• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Teague or Lawson?

PaceRam

I know this is a mute point since the draft has already taken place but I am just curious. Do you think the Hawks still would have selected Teague if Lawson was still available? I will admit I know very little about Teague but I was really hoping that Lawson would fall to the Hawks. I will also admit that I was hoping the Hawks would select BJ Mullins IF the Hawks could not get one of the true PG's in the draft (and, I am still not sure if Teague is a pure PG or more of a combo Guard). Anyway, now that the draft is over and Teague is a Hawk I am a huge fan of his and I hope he has many great years for the Hawks!

• Premium Member

Teague 's A/T ratio scares me.

Edited by ClintEasthood

• Premium Member
all woodson cares about is if he can compete in a jump shooting contest

And what do we know about Woody and young players: 1 mistake and your out!

Teague 's 1/1 ratio can't be a good indicator of his PT under Woody.

And what do we know about Woody and young players: 1 mistake and your out!

Teague 's 1/1 ratio can't be a good indicator of his PT under Woody.

What about Horford?? Woody played him..and Marvin too..no?? they made mistakes..dont judge everything off of Law alone..thats all im saying

• Premium Member
What about Horford?? Woody played him..and Marvin too..no?? they made mistakes..dont judge everything off of Law alone..thats all im saying

...and don't forget Smoove started as a Rookie when he had little skill other than dunking. So far, the only young guys who have ended up warming the bench are the guys Woody felt either didn't fit in with the team or who couldn't help the team.

I think we take Lawson. But the more the days go by, the less Im bummed out about missing out on Lawson.

If you think about it, Teague has more upside than Lawson. In fact his upside is up there with any PG in this draft because he's an absolute freakish athlete. More importantly, he combines those freakish physical gifts with a great work ethic and appears very coachable.

Oh and BTW in the head to head matchup this year:

Wake Forest 92-89

Teague

34 points

6 rebounds

4 assists

1 steal

9/17 FG

13/15 FT

3 TO

Lawson

9 points

6 rebounds

5 assists

1 steal

1 block

4/12 FG

1/1 FT

4 TO

Im just saying....

Edited by BusBoyIsBack

I take Ty Lawson because I think he has that "it" factor, which is something I don't think you can put a statistic on. That "it" factor showed through when he came back from his injury and elevated the level of play of that North Carolina team.

I don't want to knock Jeff Teague at all though. He was putting up ridiculous numbers through November, December, and January, but his numbers fell off during the last part of the season. Despite having James Johnson and Al Farouq Aminu on his team, he was unable to elevate the level of his team's play when it came down to crunch time at the end of the season the way Ty Lawson did at Carolina.

I think we take Lawson. But the more the days go by, the less Im bummed out about missing out on Lawson.

If you think about it, Teague has more upside than Lawson. In fact his upside is up there with any PG in this draft because he's an absolute freakish athlete. More importantly, he combines those freakish physical gifts with a great work ethic and appears very coachable.

Oh and BTW in the head to head matchup this year:

Wake Forest 92-89

Teague

34 points

6 rebounds

4 assists

1 steal

9/17 FG

13/15 FT

3 TO

Lawson

9 points

6 rebounds

5 assists

1 steal

1 block

4/12 FG

1/1 FT

4 TO

Im just saying....

he asked who do u think we take,not who u WANT us to take. lol What about Lawson's game and Woodson's "offense" after 5 years makes u think we would pick or want Lawson?

he asked who do u think we take,not who u WANT us to take. lol What about Lawson's game and Woodson's "offense" after 5 years makes u think we would pick or want Lawson?

Because Lawson is more NBA ready which means his game is more Woody friendly

Woodson's patience with rookies is atrocious. Jeff Teague is more likely to make mistakes early in his career which is more likely to keep him in Woodson's doghouse.

Even without Woody, Lawson is more ready to make us a contender now. With Teague we have to wait 2-3 years. But the wait could be well worth it because again he honestly has even more upside

I take Ty Lawson because I think he has that "it" factor, which is something I don't think you can put a statistic on. That "it" factor showed through when he came back from his injury and elevated the level of play of that North Carolina team.

