• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Law & Speedy traded for Jamal Crawford

MemphisX

I'm believing that we will resign Bibby.

So Bibby/Crawford/Joe/Smoove/Horf until I hear otherwise.

I still haven't resigned myself to believing that another trade can't happen?

Hawks finished 23rd in rebounding last year and were destroyed in the Cavs series. A Bibby/Crawford/Joe combination would not only leave our backcourt exceptionally vulnerable to any opposing guard with average quickness but would make us even smaller to grab the rebound. I understand that Joe played the opposing team's top perimeter scorer at times, but do we really want to see him play 30 minutes a game against the likes of Granger, Pierce, LeBron & Beasley?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yeah...before the playoffs, there is this little thing called the regular season. to my knowledge, most teams actually have to play 82 games before thinking about the postseason. and during these 82 insignificant games, there is a need for locker room presence of ppl who can help a young roster be professionals and deal with the media, losing streaks, lack of playing time, disagreements with the coach, etc. anytime you can inject somebody into the locker room who has experience and maturity it helps. especially when the 2nd best player on the team is a whiney punk who has to have his way or else. if bibby doesnt come back, who is gonna be in his ear to calm him down. we already know mr. joe wont do it because he doesnt speak....ever. so, lets think about that for a min b4 a judge a players post season experience over his experience in the league as a whole.

yeah...before the playoffs, there is this little thing called the regular season. to my knowledge, most teams actually have to play 82 games before thinking about the postseason. and during these 82 insignificant games, there is a need for locker room presence of ppl who can help a young roster be professionals and deal with the media, losing streaks, lack of playing time, disagreements with the coach, etc. anytime you can inject somebody into the locker room who has experience and maturity it helps. especially when the 2nd best player on the team is a whiney punk who has to have his way or else. if bibby doesnt come back, who is gonna be in his ear to calm him down. we already know mr. joe wont do it because he doesnt speak....ever. so, lets think about that for a min b4 a judge a players post season experience over his experience in the league as a whole.

Where does this claim of Crawford giving leadership come from? How can losers give leadership? He's never experienced anything but losing. 3 other teams didn't think his so called leadership was worthy. The most offensive minded coaches don't even want to keep him. There are reasons for this. He will disrupt what little offense this team has. If he wasn't such a low percentage chunker there wouldn't be a problem. One of this teams many problems is that they fire tons of jumpshots. This guy just adds MORE jumpshots

Edited by Hotlanta1981

so because he was on 3 suckey teams, his experience in the league means nothing. he was never the cause for losing but was always shipped around. yet he still tried to hold the teams together when he was there. key example, the stephon ordeal in NY. He tried to play mediator during that time. Look up some of the guy's interviews and see for urself. he plays to the style he is asked to play. In GS, they wanted him to be agressive so he did. He doesnt have to be the "guy" here in ATL. he can play off Joe and chip in when needed.

Ask Cleveland if the fact Mo Williams was loser stopped him from providing leadership for the Cavs. It was Lebrons team, but he still was a veteran that younger guys could look to.

This is Joes team but Crawford can still share things with his younger teamates about being professional, not jus winning on the court, but off the court as well.

Edited by RedDawg#8

he plays to the style he is asked to play.

You must be a fan. He plays like he does because he likes to play ghetto ball.

Really, why would somebody want a shooter that can't shoot that well when they don't add defense or anything? He's a good stat player to have for lousy teams, but teams keep getting rid of him because he doesn't improve a team. If he improved a team somebody would want to keep him.

link

So the Jamal Crawford camp is elated about his being traded to Atlanta. I’m told by team sources the Warriors have agreed in principle. The deal can’t be completed until the 2009-10 season begins on July 1. Crawford gets to play point guard on a playoff team. Plus, his son lives in Atlanta with his mom.

The Warriors are elated, too. In essence, they are trading $19 million over the next two years for about $4 million. Speedy Claxton’s $5.2 million will likely be covered mostly by insurance (I think 80 percent) as the injured point guard isn’t expected to play. Law is scheduled to make $2.2 million next season.

