• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

I can't imagine how ill I would be tonight if I were a Memphis fan

sturt

Randolph is better than both Lee and Milsap seeing as he does the two things that team lacked in their frontcourt last year, post scoring and rebounding.

He also comes cheaper than either because he's making 16mill this year and they traded Q Brick who was making 8.7mill for him. So that means they are really paying 7+mill for Randolph when either Lee and Millsap were shopping for deals starting at 10+mill. So in the end considering their owner is very cheap he just solved his PF problem and saved 3-4million doing it.

I'm befuddled. I mean, really befuddled. Why Randolph instead of David Lee as rumored earlier?

I'm convinced that there may be only three or four truly good general managers in the NBA, and Chris Wallace is one of the worst. Funny thing is, I was actually impressed with Memphis's draft for the first time since Billy Knight ran the show there because they focused on getting guys that could improve them defensively. Thabeet is a player you can build a defense around. DeMarre Carroll is a glue guy, and Sam Young was a steal where they got him.

Then, they go and get one of the worst defensive power forwards in the game after making moves to improve their defense. It's two steps forward and then two steps back for them.

Memphis should have gone after David Lee.

I'm convinced that there may be only three or four truly good general managers in the NBA, and Chris Wallace is one of the worst. Funny thing is, I was actually impressed with Memphis's draft for the first time since Billy Knight ran the show there because they focused on getting guys that could improve them defensively. Thabeet is a player you can build a defense around. DeMarre Carroll is a glue guy, and Sam Young was a steal where they got him.

Then, they go and get one of the worst defensive power forwards in the game after making moves to improve their defense. It's two steps forward and then two steps back for them.

Memphis should have gone after David Lee.

It's not Wallace's fault its the owner's, Heisley, who constantly meddles in anything that has to deal with finances. He brought in a coach he likes in Hollins, not Wallace and rumor has it that he killed the Lee deal. He is extremely cheap and only makes "basketball" moves if they are extremely cost effective for him.

• Admin
Instead of why Randolph over Lee, you also have to ask yourself...why Randolph over Gasol?

That is a good question. There is a reason teams keep trying to get rid of Randolph. He is a head case and also a TERRIBLE defender too. He is a really good post scorer and rebounder but he doesn't seem to fit with any team.

They have him for a year but if he does not work out he is good trade bait next year with such a big contract coming off the books.

Edited by capstone21

Instead of why Randolph over Lee, you also have to ask yourself...why Randolph over Gasol?

Gasol didn't want to be the man in Memphis.

Heisley didn't want to pay Gasol not to be the man in Memphis.

Boom trade he gets capspace.

High draft picks that he turned into Mayo and now Thabeet.

Ability to aquire a comparable (in terms of scoring/rebounding) PF with said capspace.

PF aquired with capspace happens to expire the same year as Jaric freeing up 20mil right around same time that Gay, Conley and Mayo would require new deals.

not a perfect scenario but Pau really wanted out of Memphis so you can't blame them on that front.

Gasol didn't want to be the man in Memphis.

Heisley didn't want to pay Gasol not to be the man in Memphis.

Boom trade he gets capspace.

High draft picks that he turned into Mayo and now Thabeet.

Ability to aquire a comparable (in terms of scoring/rebounding) PF with said capspace.

PF aquired with capspace happens to expire the same year as Jaric freeing up 20mil right around same time that Gay, Conley and Mayo would require new deals.

not a perfect scenario but Pau really wanted out of Memphis so you can't blame them on that front.

I think you're right! Pau is a great player, but has a makeup of a princess... He wanted out of Memphis badly!

People diss Randolph, but praise Crawford? This fan base is funny.

Memphis needed a PF, so they went out and got one of the better ones in Randolph. He's not going to defend, but he's going to efficiently score and rebound the basketball.

Memphis knows that they're not winning anything this year. So instead of keeping a useless player for one year, they got a decent player for 2 years . . . possibly.

That 17 million next summer could be very interesting to a team looking to gain a large expiring contract for the 2011 free agency period.

This is no different, than the move we made for Bibby 2 years ago, when there were major quesitions as to if Bibby still had any decent game left in him.

• Moderators

There are serious questions in my mind whether Randolph ever had game other than of the stat padding variety. Memphis did not unload comparable salary so I am just interested to see whether they are going to get value for the money they are going to be paying him which they would not have had to pay had they kept Q (roughly 15M). This is as good a situation for Z-Bo as possible, though, so if it is ever going to work out for him -- this is the chance.

There are serious questions in my mind whether Randolph ever had game other than of the stat padding variety. Memphis did not unload comparable salary so I am just interested to see whether they are going to get value for the money they are going to be paying him which they would not have had to pay had they kept Q (roughly 15M). This is as good a situation for Z-Bo as possible, though, so if it is ever going to work out for him -- this is the chance.

I agree with your earlier question of why Z-bo over Gasol but I really don't think it was THAT bad of a move for MEM for several reasons. First of all, if you have Thabeet at Center, your PF HAS to be able to score and one thing Z-Bo can do is score. Second, I am not all that convinced that David Lee is a $10M/season player. I think he is a solid player but I see a lot of "Reef" in him in that his stats look good but he's not really an impact player. I certainly don't see him EVER being an All Star. Finally, on paper, MEM has a lineup that should be somewhat competitive, particularly if they could add a veteran PG. You put Bibby on that team and they wouldn't be half bad:

Thabeet/Gasol

Z-Bo/Arthur

Gay/Warrick

Mayo/Jaric

Bibby/Conley

• Moderators
Second, I am not all that convinced that David Lee is a $10M/season player. I think he is a solid player but I see a lot of "Reef" in him in that his stats look good but he's not really an impact player. I certainly don't see him EVER being an All Star.

I agree with this.

I am no Zach Randolph fan but I will say I like this move better than the Pistons clearing our Billups to bring in Gordon and Charlie.