• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks can find bargains in free agency

pimp

Few big men power forward/center types go unnoticed. It isn't like getting guards or small forwards. Teams like the Lakers,Celtics,Spurs grab up the bigs most of the time and we have to settle for the scraps. I get tired every year it's this way cap or no cap. Make a statement and go after a big for once. In today's game you need role big men since finding one elite big is hard. Teams like the Celtics have 2 bigs at center and power forwards while the Hawks have who? There is power in numbers and if the Hawks think they can find bigs in the scrap heap worth a darn their kidding themselves.

Name a big worth a damn on the either the Lakers, Celtics, Magic's or Cavaliers bench.

Having trouble?

Were the likes of Tony Battie, DJ Mbenga, Josh Powell, Ben Wallace, Joe Smith, Glen Davis, Brian Scalabrine any better than any of these FAs being mentioned by Sekou? Because if those guys are what you consider filet mignon and this current group is just scraps then my goodness we have zero hope.

I get seriously confused if people are looking for starters or bench role players during this offseason because the criticism of these guys is pretty harsh. Guess what, if any of these guys were so great we would never be able to afford them or they never would have been let go by their teams in the first place. If you want a starting big you are going to have to trade key parts to get him and no, SnT Marvin or trade Chills and Andersen's rights is not going to get it done. You are going to have to look at moving Joe, Josh and Horf to get the talent you guy's are craving back. Otherwise we can feel confident in our starting 5 and look to improve our depth with these solids FAs.

Few big men power forward/center types go unnoticed. It isn't like getting guards or small forwards. Teams like the Lakers,Celtics,Spurs grab up the bigs most of the time and we have to settle for the scraps. I get tired every year it's this way cap or no cap. Make a statement and go after a big for once. In today's game you need role big men since finding one elite big is hard. Teams like the Celtics have 2 bigs at center and power forwards while the Hawks have who? There is power in numbers and if the Hawks think they can find bigs in the scrap heap worth a darn their kidding themselves.

It's the nature of the beast. The Hawks can't compete with Boston or LA when it comes to FA's. That's not going to change. You're talking about the faces of the league. Organizations that always have a committment to winning. Just get used to it...

• Premium Member
It's the nature of the beast. The Hawks can't compete with Boston or LA when it comes to FA's. That's not going to change. You're talking about the faces of the league. Organizations that always have a committment to winning. Just get used to it...

The Lakers, true, but the C's have begun their downward descent; the Lakers were fortunate to have Jerry West in his hey-day who saw in Kobe what Kobe has become. Kobe still has a few years, but whether they will be able to find their next HoFer will be a question answered on its own. Being the face of the league is never as far removed from selecting 6th in the draft as one imagines. The Bulls not so very long ago were that face, and no longer; same for the Pistons, same for the Spurs.

So, I disagree. It will likely change, but for BOS much sooner... which perhaps is why they are so unapologetically desperate to land Sheed.

Agents and players aren't fools. They see the elevators going up and the elevators going down like anyone else. It's just a matter of their analysis of whether we have peaked or whether we're still going up, and that's going to vary by agent and player.

Btw, upon further review, I'm leaning toward the conclusion that Sekou's newest is a filler article he had in his back pocket for when he had a deadline but no story yet to report. Not that it matters how I'm leaning, but that's my take.

• Premium Member
Name a big worth a damn on the either the Lakers, Celtics, Magic's or Cavaliers bench.

Having trouble?

Were the likes of Tony Battie, DJ Mbenga, Josh Powell, Ben Wallace, Joe Smith, Glen Davis, Brian Scalabrine any better than any of these FAs being mentioned by Sekou? Because if those guys are what you consider filet mignon and this current group is just scraps then my goodness we have zero hope.

I get seriously confused if people are looking for starters or bench role players during this offseason because the criticism of these guys is pretty harsh. Guess what, if any of these guys were so great we would never be able to afford them or they never would have been let go by their teams in the first place. If you want a starting big you are going to have to trade key parts to get him and no, SnT Marvin or trade Chills and Andersen's rights is not going to get it done. You are going to have to look at moving Joe, Josh and Horf to get the talent you guy's are craving back. Otherwise we can feel confident in our starting 5 and look to improve our depth with these solids FAs.

Good Point! The way I see it, the Hawks are either looking for an upgrade of the first big man off the bench (currently ZaZa) or a more reliable option in the 2nd big man of the bench (currently Solo). Of the big men available via free agency, Rasheed 'might' be the only improvement over Zaza however there are several players that would be improvements over Solo.

Though several bloggers keep insisting, I don't believe Josh can play the 3 effectively.

• Premium Member

Wilcox is a quality back up... He's viewed as a disappointment because he never became a good starting Center, but the dude was efficient as heck in his role as backup early in his career... I'd seriously take him over Zaza, but ideally I hope we find a way to sign both

I can give you a guy who can score in the post and rebound for cheap and he is in great shape as well. I'll give you a hint he played here before and he does a little shimmy when he makes a key basket.

I can give you a guy who can score in the post and rebound for cheap and he is in great shape as well. I'll give you a hint he played here before and he does a little shimmy when he makes a key basket.

How do you know Toine' is in good shape? Even so, I don't think we need another PF shooting three's.

• Premium Member
........Btw, upon further review, I'm leaning toward the conclusion that Sekou's newest is a filler article he had in his back pocket for when he had a deadline but no story yet to report. Not that it matters how I'm leaning, but that's my take.

Newest blog from Sekou suggests differently. I guess Sekou really believes that if we're going to obtain a FA, it's going to be one of these guys.

Seeing how we will have to use an exception to get one of them, I'm inclined toward just saying "no." The cost/benefit ratio just doesn't make sense.