• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

rick sund on 790 the zone

Wurider05

• Premium Member

I listened to the interview also and think some of you are misinterpreting what Sund said with respect to other players. In most cases, he was merely responding to specific questions on specific players, i.e. what do you think about Tyler Hansborough, what do you think about Stephen Curry, etc. I don't recall hearing him mention a player without being prompted through a question.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to tell you guys, it wasn't Sund that brought up the names Hansbrough and Curry. The people interviewing him did and Sund was just simply commenting about them.

Other notes that hasn't been said:

*BJ Mullens was brought up and Rick Sund said that he's a prospect and won't contribute right away and that the Hawks are looking at him.

*Ty Lawson was also brought up and Rick Sund says that he has amazing speed and knows how to play. They are looking at him but he doesn't feel that he will be available at 19.

*Interviewer brought up that Joe Johnson seems to disappear in some games and Rick Sund responded that the defense did a great job and that the opposing teams gameplan on defense is revolved around Joe and how to stop him. He also said that Joe does step up during big games (gave Game 7 as an example) and that Joe is an underrated player since he makes shots that are considered "bad shots" for other players.

*He also gave us a statistic that we beat every team in the West at least one time except for Phoenix and San Antonio and he hopes that we win more consistently on the road.

*He also noted that before the regular season started, he was hoping for a 7th or 8th seed and was surprised and was proud that the team got the 4th seed.

Well if history has taught us anything it's that the Hawks won't improve the following year under Mike Woodson ... oh wait they have improved EVERY SINGLE YEAR UNDER MIKE WOODSON. So much like Sund I'm willing to give Woody and the team the benefit of the doubt until we plateau or regress. That MIGHT happen this year but as long as Sund does his job and we have relatively good health I am confident we'll improve next year as well.

This teams "brand" of basketball sure isn't improving. I still see a team that doesn't move the ball, play consistent defense, and the teams best player is already on the decline. Al is no better than he was as a rookie. In fact, his overall impact might have been worse this season. He still has no offensive game unless the other teams front line is really mediocre. His rebounding was also down this season. Josh Smith didn't improve this season. Marvin Williams shot a higher percentage, but his scoring went down. I think most of the improvement this season came from the east perhaps getting worse.

This team is a bit of an enigma. It's a strange team. Often this team wins playing bad basketball. There is only so far you can go that way. If this team goes back as basically the same this season, it will suffer a reality check.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

I want to get Curry but I just dont see it going down. Maybe, just maybe his stock falls enough to get him to 10 and then we make that Speedy and 19 for Luke and 10 trade you guys came up with. Only two problems with this idea #1. If Curry falls to 10 Mil will get alot better offers for their pick than that and #2. I doubt Curry's stock falls that far. We need to pull a BJ RAJI on Curry and get a failed drug test rumor out there. Then again this is the nba at least half the league tokes.

The thing that I like the most is the fact that it sounds as we'll stay the course and keep our core for at least another year! Let's face it!

It's the best thing to do, knowing how young our core players are and the fact that they are constantly improving... There's been nothing that should make us think otherwise... just realize the steady progress and achievements of our team. We're among youngest teams in the league (for sure the youngest if you only count starting 5)! Potential is obvious and it would be such a shame if we didn't give this team a proper shot! We need to be more patient.

What this team needs is addition of couple of veteran FA's to stretch our bench (hopefully we can get a good shooter)... I'm sure that we'll all agree that if we have a deeper bench, a rotation of 9 or even 10 players, we could be a much better team... We could play high-tempo game the entire game, without having blackouts! There aren't many teams that can keep up with that and play total basketball... Our strenghts are tempo, athleticism, defence!

• Premium Member
It's interesting that he mentioned Curry. That leads me to believe that we're trying to move the 19th pick and I'd imagine Acie and Speedy for a multi-year ~7-9 million dollar contract and

Acie/Speedy/19th pick for Songaila/Stevenson (or Blatche)/5th pick

I was thinking that same thing:

Acie/Speedy/future first for Stevenson/Blatche/5th pick.

