• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Law & Speedy traded for Jamal Crawford

MemphisX

Hey hot, let me see if I can add some perspective. I spent 4.5 years out of the ATL and got to watch Chicago basketball while gone. I got to see the better 2 years of Crawford in Chicago. Chicago was rebuilding. Crawford shared backcourt duties with Hinrick in 2003-2004. On a very young team, he carried himself professionally and it pained the Bulls to send him to NY. On a team that just didn't have the players to win much, he showed up every day. Put up 17.3 points, 5.1 assists and was a locker room asset on a terrible team. This guy has played in bad luck, he has not been the problem.

He shot a terrible percentage because his game was all about penetrating and drawing a foul. The kind of thing Lebron kills us on. That coupled with a high percentage of 3's and his shooting percentage is low. But his effectiveness is decent. 03-04 is the last time he played substantial point and his numbers were comparable to Bibby's. The difference is he's is 5 inches taller with a total reach difference of 8 inches. This makes shooting over him much different than shooting over Bibby. To play decent defense on the perimeter he just doesn't have to work as hard.

Financially, if Crawford is really Bibby's replacement. What you did is trade away Law and Speedy's money and dropped Bibby's 14 mil a year for Crawford's 9. By drafting a point guard tomorrow and paying him 3 mil a season, what this move did is replace Law, Speedy, Bibby with Crawford, Draftee and 11 million dollars for signing/resigning players. This move makes the hawks better because it keeps us from going backward financially. Now if you choose not to sign Flip, you can now bring back Chillz instead and his cap hold is now ineffective against using that money. This gives us alot of maneuvering flexibility to bring in a big. I would/could expect the hawks to deal Marvin at this point for another 1st round pick. If I were them, I would move Marvin and take someone else's cap problem back in exchange for a mid first round pick. Then you would use the higher pick for a point guard and the number 19 pick for either BJ Muellins, Hansbrough or similar.

This gives you 2 possible lineups.

Crawford Draftee

Johnson Crawford

Smith Johnson

Horford Smith

Draftee Horford

In either case you either have Marvin sliding this rotation or you get a good player like Hansbrough. There are options here and that is something the Hawks haven't had. This trade has now made them players in this draft if they choose to be.

This is a huge coup for Atlanta.

But Crawford still only shoots 40% out of Chicago. If his shooting had got better since his time in Chicago than I would understand. But it hasn't. You say he has just had bad luck. He's had a lot of years to improve on his poor shooting and he still hasn't done it. I'm mostly concerned about his 3pt shots. This team already shoots too many of those and shy's away from the basket area. If they re-sign Bibby you him plus Joe, Marvin, Josh and now Crawford all launching 3's. Can't forget about Evans either. How many 3's is this team going to take next season? How many is enough? Half of this lineup will probably be launching 3's next year. I figure that Flip is gone so I will not count him.

I just think that adding chunkers goes away from the direction that the team should be going in. If the Hawks don't re-sign Bibby this probably makes more sense. But I believe Bibby will be back unless his demands are too high.

I don't watch college basketball so I got nothing to say about that.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I for one like this trade. Crawford is an upgrade for the reasons that Dolfan and AHF make.

Mudder, you obviously haven't seen Mike Bibby play defense. Crawford isn't that awful. But, I understand your the sentiment of your points.

I have thought Crawford was a guy that would fit very well next JJ since we acquired JJ. I actually thought he was an SNT possibility during the Harrington FA summer.

actually Crawford is one of the worst defenders in the NBA. I've seen this guy play many times and he just doesnt give 2 shits about defense. Bibby is a better defender then Crawford IMO because Bibby can at least get some steals..Crawford is athletic enough to be a decent defender so hopefully he will try and play some defense . Dont get it twisted..i am still a fan of this trade for other reasons but Crawford's defense is horrible plain and simple.

JJ's height/strength advantage at the 2 should be exploited as much as possible, IMHO. Besides, Crawford and Marvin will play a good bit of time at the 1 and the 4, respectively.

I do agree with Diesel that this means no Flip. And I have to wonder if that had to do with the lack of Bird rights. This trade now frees up the Hawks to use their MLE on a PG if they miss out on Bibby.

I personally think we are going to draft a big in the first and a PG in the second. I definetly see Bibby as being gone as his "reported" 7mill+ asking price is higher than the 5 and change MLE that we can toss at Session/Jack/Felton. I also agree with Joe staying at the 2, Sund constantly touts not having Horford chasing the Nowitzkis, Jamisons, and Diaws around the perimeter so I doubt he sees our top scorer muscling up against the Lebrons, Grangers and Wallace's of the league. But I feel Marvin and Zaza are the key to what happens in free agency.

• Premium Member
Hawks finished 23rd in rebounding last year and were destroyed in the Cavs series. A Bibby/Crawford/Joe combination would not only leave our backcourt exceptionally vulnerable to any opposing guard with average quickness but would make us even smaller to grab the rebound. I understand that Joe played the opposing team's top perimeter scorer at times, but do we really want to see him play 30 minutes a game against the likes of Granger, Pierce, LeBron & Beasley?

I would rather see Joe playing against Pierce, Granger, Lebron, and Beasley than to see him trying to keep up with Wade, Arenas, West, Westbrook, and Mayo. Joe is 6'7 235-240 lbs. He's practically Artest. He's not going to match up with Ray Allen every night. Most of the twos in this league are guys who can take the ball, put it on the floor and drive to the lane. I believe that playing a series against Wade and then following that up against West is what tired Joe down. He actually looked pretty good the times he was lined up against Lebron. Now, these guys who you mention are big Sfs who are mobile however, only Lebron is a threat to drive the lane all night and Joe can play him.

So there is a chance that we'll draft PG today if a good one falls to us... otherwise I think the Hawks will just take the best player available reguardless of position.

Now, we are going to need at least 1 backup point guard. What PG's are available as free agents this year?

If this guy is so good, how come nobody wants to keep him? How come he's never been apart of a winning team? In his whole career he has NOT help make a team better. He stands on the outside and shoots three's. That's what he does. SA knows what they're doing. They bring in fundamental players that will help their team. What does this team do? Bring in one on one chunkers because the Head coach is a complete moron. Last year jamal shot 40.6%. That's all you really got to say about him.

What's a chunker? Fat chick?

I wonder if we're going to see the Hawks put Teague at PG, Crawford at 2 and move JJ to 3 at times on the court.

At times, certainly. I like how flexible the Hawks lineup is, in that regard. (Oh crap, am I saying something positive about BK's "versatile players who play more than one position" nonsense? Shoot me!)