• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Poll: What are your thoughts on this trade?

Admin

What are your thoughts on this trade?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i have to say that i like this trade (so long as jamal isn't a starter and we retain marvin).

crawford + (insert player here) + (insert player here) > speedy + flip + acie. crawford should bring more to the court than the speedy, flip, and acie did combined last year, so the real value will be shown when we fill the other two roster spots (assuming flip leaves of course). if we add two worthless vets and the combined salaries are greater then what left, then the trade won't be so great, but if sund fills the other two roster spots with servicable to productive players on the cheap (lucky draft pick perhaps?) then the trade will have been a success.

the one thing that is guarenteed, though, is that mid way through the season everyone will have forgotten about how great the trade seemed now and will be bitching about crawfords inconsistancies and bad habits and will be running off numerous trade scenerios daily figuring how to get rid of him. as much as we like this trade now, once the playing begins, we won't like his play if he's given major minutes. i still think the trade was for the best, but i know that he will still be frustrating to watch.

one thing that might make a very big difference in terms of payroll is whether or not us not having to sign murray frees up more of our MLE. if so, this would go along way towards resigning zaza (i don't think we have his bird rights so we would have to use our MLE to sign him. ) in that case we would be saving 2.5 million out of a possible 5-6 million that we could put towards keeping zaza.

This trade makes two things clear.

1. Jamal Crawford is the starting point guard

2. Mike Bibby is not coming back

What really hurts is losing Bibbys leadership, the real reason this team had some success.

There is no question wether Crawford can score. The question will be if he can fill the leadership pg role that this team needs to win.

This team should be a very athletic run and gun team that lights up the scoreboard, every night.

• Premium Member
This trade makes two things clear.

1. Jamal Crawford is the starting point guard

2. Mike Bibby is not coming back

What really hurts is losing Bibbys leadership, the real reason this team had some success.

There is no question wether Crawford can score. The question will be if he can fill the leadership pg role that this team needs to win.

This team should be a very athletic run and gun team that lights up the scoreboard, every night.

I'm not sure that's necessarily the case, but it would appear to, at least, seriously limit what Sund will offer Bibby.

I could imagine Sund pursuing Sessions now in a big way to become the PG of the next 5 years, except it remains to be seen how much more room MIL might be able to clear in their quest to keep Sessions and Villaneueva.

Maybe he wants to create an offense like Orlando and have a bevy of outside shooters?

Yeah, that's the ticket. We're just missing one thing...the NBA's best post presence. Also, contrary to what seems to be the prevailing opinion on this board, Crawford can't really shoot.

starting crawford doesn't mean a)can't resign bibby and b)crawford a starting point guard. i always thing jj is a better 3 than a 2 and with crawford, we a)bibby can't lowball us because we have at least a combo guard b)lower jj minutes and c)if jj leaves next year at least we have something. this trade is all about flexibility

• Premium Member

If you really think that Crawford should come off the bench, then we should have traded Speedy for an exemption and a late first rounder and signed Flip.

Crawford is more than Flip. This guy is a possible 19 ppg scorer. He's not a bench player.

He's not coming here to make up for the loss of Flip. If we wanted Flip, we could have and we can still sign flip for much cheaper than we're paying Crawford. Crawford is starting material.

In fact, he has been a starter since 2003. It's mighty arrogant of us to get this great deal and start to think that just because we got him for bench players that he's a bench player. This guy is a starter.

As a single move, I like this trade!

Let's face it, we traded Acie, who was never going to get a chance anyway, and Speedy, who didn't play and wasn't going to play, for an established player who (if properly used) can help Hawks right-away! I hope Crawford will be used off the bench to help our second unit offensively and our scoring overall...

However, this move opens some difficult issues... What's next?

Are we gonna resign Marvin? One of the two (Bibby & Flip) must go...

Like I said, it's early to judge this move! If we resign Marvin and Bibby for reasonable money, this is going to be a great move! But if this was done in order to minimize the damage of maybe losing all those pieces (Marvin, Bibby, Flip, Zaza)... then I would certainly become critical of this trade...

Anyhow, we have to be patient and believe that Sund knows what he's doin'! So far he gave us no reason not to trust his judgement and sense of good direction...

I think Crawford will make a perfect 6th man (35 minutes a game like Chill used to get).

Not sure why some people are negative about this deal. Crawford is a quality NBA player, and to get him, we only had to give up 2 guys that werent really in our regular playing rotation.

