• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

This team needs at least one more significant addition to the 08-09 roster

sturt

• Premium Member

As Sekou noted recently, there are a lot of guys who in years past seemed to be the cream of the FA crop and significant additions to their new teams' rosters... but who, after all was said and done, whether b/c of injury or whatever, didn't actually pan out to be nearly as significant as thought.

Would Gortat or Sheed have been significant? Possibly.

Would Bruce Bowen represent a significant addition? Almost certainly not.

Would David AndersEn? Not if he's a replacement for ZaZa... by definition that's not an addition. If otoh, he's an addition, possibly, but of course, hard to say with any certainty.

It concerns me that I'm not hearing any other names. But at the same time, I have to allow for Sund being good at holding his cards close to his vest, and hope that there's a Chilz SnT that will bring us a big who can, at minimum, make an impact on the team similar to how Flip did this past season.

Eventually, we may find that while BOS, ORL and CLE make splashy moves, perhaps we can generate 1-13 depth that, while maybe not overwhelming, keeps us from suffering too much due to injuries through the year, and allows us to keep fresh bodies on the floor enough through the regular season that our best aren't beaten up like other teams' as we enter the post season.

Yeah, I know... "what about Woody"... but it's a plausible theory except for that... and who knows, maybe this will be the year that Woody does what he says he knows he needs to do.

As Sekou noted recently, there are a lot of guys who in years past seemed to be the cream of the FA crop and significant additions to their new teams' rosters... but who, after all was said and done, whether b/c of injury or whatever, didn't actually pan out to be nearly as significant as thought.

Would Gortat or Sheed have been significant? Possibly.

Would Bruce Bowen represent a significant addition? Almost certainly not.

Would David AndersEn? Not if he's a replacement for ZaZa... by definition that's not an addition. If otoh, he's an addition, possibly, but of course, hard to say with any certainty.

It concerns me that I'm not hearing any other names. But at the same time, I have to allow for Sund being good at holding his cards close to his vest, and hope that there's a Chilz SnT that will bring us a big who can, at minimum, make an impact on the team similar to how Flip did this past season.

Eventually, we may find that while BOS, ORL and CLE make splashy moves, perhaps we can generate 1-13 depth that, while maybe not overwhelming, keeps us from suffering too much due to injuries through the year, and allows us to keep fresh bodies on the floor enough through the regular season that our best aren't beaten up like other teams' as we enter the post season.

Yeah, I know... "what about Woody"... but it's a plausible theory except for that... and who knows, maybe this will be the year that Woody does what he says he knows he needs to do.

Good points. I'm already thinking we're improving our depth, something that we needed to address without a doubt.

I may be in the majority here, but I think Orlando may have gotten worse. Essentially, they gave up Turk, Gortat, and Courtney Lee for VC. Sure it appears an improvement, because VC is a household name and what-not, but I dunno. Stan is going to have to be a master manipulator to keep those guys happy. Rashard, Jameer, VC, Dwight. There's only one ball.

• Premium Member
Good points. I'm already thinking we're improving our depth, something that we needed to address without a doubt.

I may be in the majority here, but I think Orlando may have gotten worse. Essentially, they gave up Turk, Gortat, and Courtney Lee for VC. Sure it appears an improvement, because VC is a household name and what-not, but I dunno. Stan is going to have to be a master manipulator to keep those guys happy. Rashard, Jameer, VC, Dwight. There's only one ball.

And that's the other important thing...

As long as these other guys in front of us are having to give something valuable they had in order to get something they presume will be more valuable... and... as long as we keep adding to our club without having given up anything we didn't already have (vis-a-vis, Speedy and Josh, and to a degree, Acie)... it's quite possible that we gain on them.

Boston isn't losing that much, but then again, whereas we remain a team whose players are improving with age, theirs is a team that's becoming more vulnerable with age.

The question becomes, who could the Atlanta Hawks add via free agency that would have helped them crack the top 3 in the East? I think the answer is nobody. It's been well established this free agent class was mediocre so free spending wasn't likely to make us any better. If Sund can swing a trade that makes us better, great but who would we have to give up?

Joe and Al are the core building pieces. Sure, in theory, you could trade Joe, but who could we get that's nearly equal the value? Who could you get for Al that's going to have as much potential or is a better player now, is relatively young and you can guarantee will be around for the long term? Perhaps you could have landed someone like Bosh (prior to the Turkoglu signing), but there's no guarantee he'd re-sign.

