• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Does Charlie V contract set the marker for Marv?

WraithSentinel

Charlie V is the better player esp on Offenisve and rebounding but The Pistons got a very good deal I thought for sure Charlie V would get least 8-9 Million a year this market is really gonna affect alot of players.

Are you serious ?

Charlie V is not as god as Marvin b/c Charlie is allergic to defense. Charlie V is not a better rebounder either. When you realize he plays the PF position and not the SF position you will realize that.

Give me a guy who plays both ends of the floor with the flexibility to guard 2 positions over a guy who can't guard one position any day of the week.

Marvin is so much better right thats why teams are were going after Charlie first hmmm I know he was URFA but charlie has the size , scoring and yes he is a better rebounder look at his numbers and the double doubles. 6 For Marvin and 14 for Charlie more then double yes playing PF but still ill take Charlie over Marvin.

• Premium Member
Are you serious ?

Charlie V is not as god as Marvin b/c Charlie is allergic to defense. Charlie V is not a better rebounder either. When you realize he plays the PF position and not the SF position you will realize that.

Give me a guy who plays both ends of the floor with the flexibility to guard 2 positions over a guy who can't guard one position any day of the week.

Marvin is not that great of a defender. You guys have built up this fantasy belief about Marvin and defense... He's not that good. Moreover, Charlie V. is twice the player that Marvin is on offense.

Marvin is not that great of a defender. You guys have built up this fantasy belief about Marvin and defense... He's not that good. Moreover, Charlie V. is twice the player that Marvin is on offense.

Diesel has a point. Hawksquawk does overrate Marvin's D. He is a solid defender as he doesn't take ANY risks on D (that is why you see minimal steals and blocks for his position) and doesn't lose position. But he gets beaten by quicker forwards quite easily.

You would have to question a guy who despite always being the second offensive option on his teams could never average more than 30 minutes in a season. Would it have anything to do with the fact he averages double the amount of personal fouls Marvin does?

I'd take Marv over Charlie V.....Charlie is the type of guy who looks pretty smooth on offense, but doesn't play a lick of D and his teams are always going to struggle if he is one of the top 3 players on the team..if he's a 4th or 5th option them maybe not but he just isn't a team player.

Marvin is so much better right thats why teams are were going after Charlie first hmmm I know he was URFA but charlie has the size , scoring and yes he is a better rebounder look at his numbers and the double doubles. 6 For Marvin and 14 for Charlie more then double yes playing PF but still ill take Charlie over Marvin.

Him being a URFA makes a huge difference. why would Detroit waste their time with Marvin when history shows that we would match their offer, esp in this economy when the only way to get Marv is out-bid us.

Unless somebody has a ton of money to throw his way, and a huge hole at SF, i dont think teams are gonna be as agressive with Marv as they will any Unrestricted FA SF out there.

To answer the point of the thread, i think Marv will get something in that area

• Premium Member
Him being a URFA makes a huge difference. why would Detroit waste their time with Marvin when history shows that we would match their offer, esp in this economy when the only way to get Marv is out-bid us.

Unless somebody has a ton of money to throw his way, and a huge hole at SF, i dont think teams are gonna be as agressive with Marv as they will any Unrestricted FA SF out there.

To answer the point of the thread, i think Marv will get something in that area

That's a big stretch. I don't think we match every offer on Marvin. Even a 5 year 40 Million wouldn't have gotten matched. Teams know that we still need a vet PG, a big and that we can be set at Sf as is. Any team can make Marvin a deal and we would not match it. Especially being that next year, we want to resign Joe and Horf.

• Premium Member
That's a big stretch. I don't think we match every offer on Marvin. Even a 5 year 40 Million wouldn't have gotten matched. Teams know that we still need a vet PG, a big and that we can be set at Sf as is. Any team can make Marvin a deal and we would not match it. Especially being that next year, we want to resign Joe and Horf.

Diesel, Sekou is reporting that the Hawks told Childress' agent that they would match at least up to the MLE. That's at least 5 years, $32M. That they wouldn't pay another $1.5M per for Marvin is not likely since it's clear they value him more than Childress.

Also, Horford isn't a free agent until 2011, after Jamal's contract is off the books.

Edited by mrhonline

And again by that faulty logic Smoove must have been flat out awful last year since nobody was going after him right?

• Premium Member
Diesel, Sekou is reporting that the Hawks told Childress' agent that they would match at least up to the MLE. That's at least 5 years, $32M. That they wouldn't pay another $1.5M per for Marvin is not likely since it's clear they value him more than Childress.

Also, Horford isn't a free agent until 2011, after Jamal's contract is off the books.

When was the last time Sekou was right about anything?

We get better scoops from national media. Sekou is tweeting you guys but who is tweeting Sekou? Right now, it looks like Vecsey.

• Premium Member

OK, let's assume Sekou is right for once.

Chillz would be easier to move. I don't think we value Marvin that much. Where's his deal? He's going to be treated just like everybody else. We will let the market decide. Being that his QO is 7.355... I don't think that we want to pay that for another swingman. Chillz is easier to move. His low salary and high efficiency and ability to handle the ball would make him value to all the other teams who didn't pick Marvin 2nd.

OK, let's assume Sekou is right for once.

Chillz would be easier to move. I don't think we value Marvin that much. Where's his deal? He's going to be treated just like everybody else. We will let the market decide. Being that his QO is 7.355... I don't think that we want to pay that for another swingman. Chillz is easier to move. His low salary and high efficiency and ability to handle the ball would make him value to all the other teams who didn't pick Marvin 2nd.

Unless there is someone else sitting at the computer with you I'm not sure who this "we" is that you're referring to. I truly wonder what you're going to say when Marvin is a Hawk playing on a new multi-year contract next season. Will you still believe that Marvin isn't valued that much?

You obviously have a limited understanding of how free agency works. Restricted free agents always take longer to sign then unrestricted free agents. If Charlie V were better then Marvin the Buck would have retained his rights and made him restricted. Charlie is so good that the Bucks are trying to bring in Marvin's former back up to replace him.

Coach Skiles like defense and Charlie V. simply does not play it.

They targeted Charlie V. b/c he was an unrestricted free agent. (Bucks would not have 7 days to match the contract).

Marvin Williams is a resticted free agent. Meaning the Hawks would have 7 days to match their offer. For 7 days the Pistons $40 mill (offered to CV) would have tied up their cap space.