• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Teague or Lawson?

PaceRam

• Premium Member

Acie never earned 30 minutes.

But go back and look at his game log for each of the past two seasons.

You'll notice a significant stretch of games at the beginning of each season. You'll see a few games where he played well, a few crappy games, and a few blah games. Then he proceeded to get injured.

Bottom line, Acie never really earned more playing time.

Acie never earned 30 minutes.

But go back and look at his game log for each of the past two seasons.

You'll notice a significant stretch of games at the beginning of each season. You'll see a few games where he played well, a few crappy games, and a few blah games. Then he proceeded to get injured.

Bottom line, Acie never really earned more playing time.

bs double standard. The same can be said for plenty young players and they still get minutes and they play through their struggles and get better they don't just get glued to the bench. Greg Popavich once said his bench players would have to play horrible for like 38 straight games before he would stop playing them. It's like Acie is the only porfessional player not allowed to go through struggles He never got to learn from mistakes. He never even got to make all his rookie mistakes. I looked back at other young PG's in their numbers weren't too hot at first either. Acie wasn't on some other level of suckiness like u try to make it seem. It was pretty obvious he improved parts of his game from his rookie year ,yet he played even less. People come with the he can't shoot thing but he shot well when given the chance mostly,especially with the corner 3,he killed that all year.

Edited by Cwell

• Premium Member
Plenty opportunities? u call playing over 30 minutes in ONE game in two years opportunities? u call 4 minutes here 11 minutes there, 8 minutes here then 5 straight DNP-CD's opportunities?

I can recall several times when Acie would "show out" then get a DNP the next game.

• Premium Member
I can recall several times when Acie would "show out" then get a DNP the next game.

Please. This is such revisionist history. Law has scored more than 10 points in a game decided by 10 points or less ONCE in his entire NBA career. Once.

This was the way things would go during the last two years.

Acie sucks. Silence.

Acie sucks. Silence.

Acie mediocre. Silence.

Acie DNP. Board in uproar.

Acie sucks. Silence.

Acie injured for two months.

Acie sucks. Silence.

Acie mediocre. Silence.

Acie mediocre. Silence.

Acie great game. Board in uproar.

Acie mediocre. Silence.

Acie mediocre. Silence.

He had plenty of opportunities. Plenty.

Please. This is such revisionist history. Law has scored more than 10 points in a game decided by 10 points or less ONCE in his entire NBA career. Once.

This was the way things would go during the last two years.

Acie sucks. Silence.

Acie sucks. Silence.

Acie mediocre. Silence.

Acie sucks. Silence.

Acie injured for two months.

Acie sucks. Silence.

Acie mediocre. Silence.

Acie mediocre. Silence.

Acie great game. Board in uproar.

Acie mediocre. Silence.

Acie mediocre. Silence.

He had plenty of opportunities. Plenty.

woodson never let him play if the game was on the line. Even when he started he didn't play in the 4th. He prolly has less than 50 minutes total out of 4th quarters in his career. Woodson gave him no shot PERIOD. U say how Acie cucked yet ignore the minutes. He would get pulled after a few minutes. In some of his good games he didn't get going until a few minutes. In game 2 against Boston he started a with a to gone the other way for a lay up and a 24 second violation the 2nd play, he would usually get pulled there but woodson left him in and he scored 12 points and slowed rondo from getting in the paint at will. nobody is gonna just ome out blazing when the system doesn't even suit him in the first place.

Edited by Cwell

I'm going with mrhonline here. Acie Law was given opportunities. Maybe not as much as he would have gotten under a different coach, but he *did* get opportunities in which he rarely capitalized on. Woodson was definitely harsh on Acie though. But it's useless to argue with Cwell about Acie. With the way he talks about him, you might actually think that they are related (or butt buddies).

got this from the ajc blog. it was kinda funny to me:

"I’m not so sure about this: “And it’s possible that Acie went from a none-too-good situation to a worse one. Woody may not like a dude, but he’ll say so. Nellie? Dude will flat out lie.”

I personally think Woody’s either lying, or is, as myc says “completely clueless”.

LOL! Woody said this: “I gave Acie some opportunities, and it just didn’t work.”

In the 12 games where Acie had at least 15 minutes (that is, a true opportunity) he averaged 7.2 pts. 2.4 reb. and 3.1 assists to 0.8 turnovers.

But THAT is cluelessly translated as “just didn’t work”. Acie also had MORE dnp-cd’s than games where he played at least 15 minutes. And, as we all know, MANY dnp-cd’s after a productive stint in the previous game.

Note Acie’s almost 4:1 ratio of assist / turnover in those games. Teague’s is 1:1, but he’s “closer to a true point guard” according to chrome dome.

Woody should have kept his mouth shut, rather than “removing all doubt”

Acie deserved better than he got from Woodson.

And that does not mitigate my feelings about the perceived worth of the Crawford trade. We still got a lot for a little. We’ll see how it works out."

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2009/06/25/trad...ge-12/#comments

Edited by Cwell

• Premium Member
I'm going with mrhonline here. Acie Law was given opportunities. Maybe not as much as he would have gotten under a different coach, but he *did* get opportunities in which he rarely capitalized on. Woodson was definitely harsh on Acie though. But it's useless to argue with Cwell about Acie. With the way he talks about him, you might actually think that they are related (or butt buddies).

