• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What Kind of Minutes Will Teague Get Now?

BusBoyIsBack

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowing Woodson, Teague won't be getting much playing time at all. He'll figure out a reason to put him in his doghouse and let him waste away on the bench in favor of Flip Murray or some other veteran.

Are you trying to win now, develop Teague for the future or maybe some combination of both? The reason I ask is because I would bet my house that Flip would ABUSE Teague right now in a head to head matchup. That is no knock on Teague but Flip is too strong and too experienced to let a young fella like Teague check him. Heck, there are plenty of veteran guards that can't check Flip when he's on his game.

I can see some value in letting Teague get some significant minutes this season but I can also see how that could possibly make us a worse team....at least in the short run. I KNOW that a 4-guard rotation of Bibby, JJ, Crawford, Flip would be very difficult for our opponents to deal with. Add in Teague and take away Flip and it is still formidable...as long as everyone stays healthy.

Bottom line for me is that I like Flip, I appreciate what he did for us last year and I'd love to bring him back...for the right price. Unfortunately for Flip, I don't see a likely scenario under which we fortify our frontcourt AND bring him back at the money he can likely get on the open market.

To me, the development of Teague is not a HUGE concern going into this season. If he is ready to play, play him. If he's not, don't.

Name one other playoff caliber team who will be COUNTING ON a rookie playing significant minutes for them next year. The only possible one I can think of is LAC and that would be because Griffin had a SPECTACULAR year as the #1 overall pick in conjunction with Baron Davis staying healthy and returning to his All Star form. If Yao were in the mix, I don't think the Clips would have a legit shot at the playoffs but with HOU scrambling and with PHO possibly looking to rebuild, the 8th seed in the West could be up for grabs.

Edited by Traceman

Orlando made it to the Finals relying pretty heavily on Courtney Lee. He played 25 minutes a game on the season.

True but they weren't counting on him. I think that's the point that Traceman was making and I agree with it. It's great if your rookie can do that for you but I'd say more often than not that they can't help a playoff team in their first year in the league.

• Moderators
True but they weren't counting on him. I think that's the point that Traceman was making and I agree with it. It's great if your rookie can do that for you but I'd say more often than not that they can't help a playoff team in their first year in the league.

With Bibby, Crawford and JJ, we will be counting less on Teague or Flip than Orl did on Lee.

The last time we played Orlando Lee was way off. The Hawks kept leaving him open and he kept shooting and missing. Van Gundy wouldn't pull him and ended up playing him 35 minutes. Lee finished 3-13 from the field, 2-8 from 3. He didn't get to the foul line once and had 3 turnovers.

If he had a game like that with Woody as a coach there is no way he would get 35 minutes and there is certainly no way he would play much, if any, the next game. As it was he played 31 the next game and had another poor game.

• Moderators

God willing!

Look at it this way:

2008-09

Bibby: 34.7 mpg, 16.3 PER, TS% .544

JJ: 39.5 mpg, 18.2 PER, TS% .534

Crawford: 38 mpg, 15.7 PER (7th highest in career), TS% .545 (3rd highest in career)

(((((((Flip: 24.7 mpg, 14.7 PER (near career high), TS% .543 (career high)

96 minutes available at PG/SG.

All 96 minutes would be taken if Bibby, JJ and Crawford play 80% of what they did last year at a guard spot and Flip and/or Teague play zero minutes.

Barring a major injury, there is no way Teague or Flip gets as much responsibility on Atlanta's team next season as Lee had last year, IMO.

Woodson is practically under a mandate to play JT. Notice all the information coming out of the Hawks F/O before the draft. All we heard about was how much more involved Woodson was in player evaluation and selection. This means Woodson now has to put Teague on the court. Sund isn't going to tolerate Woody not playing his first pick as Hawks GM.

Sund is going to hold Woodson accountable for his actions (finally) and I hope the ASG backs Sund up with that decision.

So my guess is that JT gets between 10 and 16 a night depending upon matchups and how quickly he's developing.

I agree that Mo is the odd-man out in the rotation- which is fine by me.

Yeah I agree and hope it's true. I was a huge fan of Teague at Wake. I can't stand that square Mike Woodson, but play the guy. Let him make mistakes, he'll learn things quickly

God willing!

