• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Poll: What are your thoughts on this trade?

Admin

What are your thoughts on this trade?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Assume that this trade doesn't have any effect on our others players being re-signed or not re-signed. The plan for the off-season was the same as before the trade as it is after. Now considering that what are your thoughts on this trade?

Yes

Maybe (as a 6th man, yes)

No

Assume that this trade doesn't have any effect on our others players being re-signed or not re-signed. The plan for the off-season was the same as before the trade as it is after. Now considering that what are your thoughts on this trade?

The trade hinges on those assumptions (i.e., will the Hawks retain Bibby and Marvin) so it is impossible say without knowing what happens in free agency. If Crawford is an addition to last years starting line-up (meaning Bibby and Marvin are retained) then it is a good trade as he will only be a reserve scorer. If bringing Crawford in means the Hawks can't sing Bibby or Marvin then it is a bad trade as both are superior players.

Just my opinion though.

• Moderators
The trade hinges on those assumptions (i.e., will the Hawks retain Bibby and Marvin) so it is impossible say without knowing what happens in free agency. If Crawford is an addition to last years starting line-up (meaning Bibby and Marvin are retained) then it is a good trade as he will only be a reserve scorer. If bringing Crawford in means the Hawks can't sing Bibby or Marvin then it is a bad trade as both are superior players.

Just my opinion though.

Speedy + Law + Flip = More money than we pay Crawford

This trade makes it easier to resign Bibby and Marvin.

Let's hope so. They also desparately need a back-up big man so we will see.

If Crawford is playing 38 minutes a game next season though then this trade is a stinker.

This statement makes me feel really good about the trade. Thanks for pointing that out!

We also have to resign Zaza and figure out what to do with Chills (and we still need another big).

Yep, and this trade gives us a little more flexibility to do just that!

• Moderators

In fairness, this trade frees up money for the upcoming 2009-10 season but the last year of Crawford's contract is a cool $10M which is fairly significant. Fortunately, it is only a two year deal at this point.

In fairness, this trade frees up money for the upcoming 2009-10 season but the last year of Crawford's contract is a cool $10M which is fairly significant. Fortunately, it is only a two year deal at this point.

I guess they could trade him after the season since he will have an expiring contract - if they need the extra coin to resign JJ and Al.

Considering team's penchant for expiring deals coupled with the financial problems some teams are having I really think Atlanta could have gotten more for Speedy's contract. Not only is his deal coming off the books, 5 million of it is covered by insurance.

A team could have saved 5 million dollars out of pocket by making a deal for Speedy's contract. If we're questioning whether or not this was a good deal for the Hawks it isn't a good deal for the Hawks IMO.

For an expiring deal and to save 5 million in real cash this trade should have been a slam dunk for the Hawks.

• Moderators
Considering team's penchant for expiring deals coupled with the financial problems some teams are having I really think Atlanta could have gotten more for Speedy's contract. Not only is his deal coming off the books, 5 million of it is covered by insurance.

A team could have saved 5 million dollars out of pocket by making a deal for Speedy's contract. If we're questioning whether or not this was a good deal for the Hawks it isn't a good deal for the Hawks IMO.

For an expiring deal and to save 5 million in real cash this trade should have been a slam dunk for the Hawks.

I am not sure whether Speedy's insurance will cover this or not. I haven't seen anything clear on it. If I were the insurance agent, I would deny any coverage after Speedy played again last season.

Yes, I approve of this trade. It gives us more bang for the buck, and why not do this trade? It doesn't seem like Woodson will ever play Acie Law anyways and Speedy's just a waste of a roster spot.

Yes, this makes the Hawks better. Certainly.

No, Crawford should not be a starter. He's the perfect player to come off the bench for Joe Johnson. He is not a starting PG in this league.

Edited by Libid21

• Premium Member
I am not sure whether Speedy's insurance will cover this or not. I haven't seen anything clear on it. If I were the insurance agent, I would deny any coverage after Speedy played again last season.

This is what I've been saying for a while. I don't know why everyone here thinks insurance will cover Speedy considering he is obviously cleared to play, and did play last season.

• Premium Member
Its Speedy. How many times has he been cleared to play, played, and then went back to being injured and covered by insurance? I can think of 2 occasions on the Hawks.

But seriously, Speedy probably isn't currently covered by insurance due to him playing at the end of the year and him insisting that he can play.

I agree that if he received consistent PT that he'd hurt himself and eventually get covered by insurance. But, I doubt GS is planning on playing him. Meaning at this point they'd probably have to pay his salary.

I love this trade crawford will make us better and unlike others I do think he should start especially if bibby is not coming back! To me he is going to fit our system better than bibby though he isnt a real or true pg. He's going to fit because woodson doesnt even know how to play a true pg and all woody do is iso and i think crawford's iso is much better than bibby's. Bibby is a pick and roll pg, he doesnt do the iso thing as well, but crawford can take his man to the goal and get to the free throw line. Crawford can even hit the 3 like bibby. On top of that he's a 6'5 pg thats even better. Good pickup and were even stronger now cause our backcourt has size and will score better.

• Premium Member

Crawford is one of the half-dozen or so players I've targeted at one point or another over the last month, mainly b/c it was obvious that whoever obtained him would be getting a pretty good deal given how Nellie had been so public in his disregard for him.

I complement Sund for swooping in and grabbing him, though the reason I'd backed off of my original enthusiasm was this gut feeling that, if we obtained him, his defensive reputation (ie, lack-thereof) would limit his minutes and be a continual soap opera with Woody.

One more thing... I'm a little surprised about this development in light of Sund's praise of Flip in the interview the other day... something along the lines of "he's a journeyman who has found a home."

Maybe not.

Wouldnt Murray give us what Crawford would give us for alot cheaper? Didnt we just trade for a bad contract? I mean nobody ever wants this guy Crawford.

Edited by NJHAWK