• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Law & Speedy traded for Jamal Crawford

MemphisX

I think Crawford is a Flip Murray replacement, not a starting PG. The Hawks were going to pay that money for Acie and Speedy to sit the bench, so I don't mind at all. Plus Crawford becomes a nice expiring contract during the next offseason.

I hope the Hawks play hardball with Bibby, take a PG in the draft, then get a big man in FA.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin

I am not sure how I feel about the trade yet.

I like Crawford's explosivness. He brings another weapon on offense to guard. Freeing up Joe a little more.

However his shot selection is some of the worst in the NBA. I watched Knick games where I was happy he was not on our team. His defense is not very good but it is better then Bibby's.

I hope he is not brought here to be our PG. He is not suited for that role. It should either mean Joe is moving to SF or hopefully that Jamal is that weapon off the bench that teams will have to fear.

That being said I am happy to see the team willing to make moves to try to improve rather then just try to save money. Its shows that ownership has told Sund go ahead and make this team competitive. We are on the edge of being a contender with the right moves.

I hope we do take a PG tomorrow as I still hope we resign Bibby. I think this does spell the end of Flip in an Atlanta Uni.

I think we did give up a big trade chip in Speedy. I think a lot of teams would be willing to give up something of value for his 6 million insured contract. Law had potential but I never seen anything from him. Good luck Acie, I think you will be better in GS and your stats will definitely be bloated in that system.

Edited by capstone21

ESPN has the hawks taking Lawson so hopefully he can be the backup PG. If Marvin leaves or we do a sign and trade, Our starting lineup could be Bibby, Crawford, Johnson, Smith, Horford. So we'll see what happens but right now Im remaining neutral on this trade

Welcome to Hawksquawk!

Actually they now have us taking Brandon Jennings which would be a major coup IMO

Analysis: I just don't know where to put Jennings right now. If the Knicks pass on him at No. 8 and the Bucks pass at No. 10, he could be in for a draft-day slide.

The Hawks need a point guard of the future, and Jennings would be a terrific pick here, much like grabbing Josh Smith at No. 17 five years ago.

I am crossing my fingers and optimistic on this one for two reasons:

(1) This is not a trade for our staring PG, IMO. This is paying someone to upgrade on Flip's performance less than it would cost us to have Speedy, Law and Flip signed for next year. So this saves us money and upgrades our combo guard off the bench. Now that we don't have to resign Flip, we have more money to spend on Bibby, Marvin, Chillz, DA, etc.

(2) Crawford has a poor FG% but his TS% isn't quite as bad which is a sign that his inefficiency at a scorer may be somewhat overstated. Last season, for example, he had a TS% of .545, higher than Mike Bibby, Flip Murray, Joe Johnson and Josh Smith.

He was also significantly more efficient as a scorer (as seen in TS%) than Derrick Rose and Luol Deng, for example.

And look at his teammates, too. We have a better team than any he's ever been on. *My* big concern is that he will cause a problem if he doesn't accept a sixth-man type role. Good point on the finances!

(1) This is not a trade for our staring PG, IMO. This is paying someone to upgrade on Flip's performance less than it would cost us to have Speedy, Law and Flip signed for next year. So this saves us money and upgrades our combo guard off the bench. Now that we don't have to resign Flip, we have more money to spend on Bibby, Marvin, Chillz, DA, etc.

(2) Crawford has a poor FG% but his TS% isn't quite as bad which is a sign that his inefficiency at a scorer may be somewhat overstated. Last season, for example, he had a TS% of .545, higher than Mike Bibby, Flip Murray, Joe Johnson and Josh Smith.

He was also significantly more efficient as a scorer (as seen in TS%) than Derrick Rose and Luol Deng, for example.

^^^^^Cosign....

With Crawford as the starting PG, does Chillz fit in to this team better than Marv?

Wow this sure came out of left field. Even though Crawford is a bit of a chucker he does have a lot of talent. Certainly he will contribute more than Acie and Speedy did so i say good deal.

Now we officially have no point guards under contract for next season.

Welcome to Hawksquawk!

Actually they now have us taking Brandon Jennings which would be a major coup IMO

That's a serious dream pick, if we get Jennings, that could be like getting Josh Smith in 2004. Value wise but so is Lawson.

Wow this sure came out of left field. Even though Crawford is a bit of a chucker he does have a lot of talent. Certainly he will contribute more than Acie and Speedy did so i say good deal.

Not to worry, Bibby will be back.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

Let's bring back Emanual Davis, Dan Dickau and Matt Maloney and have them duke it out.

I for one like this trade. Crawford is an upgrade for the reasons that Dolfan and AHF make.

Mudder, you obviously haven't seen Mike Bibby play defense. Crawford isn't that awful. But, I understand your the sentiment of your points.

I have thought Crawford was a guy that would fit very well next JJ since we acquired JJ. I actually thought he was an SNT possibility during the Harrington FA summer.

Warriors fan here. Quick rundown of what Crawford is and isn't:

He is not a PG. He's barely a combo guard. He calls his own number too much and does not push the tempo (which is a shame considering his excellent handles.)

He is a scorer but only because he is streakier than an old folk's home diaper and he takes a LOT of shots.

His height, while it looks good on paper, does nothing as he does nothing well that height would normally assist with (rebounding, D.)

He cannot guard PGs.

He cannot guard SGs.

He cannot guard Stephen Hawking.

He's a good guy. A solid team citizen. His ball handling will draw oooos and ahhhhhs. He draws fouls on jumpshots extremely well (resulting in an unusual amount of 4 pt plays,) while committing very few fouls himself (though you DO have to be within arm reach of your man to commit a foul. . .)

Do not pair him with another guard who cannot defend. Your bigs will end up exhausted or they will foul out due to more penetration than a Paris Hilton weekend jaunt.

Ideally he'd be a 6th man where his D won't hurt as much and his ability to light it up would strengthen a 2nd unit.

We had Speedy before, but if anyone would like to come by WarriorsWorld.net to tell us why Law has been so disappointing, we'd love to see it.

That's a serious dream pick, if we get Jennings, that could be like getting Josh Smith in 2004. Value wise but so is Lawson.

Not to worry, Bibby will be back.

Bibby is done. What the playoffs show is that he is a liability defensively and pretty much lost playing time to Flip in the playoffs.

Bibby is done. What the playoffs show is that he is a liability defensively and pretty much lost playing time to Flip in the playoffs.

He wasn't that bad in the playoffs on defense, the overall post defense was worst than anything else v. the Cavs. He was a star for us in the Miami series. The second sentence isn't accurate.

He wasn't that bad in the playoffs on defense, the overall post defense was worst than anything else v. the Cavs. He was a star for us in the Miami series. The second sentence isn't accurate.

Flip was always in in the 4th qtr. Even during the season. Flip was probably the most responsible for us getting out of the first round.

• Admin

Jennings is interesting and him falling to us is a big fall from his earlier projections but from what I read he has struggled over in Europe.

I feel more comfortable with Lawson, Teague or Maynor. Guys who have proven themselves in college.

I was going to post something but you've already said it... so I'll just say, AWESOME!!! WOOHOOO!!!

:beer: