• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

rick sund on 790 the zone

Wurider05

He stated that he likes the direction of the team and that we were the youngest team to make the playoffs. he stressed that we are young and our players haven't peaked yet. he stated that things will flatten out eventually and that was when you look at making trades. he stated that we are still improving from within. Talked about the directions in the draft and stated that we were going best player available. Talked Al Horford up alot and stated that if he wouldn't got hurt he would have been an all star this season. So Al Horford is our center of the present and that future.

points he made

*Defenses geared toward stopping JJ in the playoffs but he didn't disappear.

*Likes Stephen curry

*Tyler Hansbrough is a possibility for us

*Free agency will be used to help our team more so than the the draft.

*There is a chance Childress comes back if he wants to.

*Would like to have Marvin back on our team. he has gotten better each year. The sum of our parts is what make a good team ala the Pistons.

*We are not shopping guys or for guys until we take a step back.

*We beat all the good teams in the west and the west was tougher than the eat. We need to get consistent to get better.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

points he made

*Would like to have Marvin back on our team. he has gotten better each year. The sum of our parts is what make a good team ala the Pistons.

Thanks for the update. ........

Glad he mentioned Hansbrough by name. Did he mention any other guys in the draft by name besides Curry ?

Glad he specifically said he wanted Marvin back. Did he mention Bibby, ZaZa, or Flip by name or just Marvin ?

What does you last point mean ?( "Take a step back") Was he refering to when the team stops progressing ?

Edited by coachx

Thank God, it's nice to hear reassurances from the GM rather than reading posts from some of the yahoos on this board and national media *cough* Chadwick Fraud. Although it could all be a smoke screen by the wily vet GM but it's nice to think that we might be players in free agency rather than draft day trades in this notoriously weak draft.

it's nice to think that we might be players in free agency

I would like to know the context in which Sund said that remark. Looking at our salary cap situation an cap holds it seems impossible to be players in free agency.

Thanks for the update. ........

Glad he mentioned Hansbrough by name. Did he mention any other guys in the draft by name besides Curry ?

Glad he specifically said he wanted Marvin back. Did he mention Bibby, ZaZa, or Flip by name or just Marvin ?

What does you last point mean ?( "Take a step back") Was he refering to when the team stops progressing ?

I would need to see a transcript or hear audio myself but I took the "take a step back" line as not continuing to progress like we have previously or just regressing in terms of wins and losses. Sund seems pretty big on the idea our guys are still getting better but I guess if strides aren't taken that's when he'll decide to pull the trigger on any trades.

It's interesting that he mentioned Curry. That leads me to believe that we're trying to move the 19th pick and I'd imagine Acie and Speedy for a multi-year ~7-9 million dollar contract and I could see maybe the Wizards being a team we'd try and make that move with since they reportedly want to move their pick and we'd almost certainly have to get that high to get Curry. He would be an extremely interesting pairing with JJ in our backcourt that's for sure and what's even more interesting is that the "Best Case" scenario according to DX for Curry is none other than Mike Bibby. Maybe we re-sign Bibby for 2-3 years and groom Curry behind him? So maybe there'd be a trade like this:

Acie/Speedy/19th pick for Songaila/Stevenson (or Blatche)/5th pick

We take Curry with the 5th pick and Washington is still able to land someone at 19 that could help them and it clears about 6 million in cap space for 2010 and possibly about 4.5 million in real dollars this year if insurance covers 80% of Speedy's contract.

from the interview I gathered that "step back" means stop getting better. He sounded really impressed at how our players get better each year the team gets better. he actually stated that when he took the job he was just hoping that we could keep the 8th seed.

As far Chillz he stated that he could come back to the NBA if he wanted to (not necessarily the Hawks) but the the contract situation with the Hawks and Chillz would be the same.

He stated that Stephen Curry would a great fit with JJ. He seemed high on Lawson as well but he stated that he didn't think that he would be there at 19.

Kind of danced around Bibby. Didn't talk much about Zaza or Flip.

If I had to guess I would say that we will be drafting Tyler Hansbrough if he is there. He stated that BJ Mullens was a project that would take time but that you know what Tyler gives you from the start. He compared him to Eduardo Najera.

We may probably be tweaking this summer it sounds like he doesn't want to break up the core. But for some reason I don't think that Bibby will be back.

As far free agency I think he will be looking for bargains like last season.

for some reason I am just not sold on Curry!

Edited by Wurider05

• Premium Member

Yeah, I'm surprised about the FA thing, too, b/c I could've sworn that Sund said something before about the trade route being the most likely way to improve for next season. Maybe not.

I've had Ramon Sessions on the brain lately, so I can't help but wonder if Sund feels he has a real shot at him, especially since he seems open to taking Hansbrough instead of one of the many PGs we all talk about. Sessions is from Myrtle Beach, so I can't help but wonder if being closer to home would be a selling point.

• Premium Member
It's interesting that he mentioned Curry. That leads me to believe that we're trying to move the 19th pick and I'd imagine Acie and Speedy for a multi-year ~7-9 million dollar contract and I could see maybe the Wizards being a team we'd try and make that move with since they reportedly want to move their pick and we'd almost certainly have to get that high to get Curry. He would be an extremely interesting pairing with JJ in our backcourt that's for sure and what's even more interesting is that the "Best Case" scenario according to DX for Curry is none other than Mike Bibby. Maybe we re-sign Bibby for 2-3 years and groom Curry behind him? So maybe there'd be a trade like this:

We take Curry with the 5th pick and Washington is still able to land someone at 19 that could help them and it clears about 6 million in cap space for 2010 and possibly about 4.5 million in real dollars this year if insurance covers 80% of Speedy's contract.

Dude, if that's the case I would be EXTREMELY excited about this draft. That's a draft move that helps us NOW rather than later. I always thought Curry "looked" like a Hawk anyway. I'd make that trade 7 days out of the week to get Curry in a Hawks uniform. But do think the Wiz would bite on a trade like this? I mean, I know they save a lot of cash, but how would that look to their fans?

He stated that he likes the direction of the team and that we were the youngest team to make the playoffs. he stressed that we are young and our players haven't peaked yet. he stated that things will flatten out eventually and that was when you look at making trades. he stated that we are still improving from within. Talked about the directions in the draft and stated that we were going best player available. Talked Al Horford up alot and stated that if he wouldn't got hurt he would have been an all star this season. So Al Horford is our center of the present and that future.

points he made

*Defenses geared toward stopping JJ in the playoffs but he didn't disappear.

*Likes Stephen curry

*Free agency will be used to help our team more so than the the draft.

*There is a chance Childress comes back if he wants to.

*We beat all the good teams in the west and the west was tougher than the eat. We need to get consistent to get better.

Translation:this team is really going nowhere.

Remember Rick Sund said "You don't trade for superstars, you draft them." Well, could that mean we draft up to get one? Man, I hope we can draft Tyler Hansbrough at 19. Curry and Hansbrough on the Hawks? That would be amazing, (only if Woodson would play them).

Re trade for Curry, he also said they would do more via FA than the draft. I don't see that happening. And I don't think he would even mention what he is considering. If I were him and mentioned TH I would do it merely a misdirection.

But on the other hand, as I have said. If we got TH and then bought a late first rounder we could pick up Douglas and that would be a pair.

:lol6:

Although your negative comments are really annoying, I must say... until we get rid of Mike Woodson, we can't expect to be much more than we were last year.

Well if history has taught us anything it's that the Hawks won't improve the following year under Mike Woodson ... oh wait they have improved EVERY SINGLE YEAR UNDER MIKE WOODSON. So much like Sund I'm willing to give Woody and the team the benefit of the doubt until we plateau or regress. That MIGHT happen this year but as long as Sund does his job and we have relatively good health I am confident we'll improve next year as well.

Dude, if that's the case I would be EXTREMELY excited about this draft. That's a draft move that helps us NOW rather than later. I always thought Curry "looked" like a Hawk anyway. I'd make that trade 7 days out of the week to get Curry in a Hawks uniform. But do think the Wiz would bite on a trade like this? I mean, I know they save a lot of cash, but how would that look to their fans?

As a fan I doubt that trade could happen but we see trades like that every year and as fans they are shocking to us and we're always going WTF why couldn't we pull off a trade like that. So I guess if the Wizards are interested in cutting some salary for 2010 and really want to get out of the 5th pick I could certainly see it happening. We lose Acie who's likely to never become much with the Hawks and get out of Speedy's contract and pick up a couple of useful veteran players with some playoff experience. Stevenson could replace Flip and instantly upgrade the defense there and Songaila gives us a nice option at the 3-4 off the bench and we pick up the hopefully stud guard to pair with JJ. I guess on the Hawks end the big question is what will our cap look like in 2010 and will this harm us that much with our other FAs at that time and is Curry worth it. To me the answer would be yes.