STOP! He's just a fan of the guy!

• Premium Member

why go there?

Everything Cwell saying is 100% on point. No way Acie is not a starting PG (or a backup getting major minutes) on any other team in the East. It's clear to see that Woody never gave the guy a real chance to be successful.

• Moderators

I think an objective observer would say that Law's play was plainly mediocre during his time in Atlanta and that Woodson mismanaged his development by not giving him a consistent role off the bench.

As for Lawson or Teague, I don't know enough about Sund's philosophy and whether he was drafting for the best players or the best player compatible with Woodson's style so I won't even hazard a guess whether we take Teague or Lawson.

I will say that my philosophy on PGs is that the shoot first guys don't amount to anything and you need someone who can orchestrate an offense and make things easier for others to score. I hope Teague can be that kind of PG but nothing indicates that is the case. Lawson, imo, will clearly be that type of PG if he pans out (which isn't guaranteed by any means with his size, athleticism and shooting). I would definitely have taken Lawson but think Teague is a perfect 6th man for this team. Obviously, my biggest question is where his minutes are coming now that we have Crawford and especially if we resign Flip.

got this from the ajc blog. it was kinda funny to me:

"I’m not so sure about this: “And it’s possible that Acie went from a none-too-good situation to a worse one. Woody may not like a dude, but he’ll say so. Nellie? Dude will flat out lie.”

I personally think Woody’s either lying, or is, as myc says “completely clueless”.

LOL! Woody said this: “I gave Acie some opportunities, and it just didn’t work.”

In the 12 games where Acie had at least 15 minutes (that is, a true opportunity) he averaged 7.2 pts. 2.4 reb. and 3.1 assists to 0.8 turnovers.

But THAT is cluelessly translated as “just didn’t work”. Acie also had MORE dnp-cd’s than games where he played at least 15 minutes. And, as we all know, MANY dnp-cd’s after a productive stint in the previous game.

Note Acie’s almost 4:1 ratio of assist / turnover in those games. Teague’s is 1:1, but he’s “closer to a true point guard” according to chrome dome.

Woody should have kept his mouth shut, rather than “removing all doubt”

Acie deserved better than he got from Woodson.

And that does not mitigate my feelings about the perceived worth of the Crawford trade. We still got a lot for a little. We’ll see how it works out."

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2009/06/25/trad...ge-12/#comments

I agree with Cwell. No matter what DA Woody says he never gave Acie a chance. I'm an Acie fan but everyone knows we got a good deal but Acie just needed a chance and I'll doubt he gets it in GS but I could be wrong. To say Teague is more of a true point is really dumb and seems to be a lie to cover up his dislike for Acie. Then again Woody also thinks Flip "I've never seen a shot I don't like" Murray is a true point . The thing that scares me with Flip is do we get last years Flip or the mediocre shooting Flip?

Edited by uga2006

• Premium Member
I agree with Cwell. No matter what DA Woody says he never gave Acie a chance. I'm an Acie fan but everyone knows we got a good deal but Acie just needed a chance and I'll doubt he gets it in GS but I could be wrong. To say Teague is more of a true point is really dumb and seems to be a lie to cover up his dislike for Acie. Then again Woody also thinks Flip "I've never seen a shot I don't like" Murray is a true point . The thing that scares me with Flip is do we get last years Flip or the mediocre shooting Flip?

You said it UGA. Woody referring to Teague as "true PG" was nothing but a baseless cheap shot at Acie. Acie had far better indicators coming out of A&M which leaves Woody's evaluation of Teague useless. Not saying anything negative about Teague but to refer to him a true PG is just plain dumb when all the comparable indicators say otherwise.

Edited by ClintEasthood

...and don't forget Smoove started as a Rookie when he had little skill other than dunking. So far, the only young guys who have ended up warming the bench are the guys Woody felt either didn't fit in with the team or who couldn't help the team.

Marvin, Smoove, et al, all got to play when there was no pressure on Woody to win. That's the difference.

Last year Woody's seat was hotter than ever, and he had to get W's. Acie was not the best option for getting W's last year, we can probably all agree.

If Teague helps the team, he'll play, otherwise he will mostly sit. Simple as that.

I think an objective observer would say that Law's play was plainly mediocre during his time in Atlanta and that Woodson mismanaged his development by not giving him a consistent role off the bench.

As for Lawson or Teague, I don't know enough about Sund's philosophy and whether he was drafting for the best players or the best player compatible with Woodson's style so I won't even hazard a guess whether we take Teague or Lawson.

I will say that my philosophy on PGs is that the shoot first guys don't amount to anything and you need someone who can orchestrate an offense and make things easier for others to score. I hope Teague can be that kind of PG but nothing indicates that is the case. Lawson, imo, will clearly be that type of PG if he pans out (which isn't guaranteed by any means with his size, athleticism and shooting). I would definitely have taken Lawson but think Teague is a perfect 6th man for this team. Obviously, my biggest question is where his minutes are coming now that we have Crawford and especially if we resign Flip.

Agreed. I don't expect much production from Teague as a rookie.