• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Sekou: No summer league for Hawks

mrhonline

• Premium Member

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2009/06/29/on-t...fid=blogs_hawks

Wanted to partition this off from the JJ discussion.

No summer league team this year, but the Hawks are supposed to have a mini-camp next month where they bring in guys and put them through the paces. They’re going to lose out on some good free agents, though, because they don’t have a summer league entry.

The entire summer league, the Hawks were in, was termintated.

Was it called the Rocky Mountain Summer League..............I just remember it was in Utah.

It less then half the league will be fielding summer league teams this year.

Oh, well. That money is probably better off going to some of our free agents any way.

• Premium Member
The entire summer league, the Hawks were in, was termintated.

Was it called the Rocky Mountain Summer League..............I just remember it was in Utah.

It less then half the league will be fielding summer league teams this year.

Oh, well. That money is probably better off going to some of our free agents any way.

Most of those teams will be in Orlando instead.

STUPID QUESTION! So, if the Hawks don't participate in the Summer League then will that make it that much harder for them to compete for some of the better Undrafted College Free Agents? I am assuming that if an Undrafted Player signs with an NBA Team to play in a Summer League that player can't sign with another team to get on their roster? If this is true then this sure would seem to hurt the Hawks chances at signing any of the quality players that went undrafted.

• Premium Member
Are there any other NBA teams that will not field summer league teams?

I think Charlotte is the only other one.

STUPID QUESTION! So, if the Hawks don't participate in the Summer League then will that make it that much harder for them to compete for some of the better Undrafted College Free Agents? I am assuming that if an Undrafted Player signs with an NBA Team to play in a Summer League that player can't sign with another team to get on their roster? If this is true then this sure would seem to hurt the Hawks chances at signing any of the quality players that went undrafted.

Not a stupid question, and you are right. It will be difficult for the Hawks to sign undrafted FA's.

• Premium Member

^^^Sucks for the fan.

Probably means nothing in terms of his development.

(Plus I had my ultra-sophisticated game score thingee ready to go. It picked out Gardner and Hunter as the best players last year).