I think that the cap situation that Washington is in right now, they wouldn't neccessarily want the 19th pick. They might, but why waste that Million. They are not a drafting type team anyway.

The other thing is why is Sund looking at he various assortment of players that he's looking at.

I mean, he's definitely looking at guys who will be early first rounders. If he trades Acie, he will have to replace Acie.

Our draft could be:

Curry and Hansbrough.

Curry could play Bibby's game and would be a pretty good shooter off the bench. He might fit Woody's style.

I think that Washington gets a Big PG who is fast. I think that Acie is better than Critt. I think that they could then move Arenas to the Sg permanently and let Acie or Critt run the team. They get the financial savings from Speedy and they get to keep their big three together. Healthy, Washington is a very formidable team... especially with Flip coaching them.

Edited by Diesel

But would the ASG want to pay two first rounders? I think that we forget that they maybe broke or close to it. They may trade 19 for a 2nd round pick just to save money!!!

First round contracts are cheap.

$$ is not the issue. However, we have been mislead. Sund is not trading up for Curry. He was specifically asked about Curry and basically said..........(Sure he is nice player who would look nice next to JJ.) Plenty of top 10 picks are nice players who would look nice in a Hawks uniform. That does not mean Sund is trying to trade up to get them.

I would be thrilled with Hanbrough at #19 and Douglas, Mills, Collison,or McClinton at 27-34 if we could somehow trade up from pick 49. (McClinton and Douglas could be more efficient version of Flip Murray and Mills and Collison would have a shot at being the longterm PG solution).

Edited by coachx

actually defenses were geared to stopping JJ AND HE DID DISAPPEAR..what freaking games was he watching, it was obvious, the announcers talked about it, the fans talked about it, JJ talked about it...is he blind?

There is a chance Childress comes back if he wants to AND WE PAY HIM WHAT HE WANTS...

i wouldnt say with so much certainty that the west is so much better than the east honestly, it's not like recent years. the east has gotten better.........and we shouldn't be worried about the west teams anyway, ITS THE EAST TEAMS WE PLAY MOST AND PLAY IN THE PLAYOFFS..and they showed theyw ere much better than us...

Al Horford would not have been an allstar if he had not gotten hurt..

the stuff about curry and hansbrough is all fine although its prolly just a smokescreen...but this other mess makes me concerned about this guy...what kind of corporate ambigous rhetoric is he using when using us beating west teams to justify how good we are...

He stated that he likes the direction of the team and that we were the youngest team to make the playoffs. he stressed that we are young and our players haven't peaked yet. he stated that things will flatten out eventually and that was when you look at making trades. he stated that we are still improving from within. Talked about the directions in the draft and stated that we were going best player available. Talked Al Horford up alot and stated that if he wouldn't got hurt he would have been an all star this season. So Al Horford is our center of the present and that future.

points he made

*Defenses geared toward stopping JJ in the playoffs but he didn't disappear.

*Likes Stephen curry

*Tyler Hansbrough is a possibility for us

*Free agency will be used to help our team more so than the the draft.

*There is a chance Childress comes back if he wants to.

*Would like to have Marvin back on our team. he has gotten better each year. The sum of our parts is what make a good team ala the Pistons.

*We are not shopping guys or for guys until we take a step back.

*We beat all the good teams in the west and the west was tougher than the eat. We need to get consistent to get better.

• Premium Member
But would the ASG want to pay two first rounders? I think that we forget that they maybe broke or close to it. They may trade 19 for a 2nd round pick just to save money!!!

Uhm... We just paid Bibby 15 Million for the season.

The bottom line is this. I don't know if Marvin will be back. Sund talks as if it's questionable. I think what he's really saying is that he doesn't want to spend that much on Marvin. I think he realizes that he can get Chillz back for cheaper and Chillz would be a fool not to come back this year.