Look at it this way:

2008-09

Bibby: 34.7 mpg, 16.3 PER, TS% .544

JJ: 39.5 mpg, 18.2 PER, TS% .534

Crawford: 38 mpg, 15.7 PER (7th highest in career), TS% .545 (3rd highest in career)

(((((((Flip: 24.7 mpg, 14.7 PER (near career high), TS% .543 (career high)

96 minutes available at PG/SG.

All 96 minutes would be taken if Bibby, JJ and Crawford play 80% of what they did last year at a guard spot and Flip and/or Teague play zero minutes.

Barring a major injury, there is no way Teague or Flip gets as much responsibility on Atlanta's team next season as Lee had last year, IMO.

True, on the other hand, with Crawford on board as the backup 2, we can play Joe quite closer to 35 a game (where he probably should be considering how worn he's looked the past couple seasons) and since Crawford is in fact a super-sub on this team, I'd hope Woody plays him closer to Manu-Ginobili minutes regardless of what happens with Teague.

• Moderators
True, on the other hand, with Crawford on board as the backup 2, we can play Joe quite closer to 35 a game (where he probably should be considering how worn he's looked the past couple seasons) and since Crawford is in fact a super-sub on this team, I'd hope Woody plays him closer to Manu-Ginobili minutes regardless of what happens with Teague.

I was assuming Bibby, Crawford and JJ cut their minutes down to 80% of last year's total and that still left zero minutes for anyone else -- although if JJ plays SF consistently that would free up some time.

For JJ 80% of 39 minutes is 31.2 mpg. For Crawford, that would mean a similar drop to just above 30 mpg.

So unless JJ is playing major minutes at SF, that reduction is already factored in and there is next to no playing time for Flip or Teague.

Orlando made it to the Finals relying pretty heavily on Courtney Lee. He played 25 minutes a game on the season.

Yeah, but Lee was not even in the rotation when the season began. He was behind Pietrus, Bogans and Reddick on the depth chart at SG. Then Pietrus got hurt, Bogans got hurt, Nelson got hurt and Lee got his chance. Next thing you know, Pietrus is out for an extended period, Bogans is traded for Lue to help fill in for Nelson and Lee is outplaying Reddick. He goes from 4th on the depth chart to starter. Lee took advantage of his opportunity and played his way into the starting SG job but there is no way ORL came into the season counting on him.

• Premium Member
Yeah, but Lee was not even in the rotation when the season began. He was behind Pietrus, Bogans and Reddick on the depth chart at SG. Then Pietrus got hurt, Bogans got hurt, Nelson got hurt and Lee got his chance. Next thing you know, Pietrus is out for an extended period, Bogans is traded for Lue to help fill in for Nelson and Lee is outplaying Reddick. He goes from 4th on the depth chart to starter. Lee took advantage of his opportunity and played his way into the starting SG job but there is no way ORL came into the season counting on him.

:offtopic2: but that Pietrus is one helluva player.

Courtney Lee wasn't running the point. Jameer, all star, was. Big difference.

Lee had much less competition for minutes than Teague does and it's not close. Whether they were relying on him or not he played 25 minutes per game on a team that made it to the finals.

it isn't like he got off to a hot start either. He shot 32% in 12 games in November. I wonder how much he would have played in december with Woody as coach.

Courtney Lee wasn't running the point. Jameer, all star, was. Big difference.

How is there a big difference? All our pg has to do is dribble past half court, pass to JJ and spot up. it isn't like there is an actual offense to run.

How is there a big difference? All our pg has to do is dribble past half court, pass to JJ and spot up. it isn't like there is an actual offense to run.

Orlando didn't make it to the Finals having a rookie point guard running the show. Jameer did quite well in that role when he was healthy, once hurt, Hedo took over the responsibilities. It's true that in the Hawks current offense, or whatever, the PG's role isn't as important. Given. But there's more to it than just dribbling past half court and passing off. There are fast break opportunities sprinkled in there.

Besides, with JJ forcing doubles everytime down due to our personnel, passing off and spotting up plays right into what Bibby does well, which is shooting.

• Premium Member

lol I have to agree. You could have Bryant Reeves come out of retirement and be the starting Pg for our offense. Its just one iso set after another.