• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Law & Speedy traded for Jamal Crawford

MemphisX

Once more Crawford at 8 million is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than Acie & Claxton at 8 million. You have to be able to understand that getting SOME production out of that money will make this a better team, right? Plus it opens up another roster spot.

That works in the video game world. It does. But how does Jamal add to the weaknesses of the team? Every game in the chatroom people going on and on about jumpshots. Josh is attacked for it. People complain that Bibby just launches 3's. Crawford does the same thing as these guys. How does this trade help the lack of talent up front? Don't you want to... You know, try and improve on your biggest weaknesses? Jamal doesn't help that.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is this guy a point guard? I thought he was a shooting guard?

No he's not really a PG but he can play PG some and certainly has better ball handling skills than many SGs. Easily good enough that he could play the 1 with Joe at the 2 or the other way around. For some reason I've always seen him as that PG that he was touted to be coming into the draft all those years ago when I had visions of pairing him with JT.

1) does anyone know if Crawford can play defense at the point? becuase that's where we were killed and we just got rid of acie who had that potential. hopefully he's at least better than bibby at the point

2) with the money we're paying him, it's more likely that bibby is gone than murray and we'll draft a point guard

3) i can also see us trading marvin now but thats only if bibby is re-signed or if we get another veteran point guard (sessions)

4) crawford may have not played on winning teams before but he will be perfect for us in the way that flip murray was perfect..ISO players..........which means we will be frustrated with our crappy iso offense but will have another person who can possibly be on fire when the others are not.

5) there goes my hope of trading up in the 2nd round to get douglas...

6) point guard at #19 definitely...unless we bring in a young veteran point like sessions, then we'll go with t-pain or mullens.

I love this deal for us. I live in the bay area and watch Warrior games more than any team other than the Hawks. The guy is not a pg by any means I'm sorry. He can however excel in an uptempo style like he did with Don Nelson in GS.

I think this is probably the end for Marvin. I think the best thing for us is to sign and trade Marv for a big, then maybe pick a pg in the draft tomorrow. Crawford does have handles but also turnovers..overall for what we gave up...Craig and Law, I gotta say I love the deal.

This might be true, I was saying when the playoffs ended they Marvin contract might be too much especially if the Hawks land Amare. Marvin will get a nice offer this off season. I could see him going for 9 million+ and being the 3rd most wanted FA this year.

That works in the video game world. It does. But how does Jamal add to the weaknesses of the team? Every game in the chatroom people going on and on about jumpshots. Josh is attacked for it. People complain that Bibby just launches 3's. Crawford does the same thing as these guys. How does this trade help the lack of talent up front? Don't you want to... You know, try and improve on your biggest weaknesses? Jamal doesn't help that.

He doesn't. He improves the weaknesses of this team by adding a better Flip Murray to the roster. Someone who can create his own shot and help help the scoring when our offense bogs down.

Oh wow I didn't realize this was the end of the offseason and that this was the only move we can make. I guess we won't be worrying about the front court at all. Damn you Sund, damn you!

I think maybe people are expecting a little too much from Crawford.

Jamal is a net negative player - it took Knicks fans a couple seasons to realize it - but he makes your ballclub worse over the length of a season.

He is a terribly inefficient offensive player who is even worse defensively. I wouldn't expect much from him, and I certainly wouldn't want him playing starters minutes.

*Side Note - He currently has the NBA's longest active streak for most seasons without playing in the playoffs.

He is so inconsistent. That my #1 worry on Jamal. Talented, really talented but is as dumb as Flip and can be a chucker. The rich man's Flip Murray.

1) does anyone know if Crawford can play defense at the point? becuase that's where we were killed and we just got rid of acie who had that potential. hopefully he's at least better than bibby at the point

Crawford automatically became the worst defensive player on your team.

4) crawford may have not played on winning teams before but he will be perfect for us in the way that flip murray was perfect..ISO players..........which means we will be frustrated with our crappy iso offense but will have another person who can possibly be on fire when the others are not.

He also has a career fg% of .404

He doesn't. He improves the weaknesses of this team by adding a better Flip Murray to the roster. Someone who can create his own shot and help help the scoring when our offense bogs down.

Oh wow I didn't realize this was the end of the offseason and that this was the only move we can make. I guess we won't be worrying about the front court at all. Damn you Sund, damn you!

