• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

I finally found Al Horford's statistical cousin.

mrhonline

• Premium Member

I cannot tell you how hard I've been searching for this.

It's hard to find a guy contributing so 'across the board' but taking so few shots...But I've found him:

B-R.com

Horford is already the better offensive player (efficiency, passing, win shares). He's also got that "champion's mentality," if you ask me...

It's hard to find a guy contributing so 'across the board' but taking so few shots...But I've found him:

B-R.com

Horford is already the better offensive player (efficiency, passing, win shares). He's also got that "champion's mentality," if you ask me...

Closer to home - I'm surprised how close he and his former teammate are statistically.

B-R Comparison

B-R.com

Mahorn was a good player, but a complementary one. I hope Al becomes more then that, though I am not sure he has the make-up to be a go-to scorer.

When I think of guys who contribute across the board but do not take many shots I think of guys like Dikembe Mutumbo, Ben Wallace, Dennis Rodman, etc. (each in their prime).

• Premium Member
Mahorn was a good player, but a complementary one. I hope Al becomes more then that, though I am not sure he has the make-up to be a go-to scorer.

Mahorn never really improved, though.

That's the question with Al. Will he improve???

Mahorn is similar from a statistical comparison. From a physical and visual perspective I have alwayse thought Antonio Davis was a close comparison to Al Horford. Their style of play and even the way they move are very similar. However, Horford should have a better career since his stats are so much better for his first 2 years in the league.

I alwayse give the player who played the most minutes the edge (when comparing guys who did not play equal mpg). Those per 36 minute stats are helpfull but there is something to be said for the guy who is able to keep up a level of play for that extra 8 mpg. ( Horford played 32 mpg to Noah's 24 mpg. Its much easier to bust your but if your only playing 1/2 the game like Noah does). There is also the time played against starters vs. time played against backups variable.

For example............we have seen ZaZa excel when given 20 - 24 mpg but when you start him and give him heavy minutes he loses some effectiveness (when asked to do it over a consecutive games.(

Edited by coachx

Ive have seen Mahorn out in public a few times and both times he was treating people like an Ahole. I think the worse Ive ever seen was AI though. This woman had her son with her at a store one time and she asked AI to sign her sons jersey that he was wearing and he just gave her a dirty look and kept walking. The kid took the jersey off and handed it to his mother to give to AI and he kept walking. Finally the kid started crying and his mom said please sign it for him and he signed it while he was walking and purposely dropped it on the floor without even looking back at the kid. The mother was so pizzed she picked up the shirt threw it at AI and im guessing his wife and said my son will never wear your f'n jersey again and she told him where he could put it. The police came a few minutes later and the guy at the store told me they have to come every time AI comes in. He said as soon as he walks in the manager calls the police because he knows something like that will happen. He also says he treats his wife like she is a dog.

• Moderators
Yeah, Kurt Thomas came up a few times when narrowing down the search.

How do you search for comparable players on basketball reference? Just trial and error via the comparison tool?

• Premium Member
How do you search for comparable players on basketball reference? Just trial and error via the comparison tool?

I use the player season comparison. I isolate certain stats I think are indicative of a player's skill and position.

For Horford, I looked at things like DReb% (his strength), FTA/36, TS%, Ast%. I'll usually narrow it down to players around the same age, experience, and height.

Then, once I've eyeballed a few guys that would seem to be good fits, I compare their careers.