I don't want to knock Jeff Teague at all though. He was putting up ridiculous numbers through November, December, and January, but his numbers fell off during the last part of the season. Despite having James Johnson and Al Farouq Aminu on his team, he was unable to elevate the level of his team's play when it came down to crunch time at the end of the season the way Ty Lawson did at Carolina.

One could argue that Jeff Teague has that "IT factor" Wake Forest was ranked #1 in the country for the 2nd time since you know who led them.

Yeah they fell off because they were a young, inconsistent team. REmember that Lawson has another year in school over Teague.

And Despite having AFA and James Johnson you say? You want to talk about the All-Americans on UNC and the dissapointment UNC had Lawson's Freshman and Sophmore year as far as underachieving?

BTW, I can't believe Im arguing for this kid Teague over Lawson but the more I study this kid the more I like him.

Edited by BusBoyIsBack

Woodson's patience with rookies is atrocious. Jeff Teague is more likely to make mistakes early in his career which is more likely to keep him in Woodson's doghouse.

Even without Woody, Lawson is more ready to make us a contender now. With Teague we have to wait 2-3 years. But the wait could be well worth it because again he honestly has even more upside

One could argue that Jeff Teague has that "IT factor" Wake Forest was ranked #1 in the country for the 2nd time since you know who led them.

Yeah they fell off because they were a young, inconsistent team. REmember that Lawson has another year in school over Teague.

And Despite having AFA and James Johnson you say? You want to talk about the All-Americans on UNC and the dissapointment UNC had Lawson's Freshman and Sophmore year as far as underachieving?

BTW, I can't believe Im arguing for this kid Teague over Lawson but the more I study this kid the more I like him.

ummm Acie? lol being NBA ready means nothing here. Being a true PG means he aint working out here as long as woody is here. if he aint Reggie Miller at the PG spot then he aint working out.

Edited by Cwell

In the long run, it all comes down to what you want to have at the point guard position. With Tywon Lawson, you would have a true point guard. With Jeff Teague, you would have a combo guard. If Jeff Teague turns out to be another Jason Terry, which is the player I think he resembles the most physically, then he will definitely be a good player. However, will the Hawks and the Hawks fans turn on him like they did Jason Terry because he didn't fit their "ideal" of what a point guard is rather than actually accepting him for what he is? I think with Teague, you will have a Jason Terry type of lead guard that shoots fewer three point shots and gets to the free throw line more often. Gilbert Arenas is another comparison, but I think Gilbert is physically a stronger and better built player at this point.

I think one thing players like Jeff Teague and other combo guards have going for them in the future is that the NBA is becoming more like the college game in that it is becoming guard oriented. There is a dearth of quality big men in the NBA, and the league is adapting. The rules of the league also favor guard play with the no hand checking rules that basically prevent anyone from being able to play good defense on the perimeter.

• Premium Member

Acie didn't play because he didn't play well consistently. He was drafted because Knight thought he would play well consistently.

Teague was drafted with the knowledge that it may take some time for him to develop.

Acie didn't play because he didn't play well consistently. He was drafted because Knight thought he would play well consistently.

Teague was drafted with the knowledge that it may take some time for him to develop.

he didn't get consistent minutes to play well consistently. He never got more minutes when he did play well. So how was he supposed t o improve his game and become more conistent?

• Premium Member

He had plenty of opportunities. Plenty. He would look solid for a game, and then disappear in the next two.

The problem with Law was two-fold:

1. I don't think Woodson wanted him to begin with.

2. He was supposed to be "NBA ready," but wasn't.

He had plenty of opportunities. Plenty. He would look solid for a game, and then disappear in the next two.

My guess is, Woodson wanted Rodney Stuckey in that draft. Rodney Stuckey seems to fit the style of point guard that Mike Woodson obviously wants.

Plenty opportunities? u call playing over 30 minutes in ONE game in two years opportunities? u call 4 minutes here 11 minutes there, 8 minutes here then 5 straight DNP-CD's opportunities?