What did Flip Murray do in the playoffs when the games really mattered? He'll be going to yet another team for a reason. Jamal shoots at a 40% clip. Lots of players can do that. I haven't seen anything yet that suggests Sund will make the right moves. Haven't seen a thing yet. He just traded away a young player and a experiencing contract. How is he going to get this front court player? Don't you guys get what Bull and Knick fans are telling you?

Edited by Hotlanta1981

I don't like this trade. Crawford is a shoot first pass second PG/SG combo who is now on his fourth team. He gets killed on defense by quick guards. The guy is a chucker, I just don't see how he and JJ are going to coexist as a starter. Unless the plan is to bring Crawford off the bench then I don't see it.

Agreed.

The Hawks didn't give up anything to get Crawford which is good. That said, if for some reason this means no Bibby or Marvin then I think it is an overall downgrade for the team. We will see though, if it is only a more expensive replacement for Flip then fine.

What did Flip Murray do in the playoffs when the games really mattered? He'll be going to yet another team for a reason. Jamal shoots at a 40% clip. Lots of players can do that. I haven't seen anything yet that suggests Sund will make the right moves. Haven't seen a thing yet. He just traded away a young player and a experiencing contract. How is he going to get this front court player? Don't you guys get what Bull and Knick fans are telling you?

Dude - you've made your point loud and clear. You don't like Crawford.

For J. Craw, I will take a wait and see approach. With the roster we have now this is a boneheaded move, but if we get a #1 option scoring Center? This trade might not be so bad. I would like him as a 6th man and bring Childress back to start at SG and JJ moves to SF. Marvin is all but gone, I love Marvin. I like his potential but if we get a #1 scoring option Center, then there's no room for Marvin cap wise.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

10000% we take a PG in the first round even if Crawford is the Sixth man off the bench we just traded both our point guards and Bibby is going to walk. Say we get a Lawson in the 1st round it would be.

Lawson

Joe

Marvin (if we resign him)

Smoove

Horford

Even if we take Lawson, he's nowhere ready to start next season. He's two years away from making an impact. Bibby is here to stay for now.

• Moderators

I am crossing my fingers and optimistic on this one for two reasons:

(1) This is not a trade for our staring PG, IMO. This is paying someone to upgrade on Flip's performance less than it would cost us to have Speedy, Law and Flip signed for next year. So this saves us money and upgrades our combo guard off the bench. Now that we don't have to resign Flip, we have more money to spend on Bibby, Marvin, Chillz, DA, etc.

(2) Crawford has a poor FG% but his TS% isn't quite as bad which is a sign that his inefficiency at a scorer may be somewhat overstated. Last season, for example, he had a TS% of .545, higher than Mike Bibby, Flip Murray, Joe Johnson and Josh Smith.

He was also significantly more efficient as a scorer (as seen in TS%) than Derrick Rose and Luol Deng, for example.

Edited by AHF

Even if we take Lawson, he's nowhere ready to start next season. He's two years away from making an impact. Bibby is here to stay for now.

I dont see the Hawks spending big money on bibby then trying to resign Marvin with Crawfords contracts now on the books. Bibby or Marvin one of them wont be back or maybe even both. We will take Lawson , Teague, or Maynor in the 1st round. Even if hes not ready he will have to get rdy soon.

Not too excited about this deal because of length and cost of contract. Was hoping to trade expirings for big man help not a literal rich mans Flip/slightly rich mans Flip talent wise. Thinking there would be more MW offers or proposals.

I'm still thinking that Derrick Brown is the sleeper pick.

I am crossing my fingers and optimistic on this one for two reasons:

(1) This is not a trade for our staring PG, IMO. This is paying someone to upgrade on Flip's performance less than it would cost us to have Speedy, Law and Flip signed for next year. So this saves us money and upgrades our combo guard off the bench. Now that we don't have to resign Flip, we have more money to spend on Bibby, Marvin, Chillz, DA, etc.

(2) Crawford has a poor FG% but his TS% isn't quite as bad which is a sign that his inefficiency at a scorer may be somewhat overstated. Last season, for example, he had a TS% of .545, higher than Mike Bibby, Flip Murray, Joe Johnson and Josh Smith.

He was also significantly more efficient as a scorer (as seen in TS%) than Derrick Rose and Luol Deng, for example.

Well said as usual AHF. I agree on all of your points.