• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Law & Speedy traded for Jamal Crawford

MemphisX

• Moderators
I was going to post something but you've already said it... so I'll just say, AWESOME!!! WOOHOOO!!!

:beer:

This does clearly add salary for the second year of Crawford's deal but I am hoping that this works out for the best. Notably, we won't have to resign Horford until Crawford's deal is gone.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quick chime in:

I like it. IF he is on our bench. In fact, if this is the case, I like it a lot. He's a way better Flip Murray. Murray can get hot, but he won't score 50 like Crawford did. Still his selfish, chucking play worries me. Still, I think a team of the following is not bad start in the back court. Flip walks at this point I think...

Draft tomorrow? I'm a big Lawson guy, it's who I'm rooting for tomorrow. But Maynor could work. And I'm one of those that thinks Patty Mills is going to be huge for whomever he ends up falling to. Teague scares me for some reason.

Marvin HAS to be re-signed. Unless there is a stud deal waiting to happen for a big man, I want Marvin on this team.

Zaza is another I think we HAVE to bring back. His size (and what he does) is too hard to replace.

What we do about shoring up that other big man we need, I don't know. A S&T Chillz would be nice. Maybe Anderson, dunno.

But this team, is something I'm starting to like so far:

Bibby/Lawson

Johnson/Crawford

Marvin/Evans

Smith/???

Horford/Zaza

With Crawford, I bet we do end up seeing more

Deal's not done supposedly. Everyone's arch nemesis is standing in the way

A source with knowledge of the Hawks situation told ESPN.com, however, that deal is being held up because Atlanta coach Mike Woodson isn't sold on the trade and because Crawford has an early termination clause in his contract.

Edited by gsuteke

• Premium Member
No he's not really a PG but he can play PG some and certainly has better ball handling skills than many SGs. Easily good enough that he could play the 1 with Joe at the 2 or the other way around. For some reason I've always seen him as that PG that he was touted to be coming into the draft all those years ago when I had visions of pairing him with JT.

Crawford cannot play PG. We can go ahead and cancel that out. Sure he has handles, but he CAN'T play PG. It's pretty much the same as if we started Flip at PG. It won't work.

I hope we draft a PG now because otherwise we won't have one on the roster and we're doomed for next season. This trade makes us an even more inconsistent team than we already were, so we can go ahead and get ready for some great wins and terrible losses. Crawford is EXTREMELY inconsistent.

However, since we didn't play Acie or Speedy anyway it's tough to hate on the trade. But, we MUST acquire a PG somehow. And we still need a big. Surprise, we haven't satisfied any of our needs and we've committed more salary.

Jennings is interesting and him falling to us is a big fall from his earlier projections but from what I read he has struggled over in Europe.

I feel more comfortable with Lawson, Teague or Maynor. Guys who have proven themselves in college.

We just traded Maynor for Crawford; Teague is another combo guard (But he reminds me of Steve Francis in Maryland so not a bad choice), and Jennings has so much more potential than Lawson.

A source with knowledge of the Hawks situation told ESPN.com, however, that deal is being held up because Atlanta coach Mike Woodson isn't sold on the trade and because Crawford has an early termination clause in his contract.

Maybe I was wrong about Woody in this case.

:computer8: Leave it to Woody. If he plans to play Acie 20+ minutes than fine. If not let Woody go if he hates this trade so much.

This was a very good deal for us. We are certainly getting more bang for the buck with Crawford. But the question is, will he be a starter or a bench player? He has shown that he can play PG in New York, but he was still a chucker who didn't wow too many New Yorkers with his inability to distribute the ball. Crawford is definitely a very good scorer and should help this team take a step forward. But like I said, he's playing out of position if he's playing the PG spot.

So right now our roster looks like this (without any re-signings):

PG:

SG: Joe Johnson, Jamal Crawford, Maurice Evans

SF:

PF: Josh Smith, Al Horford (I consider him a PF, sorry)

C: Randolph Morris

Im loving this trade if it goes through. I wonder whats going to happen with bibby now! We will probably be drafting a point tomorrow and that would probably mean we wont resign bibby.......................well i have no problem with that i like crawford and i do think he can fit in woodys offense system a little better than bibby, plus he can drive and get to the free throw line and his assist are the same not only that he's 6'5 thats pretty damn tall for a pg! Im lovin this trade. Hawks make it happen.

