Merged: Law & Speedy traded for Jamal Crawford

MemphisX

• Premium Member

Big News here.

First and foremost... I say that we're not through dealing.

Thinking it through, Crawford is not really a PG.

Crawford is definitely an OG similar to Joe Johnson in style.

I think this trade means... NO FLIP.

I'm not mad about this.

However, I can't say that we won't get a PG. I think we probably grab one in the draft.

Another possibility is a trade of Johnson?

I highly doubt that now... however, it's a possibility.

This does mean, it's possible that either Bibby or Marvin is a goner. Chillz maybe too. However, it's a much bigger step than I expected from Sund. He saved money in that we won't be signing Flip.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Premium Member
If we keep bibby and draft a pg then crawford can play shooting guard and johnson could move to the small forward spot. The odd man out is Marvin and it will be interesting if we try and get a big for him or let him walk.

This is a very good point. I didn't think about it like this, but Crawford could be the starting SG allowing Joe to play Sf. i have it in my mind (after hearing Gearon Jr.) that Bibby is coming back... so just imagine:

Bibby, Crawford, Joe, Smoove, and Horf.

It might be that Flip comes back... then you have::::

Too Many Shots!!!

IF JChillz comes back from over seas, he will be SNTed.

I assure you he'll be taking a left turn after doing that the 3rd time

Everything runs through Joe. I don't necessarily like it, but it's the way it is.

And then you'll have an $8 mill guy sitting on your bench sulking or suffering from mysterious illnesses as happened last year with the Warriors. After years in the league, Crawford still doesn't play a lick of D. Still doesn't have good shot selection. Still doesn't push the tempo. If Crawford plays, he'll play like Crawford. Or he won't play.

• Premium Member
yea, i could see Joe playin the 3

JJ's height/strength advantage at the 2 should be exploited as much as possible, IMHO. Besides, Crawford and Marvin will play a good bit of time at the 1 and the 4, respectively.

I do agree with Diesel that this means no Flip. And I have to wonder if that had to do with the lack of Bird rights. This trade now frees up the Hawks to use their MLE on a PG if they miss out on Bibby.

And then you'll have an $8 mill guy sitting on your bench sulking or suffering from mysterious illnesses as happened last year with the Warriors. After years in the league, Crawford still doesn't play a lick of D. Still doesn't have good shot selection. Still doesn't push the tempo. If Crawford plays, he'll play like Crawford. Or he won't play.

Woodrow didn't have a problem with sitting the 11th pick at the end of the bench, I'm sure he'll do the same with Crawford if need be.

• Premium Member

What GS fans don't realize is that the Hawks had a shorter version of Crawford playing major minutes off the bench last year. And it worked just fine. (Crawford has better range, too).

Edited by mrhonline

Crawford reminds me of what ppl expect Tyreke Evans to become. a 6-5 scoring combo gaurd who can dribble and attack the rim. is an effective but not efficient shooter, and needs to improve passing.

So basically we drafted Evans an advanced him 8 years in the league.

For our style of play, i think Crawford fits as the starting pg and backup sg, depending on whatever moves we make. his defense is so suspect because he is usually mismatched against starting nba sg's. i think against pg's he provides sufficient defense for us as he has the height and quickness to be disruptive. at worst he should still be better than bibby on defense. he also avg the same amount of assist as bibby by the way for those who dont think he can distibute the ball as well. the thing i like the best is that he can penetrate and attack the rim, something we have lacked from that position in a while.

• Premium Member
What GS fans don't realize is that the Hawks had a shorter version of Crawford playing major minutes off the bench last year. And it worked just fine. (Crawford has better range, too).

Thankyou Mr H. Crawford is a much better Flip IMHO. He's also a better passer than what he's getting credit for. I think this trade will work out much better than fine.

• Premium Member
JJ's height/strength advantage at the 2 should be exploited as much as possible, IMHO. Besides, Crawford and Marvin will play a good bit of time at the 1 and the 4, respectively.

I do agree with Diesel that this means no Flip. And I have to wonder if that had to do with the lack of Bird rights. This trade now frees up the Hawks to use their MLE on a PG if they miss out on Bibby.

JJ still has a height/Strength advantage on most 3s. It's a speedy disadvantage that Joe has with most 2s and that wears him down.. trying to chase 2s all over the place. Joe showed this season that he's a good 3. I mean, she's he's heavier than Smoove.

If we move Joe to SF, Flip could come back!

• Premium Member
D, you know a Flip/Crawford/JJ backcourt wouldn't work.

Crawford replaces Flip, allowing you to go big at times, and rest JJ at others.

I'm believing that we will resign Bibby.

So Bibby/Crawford/Joe/Smoove/Horf until I hear otherwise.

I still haven't resigned myself to believing that another trade can't happen?

I just want to mention that even tho his style of play may suggest otherwise, dude is a class act off the court. he is very professional and will provide veteran leadership on our roster. things that are very important but are often over looked.

• Premium Member
I'm believing that we will resign Bibby.

This trade makes me think that the Hawks are afraid Bibby may go back west (Portland).

On a GS blog, they mentioned that the "Crawford camp" was excited that he would get to play PG for a playoff team...

Sure he can. You just give him the ball and tell him to bring it up the court and pass it to JJ

Except Crawford will have the ball in his hands more often when he is the point guard. And we all know what that means...

Crawford's shots taken per game went way up when he played the 1 for the Knicks.

I'm ALL for this signing, but I don't believe Crawford can efficiently play PG. All of you who favor him there will soon be calling him 'Crawful' instead.

I just want to mention that even tho his style of play may suggest otherwise, dude is a class act off the court. he is very professional and will provide veteran leadership on our roster. things that are very important but are often over looked.

How is somebody that's never been to the playoffs going to provide leadership? lol