• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Ford: Hawks Still Looking to Move Josh Smith

AHF

• Moderators

Not daunted by the fact that his earlier trade predictions came up with nothing, Ford reports in his chat today:

Nadja (Switzerland) 10:50 AM What will the hawks do with their cap? where do you see bibby next year? good chat today!!

Chad Ford 10:52 AM I think they re-sign Marvin Williams and Pachulia. I think Bibby and Josh Childress walk. Still hearing they may, in August, make a Josh Smith trade.

Not daunted by the fact that his earlier trade predictions came up with nothing, Ford reports in his chat today:

“Darko really is one of a kind. He runs the floor, handles the ball, shoots an NBA three and plays with his back to the basket. So you can slot him at the 3, 4 or 5. Okay, a few other guys can do that too; what sets Darko apart is his toughness in the post. You’ve got to love a guy who has the footwork to spin by an opponent but still prefers to lower a shoulder and bang. Fact is, Milicic plays in attack mode at both ends of the floor. The more you push, the more he pushes back.”

Chad Ford, ESPN Insider, June 23rd Edition, ESPN the Magazine

I got nothin' else to say about that bum.

• Premium Member

I think this is one rumor we all would love to see squashed. I don't remember another hawks player being talk about so much during the offseason.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

Chilz walks, as in, he comes back to the US and we're renoucing him?

*suddently having substantial difficulty swallowing*

Good to know we've got that Swiss fan base interested, though, right?

Edited by sturt

• Moderators
Chilz walks, as in, he comes back to the US and we're renoucing him?

*suddently having substantial difficulty swallowing*

Good to know we've got that Swiss fan base interested, though, right?

I don't read that much into Ford's comment on Josh. I read it as saying that Josh isn't going to be on next season's roster -- not that he will necessarily be back in the NBA next season.

Actually the Hawks did make a trade so the rumors that they were looking to make a deal were true. Just because the Hawks didn't do exactly the trades that Ford was clearly speculating on doesn't mean his reports were entirely inaccurate.

I think this is one rumor we all would love to see squashed. I don't remember another hawks player being talk about so much during the offseason.

Unless rumor includes 2 words...........those being Bosh & Extension.

• Premium Member
I don't read that much into Ford's comment on Josh. I read it as saying that Josh isn't going to be on next season's roster -- not that he will necessarily be back in the NBA next season.

Otoh, one could easily imagine that Ford didn't pause to think about Chilz being a different kind of FA than Bibby. I know that was my first reaction, but then I gave him a little more benefit of a doubt.

• Premium Member
Unless rumor includes 2 words...........those being Bosh & Extension.

I guess we better get used to it seeing how the FA period hasn't even officially started.

• Moderators
Actually the Hawks did make a trade so the rumors that they were looking to make a deal were true. Just because the Hawks didn't do exactly the trades that Ford was clearly speculating on doesn't mean his reports were entirely inaccurate.

Considering that his trade predictions were limited to the fact that the Hawks intended to move Josh Smith, I view this as an all-or-nothing proposition for Ford. If he more generally said that the Hawks were looking at trades including the possibility of Josh Smith, that would lead me to give him some credit for the Crawford deal. However, Ford was not focused on dealing Speedy's expiring contract (which was the most obvious thing to lead to a trade) and was focused on Josh Smith.

Considering that his trade predictions were limited to the fact that the Hawks intended to move Josh Smith, I view this as an all-or-nothing proposition for Ford.

Unless i am remembering wrong i believe he also mentioned the Hawks looking to move Speedy and the 19th pick. Turns out they moved Speedy and Acie.

Ford also called us picking Teague in his mock draft on May 20.

Edited by exodus

Ford is just trying to sell insider subscriptions. He also read Lang's post and decided to change his stance on when Smoove will be traded.

Let's see, he was wrong in reporting a $6 million trade kicker. Didn't know about BYC status for Josh. Didn't know a restricted free agent who had his offer sheet matched cannot be traded for 1 year without the RFA's consent. Anyone else seeing how useless of a reporter Chad Ford is? He is a step-up from a regular RealGM poster only because Chad is connected with ESPN.You take away ESPN from him and you can find thousands of Chad Fords at RealGM.com

Like him or not Ford has a lot of access to the front offices of the teams. That means he knows how a draftees workouts went. He knows when teams are shopping for trades.

Over the last few years Ford hasn't reported many trade rumors involving the Hawks. Therefore when he reported that the Hawks were shopping i believed it. However as to the specific trades that he was speculating on i just took them as another cheap shot.

Edited by exodus

I hope Smith doesn't buy in to all this crap Ford is saying. When players hear that their being shopped all over the league they usually get disgruntled.

LOL Id hope by now that Smoove (of all people) would know not to believe these media types. He gets ish talked about him more than almost any other player.

• Premium Member
LOL Id hope by now that Smoove (of all people) would know not to believe these media types. He gets ish talked about him more than almost any other player.

Yeah, but this has to be getting to him a little bit. It's obvious that he loves playing here. And for all of his faults, you know he's giving it his all out there, for better or worse. He may be emotional and make bad decisions on the court from time to time, but I see that as a player who really wants to compete. Let's face it, the Hawks aren't exactly the most passionate team in the league. I'm starting to think the way some fans and the media talk about and portray Smoove is unfair. Last season's contract negotiations and this season's trade rumors brought out a lot of folks who flat out don't like Smith for whatever reason. I get frustrated with his play on the court too but I think he really has good motives when he tries to stroke a three or take the ball the length of the court. He just seems a little over eager at times and rushes things or tries to make up for the opposing team's run by shooting a three pointer. I just can't fault effort, even if the results I'd like to see aren't there.

• Premium Member

It has to be hard on the guy though. Imagine how he feels having to hear this stuff everyday during his morning practice session. But I bet he cheers up quite nicely when he thinks about all that cheddar in his account.

here's what chad ford said:

Chad Ford 10:52 AM I think they re-sign Marvin Williams and Pachulia. I think Bibby and Josh Childress walk. Still hearing they may, in August, make a Josh Smith trade.

here's what i read:

see you later marvin and zaza. bibby's staying, and i'm guessing childress is coming back at a cheaper rate than what marvin would cost. "they MAY in august make a josh smith trade"? great forecast chad. i'll predict the weather in august, too: partly cloudy with a chance of rain.