We get another scorer/shooter.

i have to say that i like this trade (so long as jamal isn't a starter and we retain marvin).

My thoughts too.

I like Crawford playing the the 6th man/ Flip Murray role where he gets a few PG minutes and few SG minutes. Hopefully he wil get a few more minutes at SG then Flip did so that JJ can get more rest. He is good guy for instant offense off the bench.

As long Marvin is brought back I like this deal alot.

If he is virtually Marvin's replacement and starts for the Hawks I would not be happy with the move.

My thoughts too.

I like Crawford playing the the 6th man/ Flip Murray role where he gets a few PG minutes and few SG minutes. Hopefully he wil get a few more minutes at SG then Flip did so that JJ can get more rest. He is good guy for instant offense off the bench.

As long Marvin is brought back I like this deal alot.

If he is virtually Marvin's replacement and starts for the Hawks I would not be happy with the move.

As said elsewhere, I am almost positive that Sund envisions Crawford in the 6th man/Flip Murray role. Crawford still gets his 30-35 minutes and can "do him" (high potent offense, which will be made easier with a Joe Johnson around).

• Moderators

I don't understand why you guys think we're not signing Flip. Its Bibby who's gone. Sund pratically gushes anytime someone mentions Flip and we've seen references to the fact that Flip isn't this highly regarded by other GMs.

Crawford is the starting PG now. Flip keeps his same role. Bibby is gone. Everything else will stay the same provided we can re sign Zaza which I think we intend to do. But if Zaza leaves we have to get a backup center.

one thing that might make a very big difference in terms of payroll is whether or not us not having to sign murray frees up more of our MLE. if so, this would go along way towards resigning zaza (i don't think we have his bird rights so we would have to use our MLE to sign him. ) in that case we would be saving 2.5 million out of a possible 5-6 million that we could put towards keeping zaza.

That is a key issue that i think people are missing. The only way we can resign Flip is by using the MLE. We have no Bird Rights on Flip.

FYI we don't need the MLE to resign Zaza since we have his Bird Rights.

Edited by exodus

Yeah, that's the ticket. We're just missing one thing...the NBA's best post presence. Also, contrary to what seems to be the prevailing opinion on this board, Crawford can't really shoot.

On the season his outside shooting was comparable to Marvin's in spite of his well known problems with shot selection.

http://www.82games.com/0809/FGSORT7.HTM

Apparently where Crawford struggles is trying to finish inside.

I like it simply because we gave up nothing. I always wanted to see Speedy go far, far away, and Oaktown is far enough. Acie, eehh. Hopefully he can find his way under an offensive guru.

I could never fully co-sign a career .404 shooter. I just can't. He's probably best served going heavy on the tre at damn near .350. I thought his TO's would be above 2.30, but it's 2.13, nice. But what's not shown in his numbers is his ability to aggressively make a play to get open, recieve, and create comfortable operating room, shoot the last shot of the game with the same form and confidence as his first, and rip it. Craw has 4-40 point drops (anybody know how many Joe has?), and 1 Fiddy, a skill that separates the real scorers from the fakes (Mike James notwithstanding). But what of Flipper?(My Dude), a guy with similar skills to Crawford, but in my opinion, a considerably better player due to size, defensive ability, shooting percentage and selection, etc. I would never front like I know Crawford's game: the Knicks have as many prime time games as we do. But I've seen his play-making ability for others, if he seems interested to do so that particular night. If his shot is falling, he's more inclined to play an all around game: he's often the center of nice runs. But if he's off, he's pretty much useless, if not counter-productive. Not to mention he's going to be on the trainer's table more than anyone would like. If we have to get rid of Flip in order to make a spot for him, I hate the move. But most importantly, he's never been a winner, or play for a winner anyway. The difference between this acquisition and the two last year was Flip and Mo didn't have to learn to win. They had considrable playoff experience. Crawford is not built to play 75 games in the regular season, let alone 10 more at increased intensity. I don't know where we're going, adding two skinny scorers and defensive liabilities in 24 hours, when our coach doesn't know how to run an offense, but specializes in defense. I'll give Sund credit for spicing it up, though. Clearly he felt we didn't score and run enough. I'll hold out for that impact big man and word on our agents. There is still a ways to go. I hope our great city will be a factor in retaining Marvin, Bibby, Flip, and Zaza at reasonable prices in this economy. If we can keep everybody, we still won't come close to a championship, but we'll be running and gunning and scoring more if Teague can play his game off the bench.

Let's go Hawks.