REPORT: Bibby plans to re-sign?

WraithSentinel

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
there has been a vacuum of leadership, well documented how JJ is not that guy. there are others who can step into that role and Bibs can help mentor them. That is worth something . . . . . because I don't think Woody can do that.

I don't know if you can consider Bibby a leader. We've seen how nasty he can be with the coaches. That behavior ultimately kills the coach's authority over the team.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

there has been a vacuum of leadership, well documented how JJ is not that guy. there are others who can step into that role and Bibs can help mentor them. That is worth something . . . . . because I don't think Woody can do that.

Completely agree. We need to take this signing for what it's worth. Bibby provides us with good veteran leadership, something that is missing with our other players and especially our coach.

I can't think of another PG out there who can help fill this void and at least mentor Teague. I'd feel a lot more nervous starting the season with a Crawford/Teague combo at the point. Scares me to think about.....at least with Bibby we know what we're going to get, and yes I know not all of it is great but he has his strengths too.

I don't know if you can consider Bibby a leader. We've seen how nasty he can be with the coaches. That behavior ultimately kills the coach's authority over the team.

Actually I thought it was great when he called Woody out in the playoffs. I think it can help, because that at least got Woodson to think about how he was coaching. Woodson was the one setting Josh Smith up on the perimeter, so of course Bibby is going to pass to the open man. Probably the only time Woodson actually thought about his offense and that maybe he is the culprit. The two still obviously respect each other.

Remember fan is short for fanatic. It's amazing how we'll go out out our way to promote a guy we like and knock a guy we don't. There is little doubt that Josh was the most consistent player on this team if you consider the regular season and playoffs. JJ is my favorite Hawk ever but I'll admit that he was the most inconsistent. Bibby is just Bibby. Every positive he gives on offense is easily offset by his poor defense so any discussion of Bibby has to start there.

Even if his liabilities on defense offset his offense, which I don't agree with at all, what offset's his experience and leadership??

Actually I thought it was great when he called Woody out in the playoffs. I think it can help, because that at least got Woodson to think about how he was coaching. Woodson was the one setting Josh Smith up on the perimeter, so of course Bibby is going to pass to the open man. Probably the only time Woodson actually thought about his offense and that maybe he is the culprit. The two still obviously respect each other.

Good point. Bibby was quoted as saying "If you don't want me to pass him the ball, don't put him there! He's wide F#cking open!" Woodson then laughed and turned and walked away.

Those kind of remarks have to get Woody to relaize he needs to make adjustments in the offense.

Good point. Bibby was quoted as saying "If you don't want me to pass him the ball, don't put him there! He's wide F#cking open!" Woodson then laughed and turned and walked away.

Those kind of remarks have to get Woody to relaize he needs to make adjustments in the offense.

And interesting that Josh only had 1 attempt at a three for the rest of the playoffs . . .

I also saw this on ESPN last night, and my first thought is, AWESOME. I like Bibby and didn't want to replace him at the point. We now have a solid 6th man with Crawford.... and an even deadlier lineup if they go Bibby/Crawford/JJ/Smoove/Horf (Wishful thinking).

I have to wonder if they are going to experiment with Bibby/Crawford/JJ playing significant minutes together with Joe moving to the three. That would be a very interesting lineup.

Rondo, Rose, Mo Williams, Delonte West, Jameer will all be excited to play against Bibby. I'm sorry not trying to hate but what do peeps see in an aging Bibby? Dude is crazy boring to watch and mad slow. I'd hate to see Bibby as your leader/starting pg 3 yrs later. just make the starting line-up

bibby/teague

crawford

joe

j smith (ewww)

horford

woodson coaching again (ewwww)

I have to wonder if they are going to experiment with Bibby/Crawford/JJ playing significant minutes together with Joe moving to the three. That would be a very interesting lineup.

I bet we'll see that line-up some. Woody would play Bibs, Flip and Joe and the end of some games for offensive reasons last year, I can see Crawford jumping in there in late games situations instead of Flip.

A Bibby and Crawford backcourt is a travesty to the essence of basketball. The basketball gods would be rolling around in the clouds. It would trigger something in the space time continuum to cause James Naismith to die of unforeseen consequences that would have us die hard soccer fans.

Close enough when comparing a point guard to a power forward . . .

Irrelevant. Josh took two 3pt shots per game in the first round and only one 3pt shot the entire Conf Semi-Finals . . .

Close enough for a point guard and a power forward. Josh Smith also made bigger free throws in the decisive parts the games. But we're supposed to overlook that, right?

Why is Josh Smith attempting 30 free throws to Bibby's 3 free throws in a full series?

Was it because one was getting to the rim and the other just shot jumpers when we needed him to be more aggressive?

Or was it that one wasn't playing well (especially at the final 3 games in the Conf Semi-Finals) and had to sit on the bench while Flip Murray outplayed him?

