• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Bibby signs! 3yrs/18mil - per AJC

ryandauwalker

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kudos to both sides in this deal. This is a steal of a deal for Rick Sund, and this deal ensures stability at the point guard position for the Hawks. This is also a good sign for Mike Bibby. Taking this kind of pay cut shows that he wants to be in Atlanta and continue on with something that he is a major part of. Three years is a great length for this contract as well, because if Jeff Teague is to be the future at the position, this should give him enough time to get his feet wet and learn behind Bibby.

Looking at the stats, the Hawks will be even more of a jump shooting team this season. Based on the stats at 82games.com, Mike Bibby shot jumpers 91% of the time and had a .501 eFG% on those shots. 11.6 PPG came off jumpers, and 68% of those jumpers were assisted. Joe Johnson shot jumpers 80% of the time with an eFG% of .459. 13.2 PPG came off jumpers, and 41% of those were assisted. Jamal Crawford shot jumpers 86% of the time with an eFG% of .446. 12.1 PPG cam of jumpers, and 39% of those were assisted. I'd challenge anyone to find a better jump shooting trio at guard than what the Hawks will have. I think this also ensures that Jeff Teague will get consistent playing time, because he's the only guard on the team that is a penetrator. Flip Murray got into the lane a lot last season, and that's going to be the big difference between he and Jamal Crawford. Jamal is by far the better jump shooter though. I think you will see Teague play a few minutes just as a change of pace, and we will probably see a lot of sets where Joe, Jamal, and Mike are all on the floor at the same time.

Good points on the eFG% !

Marvin Williams had a eFG% of .502 but I do not know what it was for just jump shots alone. What is your source to find that out ?

• Moderators
Great deal, now the only question is what the deal looks like. Is it flat, inclining, or declining? If its declining then this is one hell of a deal. The other options its still a good deal.

If it is declining, it is a better deal for Bibby, too. More money in his pocket more quickly = more value.

Guest Walter

What a nice, set, versatile backcourt. Sund really did a remarkable job with this so far. Joe Johnson at least shouldn't have to be played 41 MPG with Crawford's scoring. I don't know where we are relative to the cap and luxury tax. I'm curious what we can afford to pay MW and ZaZa, still sign Andersen, and avoid the luxury tax the next few years. I have to admit it, even without the additional superstar I believed we needed, this theoretical lineup is more than a contender IMO.

W

That is excellent news, great job by Sund and kudos to Bibby for accepting a very reasonable deal to help us out financially. Now let's solidify the front court and get these guys into camp working with each other soon.

It's going to be interesting to see what Atlanta might be able to get in a sign and trade deal with Josh Childress. I'm hoping they can land some depth in the front court. I would think that Cleveland will make a big push for him considering that they lost out on both Ron Artest and Trevor Ariza. I'm not sure they have what the Hawks need though.

• Moderators

If we resign Marvin, Zaza and David Andersen then this is mission accomplished as far as I am concerned.

If it is a choice between DA and S&T for Bowen/2nd then I am letting Chillz walk.

Wow. That's less than Luke Ridnour got a few years ago.

That's saying a mountain right there.

I like the deal. As a former PG myself, I see what Bibby does for the team. He is fun to watch play, he's a 3-point threat, and he is a vocal leader on the floor and in the locker room.

My buddy just e-mailed me and the term "Nelly-Ball" came into play. I think he's right...our guard rotation might be indicative of us turning up the tempo. The question is: if Woody doesn't see it that way, how long does he last in 09-10?

Good points on the eFG% !

Marvin Williams had a eFG% of .502 but I do not know what it was for just jump shots alone. What is your source to find that out ?

82games.com

Marvin had an eFG% of .449 on jump shots, with 77% of them assisted and 6.1 PPG coming off jumpers. He shot jumpers 66% of the time.

Al Horford's eFG% on jumpers was .408 while shooting 56% jumpers. Now, Al didn't range out to far on his jumpers.

By far the worst jump shooter among the starters was Josh Smith, whose eFG% on jumpers was .349 while shooting 47% jump shots.

What a nice, set, versatile backcourt. Sund really did a remarkable job with this so far. Joe Johnson at least shouldn't have to be played 41 MPG with Crawford's scoring. I don't know where we are relative to the cap and luxury tax. I'm curious what we can afford to pay MW and ZaZa, still sign Andersen, and avoid the luxury tax the next few years. I have to admit it, even without the additional superstar I believed we needed, this theoretical lineup is more than a contender IMO.

W

I can tell you for near certain that we can get these deals done and still be at last years level of spending, and $4-5M shy of the tax.

I don't have my spreadsheet in front of me, but if you can start Marvin at $7, Zaza at $5, DA at $3, my previous calculations indicate we will be just fine. And that was when I was projecting Bibby to be making $8M this year. I like Flip, but I think we'll need to let him walk so that Teague can get minutes. Or if Teague can help us get what we need in the frontcourt via trade, sign Flip as the fourth guard and roll with that.

Getting Bibby at such a good price makes it even more imperative that we finally sign DA. I feel good about Zaza, and we have Marvin by the shorthairs. Only thing I'm worried about is Marvin taking the QO, a very real possibility. If Sund can avoid that, and get Marvin signed to a good deal, he's a master.