• Raised $440 of $700 target

Robert Swift is out there....

Diesel

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Diesel on this. I'd much rather take a shot at Swift late blooming on a minimum contract than have an easily replaceable wing like Gardner on the end of our bench. Swift has shown some flashes in the past and his age is definitely a plus.

i agree too.The fact that he's 23 just adds to it.There definitely wont be a risk at all

• Premium Member

It just occurred to me that Diesel titled this thread with a great double-meaning...

indeed... Robert Swift IS out there.

Oh, and btw, that's the oft-injured Robert Swift. I, for one, would be very reticent to pay for anyone who I had good reason to believe wouldn't make it through 40 games.

There's no risk, but what's the potential reward??? The guy can't stay on the court.

Neither could Big Z or Nene. That doesn't mean they wouldn't be worth a shot.

The only ways to get a quality big man are;

1) the draft

2) overpaying a free agent

3) trade

4) taking a risk on a guy with issues.

Options 1 and 2 aren't available. We can't offer more than the MLE to anyone and the draft is over. We would have to give up an important piece to get a quality big in a trade most likely.

Dallas took a risk on Diop who hadn't played in years and it paid off. Portland took a risk on Prz who was a bust. We can either take a risk on someone or just continue to play with an undersized front line.

Edited by exodus

I think its worth the risk. The few times I've seen Swift play, he's been pretty good actually. Really goes after rebounds (and lord knows we need someone like that). Big men take more time to develop than any other position, so Swift may still get somewhat better.

LOL. Nene and Z actually showed signs of being good before getting injured.

(Diop was never that good, and Pryz got major minutes).

But if they can't stay on the court it doesn't matter if they have shown signs or not? Your gripe about Swift was that he can't stay on the court. Are you trying to change that now?

Prz had 3 seasons playing less than 20 games on his rookie contract so i don't get the major minutes comment.

• Premium Member
But if they can't stay on the court it doesn't matter if they have shown signs or not? Your gripe about Swift was that he can't stay on the court. Are you trying to change that now?

Prz had 3 seasons playing less than 20 games on his rookie contract so i don't get the major minutes comment.

And averaged nearly 4 blocks/36. Like I said, he actually showed something positive on the court before he was signed.

Swift has shown absolutely nothing when healthy. Nothing.

There's a difference between a project and a scrub.

Swift intrigues me too. I would prefer a veteran but if we can't get McDyess or the likes, we should definitely take a look at Swift if the price is right. We don't need a starter up front but we definitely need someone on the bench that can provide size to go with good D, rebounds, and blocked shots.

Didn't Sund draft him too? That could come into play as it did when Sund brought a familiar face back last year in Flip at a bargain price.

And averaged nearly 4 blocks/36. Like I said, he actually showed something positive on the court before he was signed.

Swift has shown absolutely nothing when healthy. Nothing.

There's a difference between a project and a scrub.

So in other words you are changing your argument. Your problem with Swift isn't that he cant stay on the court it is that he hasn't shown anything when healthy.

There are several posters here including myself that have seen him play that would argue otherwise. I think Swifts career per 36 numbers of 9 rebounds and 2 blocks would qualify as more than nothing.

• Moderators

Here is a stretch of play that I find interesting on swift back from 2005-06:

15 points, 7 rebounds, 1 block

6 points, 12 rebounds, 2 blocks

6 points, 6 rebounds, 1 block

14 points, 12 rebounds, 2 blocks (+2 steals)

9 points, 7 rebounds, 1 block

10 points, 9 rebounds, 1 block

6 points, 7 rebounds, 3 blocks

12 points, 9 rebounds, 3 blocks

0 points, 4 rebounds, 0 blocks

8 points, 5 rebounds, 1 block

6 points, 13 rebounds, 3 blocks

8 points, 6 rebounds, 3 blocks

6 points, 8 rebounds, 3 blocks

14 points, 7 rebounds, 3 blocks

4 points, 6 rebounds, 3 blocks

4 points, 9 rebounds, 1 block

6 points, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks

etc.

He had other more productive games like 17 points, 11 boards, 4 blocks as well. The guy has flashed enough potential as a young 7 footer that I would fill out the bottom of my bench with him for sure. Finding a 7 footer who can play on our budget without a big trade or taking on a significant risk is impossible, IMO. A league minimum salary and your 13th spot on the roster isn't a big risk.

• Premium Member
Big men take more time to develop than any other position, so Swift may still get somewhat better.

I think this is the key to it all. A big takes more time to develop. I think it was foolish to draft Swift and not have some big to help mentor him day by day. If we were to get him, we have to realize that he's very young but has size and potential.

Now, let's be real.

He's had a torn ACL.

He's had a torn Meniscus.

He's had a broken hand.

These are the reasons that he has played few games. These are the reasons that he will be so cheap.

If Sund feels that basketball is still in him, then for 1 Million, I say give him a try. If he fails, then we've wasted 1 million dollars that could have went to a bench player.

IF he does a moderate Job, then we have made our bench deeper and have a usable true 7 footer and a 3rd string C.

But what if he challenges for the BU C position? What if we look up and he's handling Shaq and making Howard play hard? If we get all this for 1 million dollars then we have a real steal. That is something that we don't get much in Atlanta. Of all the guys you guys have mentioned: Anthony and these others... Swift has more potential.

Exodus is right. Mutombo is not walking through that door. IF we want a 7 footer, we have to take our chances. We took a chance with Morris and to date, Morris hasn't done much.

:no-no:

My question: Is this guy a mental case?

If he's not, why not give him a try. We don't need a player with a 007 IQ.

We don't need a crackpot or a wild, disruptive force in the locker room.

Some things I've said, over and over. Example: Hit those free throws.

Another: For years I've said, Hawks need a big man, down at the far end of the

bench. Someone to clog the middle, rebound, maybe block some shots. Get

a few points on put backs. Not be intimidated and big and strong enough so

no one pushes him around.

Could this be our "Tractor Trailer" type player I've cried for? Or, does he meet

all the qualifications except the IQ part?

I know nothing about the guy. Nothing.

Please tell me about the man. What's he like? Any one really know?

:newspaper:

• Premium Member
So in other words you are changing your argument. Your problem with Swift isn't that he cant stay on the court it is that he hasn't shown anything when healthy.

There are several posters here including myself that have seen him play that would argue otherwise. I think Swifts career per 36 numbers of 9 rebounds and 2 blocks would qualify as more than nothing.

I refer you again to the season-long evaluation of a Thunder fan that I posted earlier.

Waste of roster space, just like Randolph Morris.

I refer you again to the season-long evaluation of a Thunder fan that I posted earlier.

Waste of roster space, just like Randolph Morris.

Funny how you quote per 36 numbers with Prz as if they have some significance but you completely ignore those same numbers with Swift and Morris.

Morris hasn't blocked a shot, is a weak rebounder and a career 36% shooter. Sorry but your comparison doesn't work.