Two first rounders will be about 4 million. They will fill two roster spots. They will add good depth to the team. I think Sund would be happy with it.

Me personally, if it were my choice, I would take Teague and whoever Sund wants at 19. However, he could be leaning for Curry and Hansbrough (which I'm not so mad at either).

The problem that we have is that we have a Lamborghini engine and Woody is coaching us like an old chevy. He has to let our guys learn to maul teams with our speed and athlticism. He has always been a guy to say "Wait" and that's not good.

I also think that Sund is BENT on bringing Bibby back and would expect to see us with Bibby at 10 Million per for the next 3 or 4 years. Bibby is not worth it... I wouldn't give Bibby any more than Speedy gets... but Sund will spend it.

So here's how I think it may work out:

Trade with Washington.

We pick Curry/Hansbrough and send that 2nd round pick overseas.

IN FAcy, we resign Zaza, Flip, and Bibby. IF Chillz come over, we sign him too. We try to deal Marvin down to 6.6 Million. He goes somewhere else, we get a pick out of it.

Our team could be:

Bibby, Curry, Flip

Joe, Stevenson

Chillz/Evans

Smoove/Hansbrough

Horf/Blatche/Zaza/Randolph.

I'm not upset with that team at all.

I want to believe that we would bring back Flip and Zaza... however, more than likely, if we make the deal, we won't bring both of them back. We might not bring either of them back. Stevenson would be a perfect compliment to Joe off the bench. He AUTOMATICALLY becomes the best defender we have and would allow Joe to either play Point Gaurd (point foward) or Small Forward).

Blatche can't replace the physicalness of Zaza, but he brings Speed and athletic ability.

one thing that is not discussed enough by sund is david andersen..this guys needs to come over and NOW...not only does he APPEAR to have talent but he also looks to be hungry since he's been sitting on the overseas pine for so long..

sund- BRING DAVID ANDERSON OVER!.

one thing that is not discussed enough by sund is david andersen..this guys needs to come over and NOW...not only does he APPEAR to have talent but he also looks to be hungry since he's been sitting on the overseas pine for so long..

Agreed !

• Premium Member
D are you suggesting that Washington would do the following deal?

Speedy/Law for Songaila/Stevenson (or Blatche)/5th pick

That is absolute fantasy, IMO.

Actually, I say:

Speedy/Law/future 1st for Stevenson/Blatche/5th pick.

Here's why.

Speedy helps their finances a lot.

Law could be their starting point guard or at the least he challenges Critt.

The future first has to be added.

They give up those three players because salarywise, it allows them to keep Butler, Jamison, and Arenas through 2010.

The truth is that nobody will take on Arenas' mammoth contract.

Butler and Jamison are vet players that Washington probably wants to keep.

When Agent 0 comes back, they become a win now team.

Getting Law allows them to move Agent 0 to SG...

If Agent 0 is playing SG (which he will do with Critt or Law) then they really have very little need for Stevenson. He makes too much to be a player off the bench for 10 minutes of burn. Plus they still have Nick Young.

Right now, Washington has better youth than what they give up and they have no need to take on another project player with a 2+ Million dollar salary. Speedy is a good deal for them.

The future pick could be after 2010... IN 2010, half of their young players will be up for re-sign. Getting this deal done will give the the money to go after one more named player and resign their best youth.

• Premium Member

Get it in your mind. Andersen is not coming and was never coming. We drafted him in the second round on a chance that we might pick him up if he develops. Well, since then.. we have had several opportunities to bring him over and didn't. He has developed. We just don't want him.

Get it in your mind. Andersen is not coming and was never coming. We drafted him in the second round on a chance that we might pick him up if he develops. Well, since then.. we have had several opportunities to bring him over and didn't. He has developed. We just don't want him.

Diesel has spoken.

No need thinking for yourself anymore.