Yep. Josh Smith was our best scorer throughout the entire playoffs . . .

And that's supposed to be a negative on Josh Smith? :laughing5:

He took 1.36 per playoff game played. Wow . . . but but he took soooo many!

So, I suppose he didn't make any moves to the basket? He was the only player not named Flip Murray that did it throughout the entire playoffs . . .

Let the hating begin . . .

You do realize that you're putting a power forward up there with guards who normally get more steals, right? Out of the top 20 steals leaders for the season, only 5 of them were forwards. And all of those played small forward. That's a great number for a power forward in comparison with guards.

:lol6: That 1.54 blocks per game puts Josh at #10 throughout the playoffs, he probably could have done better. But the next best player for the Hawks came in at #36 with .67. I know you expect Josh to get more than anyone; and not our center that you all love so much. Josh Smith's number was virtually the same as during the season, with no drop off. The same cannot be said for Al Horford who got less than half per game than he did throughout the season. Centers normally have more blocks per game than power forwards, except on our team. But that is forgiven because Al Horford is so beloved.

To sum it all up. Josh and Bibby were close in the first series (with a slight edge to Josh in my opinion, since Josh played better than Bibby in 4 of the 7), but Bibby stunk it up big time in the Conf. Semi-Finals, whereas Josh Smith was pretty good . . . so how in the world can Bibby be the best throughout when he failed to show up in the 2nd round?

Ok, when you compare this PF to PG in catagories it doens't make sinse for Josh because he thinks he is a guard by dribbling the ball down the court and proceeding to make a dumb pass. He shoots dumb three pointers that airball after we go on a nice 6-0 run and just totally kills the momentum. He gives up on defense when we are down by 10 or more. He whines EVERY single time he drives the lane. He jump shot is horrible. He free throw shooting is some of the worst in the league.

All Josh Smith should do is very simple. Catch the ball, take 1 dribble, slam the ball. That simple. I've seen him do it when he gets pissed off and I just think "huh, why doesn't he do this every time, he is good enough to but he chooses to hold back?" His numbers were down this year in a lot of catagories. It is time for Smith to stop being a baby and step up. He is capable of being a top force in this league if he could keep his head straight and stop making stupid basketball plays I wouldn't criticize him!

A Bibby and Crawford backcourt is a travesty to the essence of basketball. The basketball gods would be rolling around in the clouds. It would trigger something in the space time continuum to cause James Naismith to die of unforeseen consequences that would have us die hard soccer fans.

That's all fine and good. But why?

Ok, when you compare this PF to PG in catagories it doens't make sinse for Josh because he thinks he is a guard by dribbling the ball down the court and proceeding to make a dumb pass. He shoots dumb three pointers that airball after we go on a nice 6-0 run and just totally kills the momentum. He gives up on defense when we are down by 10 or more. He whines EVERY single time he drives the lane. He jump shot is horrible. He free throw shooting is some of the worst in the league.

All Josh Smith should do is very simple. Catch the ball, take 1 dribble, slam the ball. That simple. I've seen him do it when he gets pissed off and I just think "huh, why doesn't he do this every time, he is good enough to but he chooses to hold back?" His numbers were down this year in a lot of catagories. It is time for Smith to stop being a baby and step up. He is capable of being a top force in this league if he could keep his head straight and stop making stupid basketball plays I wouldn't criticize him!

And yet he was our best player throughout the playoffs . . . go figure!

• Premium Member
Way to disprove the stats that back his statement up ...

Ha ha.

I'm not really sure how to argue against someone who says that my argument is unfair because I made it. Talk about a discussion stopper...

Still waiting for an argument proving that Josh Smith was the best offensive player that uses something other than a cumulative stat rather than a per minute stat...

Hey, I'd be happy if someone would even make an non-statistical argument that doesn't use anecdotes.

(I prefer being wrong to being ignored).

Josh Smith is left wide open for a reason, lol. The worse are the street ball Smoove fans who think he was better than JJ in the playoffs but you see 2 and 3 guys guard JJ while 1 and sometimes nobody guards Smoove. Bibby understands the game alot more and plays very well off Joe and with Flip and yes Bibby was our only consistant player on offense in the playoffs.

We've improved at the guard position every year now.

First it was Anthony Johnson and Tyron Lue with Acie Law.

Then it was Mike Bibby with Law after the trade.

THen it was Bibby, Flip, and Law.

Now it's Bibby, Crawford, and Teague.

We may not be as loaded as some of those other wheeling and dealing teams in the league, but I must say we have definitely improved that position and now have some serious depth.

That would be our small ball lineup but certainly couldn't be our starting lineup because we would be way too small considering with Smoove and Horford at the 4/5 spot we need all the size on the floor we can get

Edited by BusBoyIsBack