So that comes to Marvin and Josh. You can't trade Josh because nobody wants to pay the trade kicker so you're pretty much stuck there. Which leaves a sign and trade for Marvin. Marvin is 23, made strides with his offensive game and might be your best on-the-ball defender. The only legit reason to trade Marvin is if you feel his injury history constitutes injury prone-ness and not coincidence. You'd have to get someone you can guarantee is a better fit for this team and I don't know what that person is.

Sund has done a lot with what little he has been given in his tenure with the Hawks. He turned Chill into Flip and Mo who were critical at times. He turned Speedy and Acie into Crawford. If we re-sign Zaza we're better than we were last year. If we re-sign Zaza and bring in Andersen than we are even better still. This isn't a magical world where franchise changing moves happen overnight, especially with an ownership group like ASG. Sund has done a commendable job and if we get the Zaza thing done, we've improved from our 2008-09 team.

The question becomes, who could the Atlanta Hawks add via free agency that would have helped them crack the top 3 in the East? I think the answer is nobody. It's been well established this free agent class was mediocre so free spending wasn't likely to make us any better. If Sund can swing a trade that makes us better, great but who would we have to give up?

I do believe that if we had the ability to do so financially that Artest would have been a guy that could help us crack the top 3 because he could lock down Pierce, LBJ (as much as possible), and VC. While I appreciate what Marvin gives us defensively he's no Artest.

• Premium Member
I do believe that if we had the ability to do so financially that Artest would have been a guy that could help us crack the top 3 because he could lock down Pierce, LBJ (as much as possible), and VC. While I appreciate what Marvin gives us defensively he's no Artest.

We don't need more scoring but rather more defense especially in the post and adding a player like Chris Anderson would certainly achieve that! I also think that we should sign Childress if he is willing to play for 5 million per season or less. Our bench was way to thin last year when injury hit us which caused us to lose to teams like New jersey, Indiana, Clippers etc.. Chris Anderson should not be that expensive so we should at least investigate the possibility of bring him over. Denver is already over the luxury tax threashold and probably would be reluctant to sigh him for anything over 3 mil per season.

I agree that he is not Artest defensively, but he is younger and is already better than Artest offensively. Plus, I think Sekou makes a great point in saying that he doesn't see anyone out there that has the kind of temperment that Marvin has and would be willing to accept the role that Marvin has on this team.

We don't need more scoring but rather more defense especially in the post and adding a player like Chris Anderson would certainly achieve that! I also think that we should sign Childress if he is willing to play for 5 million per season or less. Our bench was way to thin last year when injury hit us which caused us to lose to teams like New jersey, Indiana, Clippers etc.. Chris Anderson should not be that expensive so we should at least investigate the possibility of bring him over. Denver is already over the luxury tax threashold and probably would be reluctant to sigh him for anything over 3 mil per season.

I'd love it if we could sign CA, he could definitely help make us a better team but I'd also want to sign either Zaza or DA to compliment CA.

I agree that he is not Artest defensively, but he is younger and is already better than Artest offensively. Plus, I think Sekou makes a great point in saying that he doesn't see anyone out there that has the kind of temperment that Marvin has and would be willing to accept the role that Marvin has on this team.

There is certainly a lot to be said about the role that Marvin is willing to play and his temperament. In prior years I wouldn't have thought Artest could play that role but after seeing how he was with the Rockets I think he could have done that and he'll probably have to do that as the 3rd option with the Lakers. Marvin really needs to work on his core and getting stronger so that he can do some of the things that Artest can do defensively though.

• Premium Member
I'd love it if we could sign CA, he could definitely help make us a better team but I'd also want to sign either Zaza or DA to compliment CA.

We own Zaza's bird rights so signing him should be just a matter of making the decision to sign him which would not impact our ability to sign the Birdman. Signing the Birdman should be our top priority in that he would change the wholde dynamics of our defense. We would become the most athletic team by far in the league and would no longer have trouble with gabage centers like Brendon Haywood or Andrew Bogut

Well there is still the trade deadline. Most of these moves during free agency and the offseason don't work out. Somebody will be looking to cut bate and admit a mistake. That's when we can go for the homerun. My early eye is on the Stoudemire, Wade, Brand and McGrady situations. One of those 4 is bound to come available. In the case of McGrady and Brand if they come back healthy we could get them for our spare parts who are on good contracts.

I think making a move right now to try and crack the top 3 would be a mistake. This team needs to grow from within.

Sure a S&T for Chillz I'd be all for, however I think our time is 1 to 2 seasons from now. Garnett will be close to retiring and the Cleveland situation is volatile.

If Sund can extend Marvin, Horford, and Joe I don't see any reason why the Hawks can't be the favorites in the east in 2011.