Crawford cannot play PG. We can go ahead and cancel that out. Sure he has handles, but he CAN'T play PG. It's pretty much the same as if we started Flip at PG. It won't work.

I hope we draft a PG now because otherwise we won't have one on the roster and we're doomed for next season. This trade makes us an even more inconsistent team than we already were, so we can go ahead and get ready for some great wins and terrible losses. Crawford is EXTREMELY inconsistent.

However, since we didn't play Acie or Speedy anyway it's tough to hate on the trade. But, we MUST acquire a PG somehow. And we still need a big. Surprise, we haven't satisfied any of our needs and we've committed more salary.

He averaged 5 assists last year with the Knicks. Bibby averaged 5 assists this year. It would be like starting a faster taller Bibby than can penetrate and is a better scorer.

I don't know where these Flip comparisons are coming from Jamal plays nothing Flip.

I also do not expect Crawford to be able to defend the point guards in the East (Rondo, Nelson?) He can barely keep up with the 2's in the league, I expect him to be a defender like Bibby - scores just about the same amount of points that he gives up on D.

• Moderators
I don't know where these Flip comparisons are coming from Jamal plays nothing Flip.

The Flip comparisons are coming because both guys are combo guards who are clearly not creators but are good isolation scorers. Neither are particularly good defenders and both don't have much in the way of shot selection. I don't think they are the same player but I think they can play the same role on a team like the Hawks - primary scorer off the bench.

Just because Crawford is like Bibby doesn't mean jack s***. Crawford is not a starting PG in this league. I want to see an upgrade in defense and ball movement at the point guard position, and Crawford will not be giving us that if he starts. Like I said in the other thread, Crawford is the perfect player to come in for Joe Johnson off the bench.

Whats the problem with saying Crawford is not a PG when half of our threads have discussed picking up combo guards like Teague or Curry to play with Joe? The dynamic stays the same, Joe is still a ball handling 2guard and now he's paired next to another ball handling 2guard that also has the ability to penetrate at will.

Flip Murray isn't going to help this team reach the finals and neither will Jamal Crawford. This team needs big men help. Chunkers are a dime a dozen. We should also note that Flip was playing for a contract this past season. Where was Flip in the playoffs? YOu're trying to win in the playoffs. Flip didn't help there. This team needs big men help in the worst way.

now Hotlanta..who the hell said this trade will make us go to the finals?? the offseason just began..we have time to get a big..wtf is wrong with u?? lol

• Premium Member
He averaged 5 assists last year with the Knicks. Bibby averaged 5 assists this year. It would be like starting a faster taller Bibby than can penetrate and is a better scorer.

Crawford averaged 4.4 assists, not 5. Bibby averaged 5 in a MUCH SLOWER paced offense.

Crawford's A/TO ratio was 1.8/1 while Bibby's was 3.1/1. HUGE difference, and we don't even consider Bibby a true point guard.

He can't start at PG or we're screwed. I think he's an upgrade from Flip as a backup, but we definitely need a PG from somewhere.

Edited by AtLaS

now Hotlanta..who the hell said this trade will make us go to the finals?? the offseason just began..we have time to get a big..wtf is wrong with u?? lol

They just traded in some of the way to get a big. Sund strikes me as a guy that doesn't want to make a lot of moves in the offseason. This could be it for the off season and next year it will be the same team with the same weaknesses.

• Premium Member
Whats the problem with saying Crawford is not a PG when half of our threads have discussed picking up combo guards like Teague or Curry to play with Joe? The dynamic stays the same, Joe is still a ball handling 2guard and now he's paired next to another ball handling 2guard that also has the ability to penetrate at will.

Good point.

• Premium Member
Crawford averaged 4.4 assists, not 5. Bibby averaged 5 in a MUCH SLOWER paced offense.

Crawford's A/TO ratio was 1.8/1 while Bibby's was 3.1/1. HUGE difference, and we don't even consider Bibby a true point guard.

He can't start at PG or we're screwed. I think he's an upgrade from Flip as a backup, but we definitely need a PG from somewhere.

Now I have to agree with this. I think many here are seriously underestimating or just plain ignoring Bibby's playmaking skills. I like Crawford, but he is not the same type of player Bibby is as far as running a team.