• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Question about resigning our free agents

Admin

Out of this list of free agents below which of these will cost us money from our MLE to re-sign them? Is it just Flip? I'm fairly sure that we have Z's Bird Rights so that doesn't come out of our BYC to re-sign him right? What about Bibby?

Unrestricted:

Mike Bibby

Zaza Pachulia

Flip Murray

Restricted:

Marvin Williams

Solomon Jones

Othello Hunter

Thomas Gardner

Mario West

Well, it depends on how much you want to spend on them.

But Flip is the only one the Hawks don't have Bird rights on that will command more than the LLE.

I'm going to assume that he's coming back next year based on the assumption that Bibby won't be so let's say that he makes $3 million, that would only leave us with about $2.5 million or so for FA, correct? Plus the LLE which is what about $1.5 million?

I'm going to assume that he's coming back next year based on the assumption that Bibby won't be so let's say that he makes $3 million, that would only leave us with about $2.5 million or so for FA, correct? Plus the LLE which is what about $1.5 million?

Hm.. 2 big assumptions! I prefer to assume that Flip won't be back, but the Hawks sign someone like Bibby, Felton, Jack, Sessions, or even Kidd or Miller to play the point (or SnT for someone like Hinrich.)

• Premium Member

Yep, I'm going with Dr. Z on this one.

I think the Hawks will be looking for a defensive PG who can hit an open 3, a la Jack or Felton.

Oh wait. That's right. Felton can't hit the 3.

Edited by mrhonline

Yep, I'm going with Dr. Z on this one.

I think the Hawks will be looking for a defensive PG who can hit an open 3, a la Jack or Felton.

I also think West will be back. Kid's a fan favorite, and wasn't he at the Philips Arena Taco Mac draft party? Bring back SUPER MARIO!

I am 99% sure he meant MLE not BYC.

Ah yep sorry that's what I meant, I'm trying to do too many things at once this morning.

And when I say assume Bibby is gone and we re-sign Flip it's not about what I want to do or what I think the team should or will do, I'm just asking that we assume that for this case and if that's the case then is it true that we'd only have the MLE - Flip's salary to spend on FA's?

We could spend the LLE on one player. We could spend [MLE - Flip] which could be split up to as many free agents as you want, but realistically one player. We can also give out as many minimum contracts that we want.

So then for the sake of argument if we bring Flip back then we're pretty much limited to minimum contracts as far as outside FA's go this offseason because we won't have much money to spend. That sucks that Flip has to come out of the MLE so if that's the case then maybe he won't be back.

• Premium Member

Based on what Schultz has said (Sund values Flip more than all other GM's), I think there's a chance you could sign Flip with the LLE (~2 years, $4M).

A chance. It is, after all, more than what he got last year when he was a year younger.

Based on what Schultz has said (Sund values Flip more than all other GM's), I think there's a chance you could sign Flip with the LLE (~2 years, $4M).

A chance. It is, after all, more than what he got last year when he was a year younger.

That would be really nice and ideal. I just hate the idea of spending any of our MLE money on Flip since we still have big (pun intended lol) needs in the front court.

• Moderators
That would be really nice and ideal. I just hate the idea of spending any of our MLE money on Flip since we still have big (pun intended lol) needs in the front court.

Flip's scoring is no longer a real need with Crawford and Teague, IMO. If we can't get him cheap, we should not use our MLE on him unless we strike out on other options (and even then only a smaller portion of it).

We should also consider the option of a S&T of Bibby to a WC playoff team like Portland. (I think he's their 2nd option after Miller).

I would assume in that situation that we'd be taking on a contract that they would want to get rid of so who would we want that will fit ~7million from Portland that they might want to trade for Bibby?

• Moderators
I would assume in that situation that we'd be taking on a contract that they would want to get rid of so who would we want that will fit ~7million from Portland that they might want to trade for Bibby?

Here are the guys I would want from them in that range:

Joel Przybilla $6.85M

Steve Blake $4.9M (this assumes Portland is far enough under the cap to do this which hoopshype seems to indicate)

Frankly, I can't see them giving up Pryzbilla at all but perhaps Blake would work?

Edited by AHF

• Premium Member

No, the offer would be Blake+Outlaw+future pick (probably a late 1st).

It's what they're offering (reportedly) for Andre Miller. And probably for Kirk Hinrich.

No, the offer would be Blake+Outlaw+future pick (probably a late 1st).

It's what they're offering (reportedly) for Andre Miller. And probably for Kirk Hinrich.

Hmm that seems like an awful lot to give up for an unrestricted FA. I guess the reason is so they can clear those contracts?

• Premium Member
Hmm that seems like an awful lot to give up for an unrestricted FA. I guess the reason is so they can clear those contracts?

They want to sign Hedo with their cap space, so they'll have to do a S&T for a PG.

They want to sign Hedo with their cap space, so they'll have to do a S&T for a PG.

Well in that case I'd certainly take that deal for Bibby since we need a backup SF behind Marvin and Blake could probably fill the Bibby role to a lesser degree and maybe improve the PG defense some. Then we could use our MLE on bigs.