It is true, for all the greatness that Artest has on defense he fancies himself a superstar on offense. He freelances be it shooting the ball, trying to takeover PG duties or just generally freelancing and doing whatever he feels works. Marvin works within our offense and brings it on defense, Artest OTOH will over assert himself on offense and try to dribble through 3 defenders before putting up an awkward shot despite having his teammates open.

Unless there is a clearcut leader on the team to hold him in check he will go off the reservation. Houston was Yao's team and when they acquired Artest, Yao was very vocal about it and how Artest is going to have to be on his best behaviour on their team. Artest didn't take kindly to it at first but fell in line for the most part in the beginning. This didn't stop him though from freelancing at times and overlooking Yao in post opportunities in favor of a contested 20 footer. It wasn't rampant and he helped them more than he hurt them considering their slow paced, structured offense but keep in mind this was a contract year for Ron and he still showed flashes of the old him.

Edited by CrawfulToCrawesome

It is true, for all the greatness that Artest has on defense he fancies himself a superstar on offense. He freelances be it shooting the ball, trying to takeover PG duties or just generally freelancing and doing whatever he feels works. Marvin works within our offense and brings it on defense, Artest OTOH will over assert himself on offense and try to dribble through 3 defenders before putting up an awkward shot despite having his teammates open.

Unless there is a clearcut leader on the team to hold him in check he will go off the reservation. Houston was Yao's team and when they acquired Artest, Yao was very vocal about it and how Artest is going to have to be on his best behaviour on their team. Artest didn't take kindly to it at first but fell in line for the most part in the beginning. This didn't stop him though from freelancing at times and overlooking Yao in post opportunities in favor of a contested 20 footer. It wasn't rampant and he helped them more than he hurt them considering their slow paced, structured offense but keep in mind this was a contract year for Ron and he still showed flashes of the old him.

Which is why he's not a good fit in Atlanta. But a perfect fit in LA. They have two. Phil and Kobe.

Call it a hunch but I believe Sund has a plan for obtaining another big along with Zaza and it is not AndersEn. Alot of folks here have seized upon these vague european articles as proof AndersEn is likely to join us. I still have doubts about the veracity of these reports. The mystery big is likely to be someone we have not given much thought to or heard much media noise about.

With the reasonable Bibby signing, we're in great shape to make a couple of moves.

Chil for Amir Johnson / 2010 second

Sign David Andersen for 3@$9M

Sign Dice.

Let Zaza go, but bring in Dice who is a big upgrade. Andersen might even be an upgrade over Zaza.

Sign Flip 2@$5M and a couple more to min contracts.

Horf / Andersen / Morris

Smoove / Dice / Johnson

MW / Mo

JJ / Crawford / Flip

Bibby / Teague

The free agency signing period hasn't started yet so it is a bit early to be burying Orlando. Vince has been putting up JJ numbers for years, including last year. He is way better than Turk and it's not close. Turk has only had maybe one or two years better than Marvin's season this year.

Petrius and Nelson were hurt much of the season. Gortat is obviously a valuable player but when Howard is healthy there aren't going to be many minutes for him anyway.

The Hawks need help in the frontcourt badly. The Hawks are undersized inside and were a poor defensive rebounding team this past year. They need to address that if they are going to make up any ground on Orlando.

Edited by exodus

The free agency signing period hasn't started yet so it is a bit early to be burying Orlando. Vince has been putting up JJ numbers for years, including last year. He is way better than Turk and it's not close. Turk has only had maybe one or two years better than Marvin's season this year.

Petrius and Nelson were hurt much of the season. Gortat is obviously a valuable player but when Howard is healthy there aren't going to be many minutes for him anyway.

The Hawks need help in the frontcourt badly. The Hawks are badly undersized inside and were a poor defensive rebounding team this past year. They need to address that if they are going to make up any ground on Orlando.

I hear ya. I'm not burying them, I do think they will be a Top 4 team. However, 57 wins is a lot. It may be tought to match. I should have worded my post differently. I think losing Gortat, and especially Courtney Lee, hurts them in the future. Perhaps not so much next year.

I hear ya. I'm not burying them, I do think they will be a Top 4 team. However, 57 wins is a lot. It may be tought to match. I should have worded my post differently. I think losing Gortat, and especially Courtney Lee, hurts them in the future. Perhaps not so much next year.

The one reason why I think it would be hard for them to match that win total again is because they gave up two starters and quality bench depth to add VC and Ryan Anderson. If they go with a starting lineup of maybe Nelson/VC/Pietrus/Lewis/Howard that leaves their bench with only AJ/Redick/Anderson. That's not exactly a stable second unit and is especially thinner in the frontcourt. They are already pushing Luxury tax so it remains to be seen who exactly they could add to the frontcourt to help.