I’ve been told by Warriors insiders that neither Claxton nor Law is the Warriors’ answer to their point guard solutions. They are still in the market for a PG, so this trade does not rule out them drafting a point guard.

b4 this trade i could have cared less about crawford, but since he is here im hoping we can get the most from this guy.

if u watch an interview right after his trade to gs, he mentions that it was hes teamates who told him to play more aggresive and not hold back. he was ready to pull his game back for his new team but they requested the opposite.

and how can a guy who is not from the ghetto play "ghetto ball". i think if u hear the guy speak u will have a totally different opinion about him and where he comes from.

thats why i said dont judge him by his game, dude is very mature and acknowledges that he has been in some bad situations with rebuilding teams but has always tried to make the best of it. u have never heard any negativity about his character, which is why i said he could be leader. the fact that he puts up 20 ppg on losing teams shouldnt detriment a mans character.

he isnt ghetto, he isnt a thug. he plays hard core aggressive bball and should be able to flourish in a situation where he isnt the 1st 2nd or possibly 3rd option on offense. he can sit back and attack whenever defenses forget he is out there.

i feel like the fact that he has never won anything will only make him that much hungrier and will pay off immensely for us. nobody wants to be known for losing and im sure he is excited about the oppurtunity he has with us and will be willing to accept whatever role he has to to do that. he has that kind of character.

"ghetto ball" ....smh

b4 this trade i could have cared less about crawford, but since he is here im hoping we can get the most from this guy.

if u watch an interview right after his trade to gs, he mentions that it was hes teamates who told him to play more aggresive and not hold back. he was ready to pull his game back for his new team but they requested the opposite.

and how can a guy who is not from the ghetto play "ghetto ball". i think if u hear the guy speak u will have a totally different opinion about him and where he comes from.

thats why i said dont judge him by his game, dude is very mature and acknowledges that he has been in some bad situations with rebuilding teams but has always tried to make the best of it. u have never heard any negativity about his character, which is why i said he could be leader. the fact that he puts up 20 ppg on losing teams shouldnt detriment a mans character.

he isnt ghetto, he isnt a thug. he plays hard core aggressive bball and should be able to flourish in a situation where he isnt the 1st 2nd or possibly 3rd option on offense. he can sit back and attack whenever defenses forget he is out there.

i feel like the fact that he has never won anything will only make him that much hungrier and will pay off immensely for us. nobody wants to be known for losing and im sure he is excited about the oppurtunity he has with us and will be willing to accept whatever role he has to to do that. he has that kind of character.

"ghetto ball" ....smh

I didn't say he was ghetto. When I say Ghetto ball I mean the repeated crossovers and one on one play. That doesn't mean that I think he is a thug. All I know is from I have watched him play. And I've seen him play enough to know how he plays the game. He might say this... or he might say that. But the fact are that every year of his career he has shot poorly and has taken a lot of shots. If he was really trying to help a team wouldn't he attempt to play better defense?

Losing never made Shareef better. If he has the best intentions it doesn't show on the court. And that's largely where it matters. Sheed is the type of guy also that probably intends to mean well. But on the court is where the results matter.

It mlows my mind how so many are critical when we gave up to guys that averaged like 2 points a game?

My grandmother used to say: They wouldn't be happy if you gave them the world and put a fense around it.

Because this is not a video game. When we get a big man that can actually help the team I'll be happy.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

I didn't say he was ghetto. When I say Ghetto ball I mean the repeated crossovers and one on one play. That doesn't mean that I think he is a thug. All I know is from I have watched him play. And I've seen him play enough to know how he plays the game. He might say this... or he might say that. But the fact are that every year of his career he has shot poorly and has taken a lot of shots. If he was really trying to help a team wouldn't he attempt to play better defense?

Losing never made Shareef better. If he has the best intentions it doesn't show on the court. And that's largely where it matters. Sheed is the type of guy also that probably intends to mean well. But on the court is where the results matter.

