• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Sekou's Twitter: Hawks thinking about a big fish?

NowYouKnow

This means we are considering renouncing our rights for most of our FA's.

If we renounce every one we would have $12 mill plus the MLE.

I would love to hear a name or two. Sekou has already mentioned the bigs like Gortat, McDeysse, and Wallace. Now he is talking about bigger fish, hm...........

Kidd, Artest, Gordon, Hedo ?

Out of those big name FAs, Artest and Kidd fit what we need the most. We have tons of scorers. Kidd could get the most out of them. JJ would probably rather defend SFs then PGs. Put Jamal Crawford on the PGs and Kidd on the weaker wing player.

Artest would give us that defensive stopper and a more aggresive offensive player.

Could something creative be going on with sign and trades for Marvin and Chillz ? The Hornets need to get some young running mates for Paul. Maybe a sign and trade invloving Chandler ?

Edited by coachx

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
But it gives you a sense of their efficiency which matters within a team. No stat is the end all be all of stats thats why you have to compare and contrast. Plenty of times people see big names and go gaga without actually thinking about fit or style. Alot of people are all up in arms about Crawford being a chucker, well WTF you think Artest is?

Crawford 2008-09 TS% = .545

Artest 2008-09 TS% = .512

Hawks' worst starter TS% = .533 (Marvin then Horford then Bibby then JJ and last Josh Smith at .533)

Artest is woefully overrated. He put up a worse PER than Marvin. His defense is still solid because he has that reputation and is allowed to body other players by the refs but he is terribly inefficient on offense, shoots wildly, over dribbles, breaks plays and just generally freelances. Add in his attitude and it's hard to reel him in especially seeing as Joe is not a big enough star or vocal enough for Artest to respect. At that age and price tag I'd rather go with the younger cheaper guy that is less likely to give me a headache.

+1000

Crawford 2008-09 TS% = .545

Artest 2008-09 TS% = .512

Hawks' worst starter TS% = .533 (Marvin then Horford then Bibby then JJ and last Josh Smith at .533)

Your right on Artest.

I had no idea he was so inefficient offensively.

Edited by coachx

Okay, but seriously, leaving the pond could mean they are looking outside the NBA. Or, perhaps they are looking at some high salary FA's like Turkoglu. You know a proven SF like Turk would help...

Could something creative be going on with sign and trades for Marvin and Chillz ? The Hornets need to get some young running mates for Paul. Maybe a sign and trade invloving Chandler ?

I think Chandler would be a good addition to our team. If Za leaves we are up a creek without bigs.

• Premium Member
I'd love to see Hedo or Artest here in Atlanta taking Marvin's spot . . .

Hedo is one thing but Artest? He's one of the most inefficient offensive players in the NBA, he's not young anymore and his attitude mixed with the night life in Atlanta? C'mon! That's a recipe for disaster.

Hedo is one thing but Artest? He's one of the most inefficient offensive players in the NBA, he's not young anymore and his attitude mixed with the night life in Atlanta? C'mon! That's a recipe for disaster.

Houston doesn't have a big time night life?

He is a decent offensive player and one of the best defensive players in the NBA . . . and also an upgrade over Marvin Williams (on both sides of the ball).

• Premium Member
Houston doesn't have a big time night life?

He is a decent offensive player and one of the best defensive players in the NBA . . . and also an upgrade over Marvin Williams (on both sides of the ball).

Atlanta's night life is one I would easily put up against anywhere in the country esp. for young black men. Artest is bat s*** crazy. I would never want to see him on one of my teams. He's not better than Marvin on offense and while he's still a good defender he's not as good as he used to be and with his age he's just going to get better.

• Premium Member
Atlanta's night life is one I would easily put up against anywhere in the country esp. for young black men. Artest is bat s*** crazy. I would never want to see him on one of my teams. He's not better than Marvin on offense and while he's still a good defender he's not as good as he used to be and with his age he's just going to get better.

I Lol'd!!!!!!

Honestly, I think the 'PER' is overrated. It is not a true sign of how good a player is.

The PER might be overrated, but not by much. It's certainly FAR better than PPG, which is how the casual fan evaluates players. I think PPS (points per shot) is a very important statistic, as well. Players should be evaluated through how good they are at maximizing possessions (both offensively and defensively). Careless chuckers (Crawford, e.g.) are detrimental to their teams.

LOL . . now how crazy are we really?

We welcome Crawford ( a guy who is explosive but schizophrenic on offense ), but want nothing to do with Artest ( who is schizophrenic but can be explosive on offense, but is also one of the best all-around defenders in the league )?

Really?

Artest, like Crawford, has horrible shot selection. But unlike Crawford, he can make it up on the defensive end. Some of you may want to look at some defensive stats, before expressing your distaste for Artest over Crawford.

• Premium Member

Artest over Marvin all day, every day. IMO

Artest over Marvin all day, every day. IMO

And then in 2 years you regret it like Houston fans do every time they think about Rudy Gay and how they traded him for Shane Battier. I like Artest but the age gap (7 years) is far too great to consider Artest being more valuable IMO.