has accomplished even with all of his flaws. I know that his offense sucks but you can't argue with the results. Even with Smoove's boneheadedness, JJ's disappearing act, Bibby's matador defense, Marvin's alleged lack of aggressiveness and impact, Horf's undersizeness--we were able to win 47 games and hell we could have possible won over 50 easily.

So from here on out there my belief is that we stand pat and tweak or bench and get a pg. So no more threads on who we need to keep and get rid of. Like I stated before we all can agree that we need to upgrade the pg spot. Sometimes adding more/better talent doesn't always make a team better.

While we all are debating about who needs to be moved and kept ( I am guilty as charged). The one thing that nearly everyone seems to agree on is that Bibby shouldn't comeback. How funny is that!!!

This team BARELY squeaked by the worst team in the playoffs and next year, this team is going to bottom out. Without some decent upgrades at least.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

• Moderators
I think the NFL model on drafting is to group the players into tiers based on overall talent, then pick from the highest tier at your pick the player who best suits your needs. The idea here is that you don't over worry whether a wide receiver is 1/10th of 1 percent better than a linebacker, you just pick the one that best suits your needs.

I think what was missed about Marvin at the time was his lack of an "alpha dog" mentality. Everyone saw Marvin's tools. but they didn't look close enough at his mental makeup. Oh well, live and learn.

The NFL draft is also predicated on a model with very similar talents and real depth of contributing talent. There is no much depth of talent that you regularly have MVP/All-Pro type talents from the bottom of the draft or going undrafted like:

QB: Kurt Warner, Tom Brady

RB: Michael Turner, Terrell Davis

WR: Marques Colston, Steve Largent

TE: Antonio Gates, Shannon Sharpe

etc.

The depth is such that any NFL team would take 10 3rd round picks every season over the top overall pick every season because they would add multiple starters and get HOF like the above or Joe Montana, etc. No NBA team in the world would trade the top overall pick every season for 10 2nd round picks.

For most NBA teams, they have one shot to find a contributing player and that is it. The depth and opportunities are just not there so I see a much different model and a higher premium on landing a significant talent. And according to the draft "experts" there was a significant gap between Marvin Williams and Chris Paul. Remember, Chris Paul was thought to be pedestrian enough that the Trailblazers deliberately avoided taking him when they had (puke) mediocre (at best) Sebastian Telfair at PG and took a gamble on Martel Webster. Telfair PER his rookie season was lower than Acie's last year and he was drafted after Acie by pick (11 to 13). Anyone think we would pass on a known Chris Paul talent for Acie?

So I think that a lot of folks legitimately had a big gap between Marvin and Paul/Deron as far as star potential went. Obviously, those people badly missed the boat (both ways - overrating Marvin and underrating Paul/Deron).

• Premium Member
Are you disagreeing with the assessment BK made that Marvin was the best player available or are you saying that you would be ticked today if we had drafted a stud SF who was better than Chris Paul because we already had raw small forwards on the roster?

Again, I fault BK for not getting the BPA right. I don't fault him for the idea that we needed to get a star in that draft. Clearly, Paul is the guy under the BPA theory with the benefit of hindsight so I don't want to get confused when we talk about need or BPA as the approach to take after a 13 win season.

Yes, I'm disagreeing with the fact that Marvin was NOT the BPA at the time. He was the best project available at the time. Like I said, I have no problem with taking the BPA even if it's not a position of need, but Marvin was not the BPA. Had he had an impressive freshman year like a Durant/Anthony/Beasley, than a team has no choice but to draft the player. Marvin wasn't nearly that impressive. Marvin had way too many red flags to draft at #2 when we had already spent 3 first round picks at the position in the previous 2 years, and also had a solid player in Harrington.

Again, drafting on need is dumb when you have a 13 win team. But Marvin was not the BPA. He wasn't even a starter and played like garbage in the biggest three games of his life. Anyone that saw enough of his games knew that he was not that impressive of a player.

Honestly, when was the last time a player who isn't a center had such a pedestrian freshman year and went top 2? I can't even think of one.

• Moderators
Yes, I'm disagreeing with the fact that Marvin was NOT the BPA at the time. He was the best project available at the time.

Again, drafting on need is dumb when you have a 13 win team. But Marvin was not the BPA.

Then you and I are on the same page here.