Because this is not a video game. When we get a big man that can actually help the team I'll be happy.

THis trade doesn't effect our ability to get a big man so why are you complaining. This trade is clearly a win for the Hawks. We give up two essentially worthless assets and get a guy whos gonna be better than our best bench player last year if hes not starting. Plus the man can score and we sorely need scorers.

dude has been on teams that were either devoid of talent, or trying to find an identity. here, neither is the case. we are a playoff team that is merely looking for role players. he doesnt have to feel the need to put up 20 points a game. all he has to do is get in where he fits in. his job will be alot easier here than it has been in the past. jus drive the ball and shoot the open shot. flip worked out well for us despite his past labels, i dont see why crawford cant seeing that he is a better ovr player

Wow I dont know what to say. Just got home and found out about this. The deal is finalized but will be announced July 1st but Im not sure why that is. At least thats whats on real gm. I have to catch up on the 10 pages of this topic but my 1st reaction is bye bye Flip? or maybe Bibby? Whats the word?

Hey hot, let me see if I can add some perspective. I spent 4.5 years out of the ATL and got to watch Chicago basketball while gone. I got to see the better 2 years of Crawford in Chicago. Chicago was rebuilding. Crawford shared backcourt duties with Hinrick in 2003-2004. On a very young team, he carried himself professionally and it pained the Bulls to send him to NY. On a team that just didn't have the players to win much, he showed up every day. Put up 17.3 points, 5.1 assists and was a locker room asset on a terrible team. This guy has played in bad luck, he has not been the problem.

He shot a terrible percentage because his game was all about penetrating and drawing a foul. The kind of thing Lebron kills us on. That coupled with a high percentage of 3's and his shooting percentage is low. But his effectiveness is decent. 03-04 is the last time he played substantial point and his numbers were comparable to Bibby's. The difference is he's is 5 inches taller with a total reach difference of 8 inches. This makes shooting over him much different than shooting over Bibby. To play decent defense on the perimeter he just doesn't have to work as hard.

Financially, if Crawford is really Bibby's replacement. What you did is trade away Law and Speedy's money and dropped Bibby's 14 mil a year for Crawford's 9. By drafting a point guard tomorrow and paying him 3 mil a season, what this move did is replace Law, Speedy, Bibby with Crawford, Draftee and 11 million dollars for signing/resigning players. This move makes the hawks better because it keeps us from going backward financially. Now if you choose not to sign Flip, you can now bring back Chillz instead and his cap hold is now ineffective against using that money. This gives us alot of maneuvering flexibility to bring in a big. I would/could expect the hawks to deal Marvin at this point for another 1st round pick. If I were them, I would move Marvin and take someone else's cap problem back in exchange for a mid first round pick. Then you would use the higher pick for a point guard and the number 19 pick for either BJ Muellins, Hansbrough or similar.

This gives you 2 possible lineups.

Crawford Draftee

Johnson Crawford

Smith Johnson

Horford Smith

Draftee Horford

In either case you either have Marvin sliding this rotation or you get a good player like Hansbrough. There are options here and that is something the Hawks haven't had. This trade has now made them players in this draft if they choose to be.

This is a huge coup for Atlanta.

The reason they're happy is because getting rid of Crawford means getting rid of their problem of having two 2 guards on the same team. Monta Ellis and Jamal Crawford in the same lineup will never work out for any team.

No reason for the Hawks to be worried. We are getting a good 2 guard that can compliment Joe Johnson perfectly off the bench. He can probably start for us at the point, but I'd prefer he wouldn't.

lol, they must not know how bad Acie Law is. And Speedy has played 2 games in 2 years.

And also...

Acie Law would be a very good fit for their team. He's not bad at all. Woodson just failed to utilize and develop him properly. He looked shaky in many of the games he played for us but that may not be all his fault.

And for your comment on Speedy Claxton... You must be joking when you actually think that they traded for Speedy hoping they would be able to play him. :computer8:

Edited by Libid21