• Raised $440 of $700 target

TAKE A BOW BILLY KNIGHT

NJHAWK

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
I don't think saying BK is better then Elgin Baylor is really a feather in his cap. Baylor may get the nod for worst GM of all time. BK was bad, just not that bad.

No doubt that any comparison to Elgin Baylor is at best a backhanded compliment or more likely damning with faint praise. I am just pointing out that this isn't unique. I suspect if we look at BK's predecessor he whiffed on quite a few first rounders, like the four year run of Stacey Augmon over Terrell Brandon, Adam Keefe over Robert Horry, Rumeal Robinson over Tyrone Hill, and Doug Edwards over Sam Cassell (and several other players in between who were much better than Edwards but less notable than Cassell).

Another recent example of a team doing this is: Rafael Araujo over Andre Iguodala, Andris Biedrins and Al Jefferson; Charlie Villanueva over Andrew Bynum & Danny Granger; and Andrea Bargnani over LaMarcus Aldridge & Brandon Roy. (This was two Babcock whiffs combined with a Colangelo miss).

Another is Memphis' run of consecutive top first round picks with:

MEM Hakim Warrick over David Lee, Jarrett Jack, and Nate Robinson

MEM Marcus Banks over David West & Luke Ridnour

MEM Drew Gooden over Amare Stoudamire & Caron Butler

MEM Shane Battier over Joe Johnson & Richard Jefferson

MEM Stromile Swift over Mike Miller, Joel Przybilla, and Jamal Crawford

MEM Steve Francis over Baron Davis, Lamar Odom, Andre Miller, Shawn Marion and Richard Hamilton

MEM Mike Bibby over Vince Carter & Dirk Nowitzki

MEM Antonio Daniels over Tracy McGrady & Tim Thomas

Just saying it isn't a unique circumstance.

Edited by AHF

• Premium Member

Give me two of BK's most egregious screw ups and I promise you I can find something as bad or worse from some of the better thought of GMs in the league.

Give me two of BK's most egregious screw ups and I promise you I can find something as bad or worse from some of the better thought of GMs in the league.

I sense a challenge coming on! (Not from me, I'm indfferent on BK)...

This could be interesting.

• Moderators

The two worst moves are obviously Shelden Williams over Brandon Roy and Marvin Williams over Chris Paul/Deron Williams. So I'd start there for making any argument.

The two worst moves are obviously Shelden Williams over Brandon Roy and Marvin Williams over Chris Paul/Deron Williams. So I'd start there for making any argument.

Doing it in consecutive drafts with consecutive high picks is why BK gets trashed.

The 2005 draft was seen as the best pg draft since Kidd came out and we badly needed a pg so we draft another forward.

The Shelden promise was reported even before the NBA combine even though he wasn't seen by hardly anyone but BK as a top 10 pick. The 2006 offseason was one of the worst i can remember.

Edited by exodus

• Premium Member

Joe Dumars:

Darko over Melo

Billups/AI Trade

Firing Flip Saunders

Joe Dumars:

Darko over Melo

Billups/AI Trade

Firing Flip Saunders

That is just ridiculous. It was clear that Detroit wasn't going to beat Boston or Cleveland with the team they had so Dumars decided to clear cap space with the Billups trade. There is no way that can be compared to BK's blown picks.

Under Flip Detroits defense went downhill and they couldn't close the deal in the conference finals. Again that can't be compared to taking a bust over an All-Star.

BK doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence as Dumars. Dumars won a title and had a long string of appearances in the conference finals. BK has never had a winning season.

Edited by exodus

• Premium Member
That is just ridiculous. It was clear that Detroit wasn't going to beat Boston or Cleveland with the team they had so Dumars decided to clear cap space with the Billups trade. There is no way that can be compared to BK's blown picks.

Under Flip Detroits defense went downhill and they couldn't close the deal in the conference finals. Again that can't be compared to taking a bust over an All-Star.

He cleared the cap space then used it all up a few months later. Yeah they got younger but even Joe admitted that the Pistons are still not in a position to compete with Boston or the Cavs.

Fired Flip then turned around and fired Flip's replacement a year later.

Could you imagine the fan response had BK made these same miscalculations?

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Joe, Marv, Al, Bibby, Smoove Coach Mike Woodson. That is the starting lineup of the 47 win team last year isnt it? Which of those players did Sund aquire?

Edited by NJHAWK

• Premium Member
Joe, Marv, Al, Bibby, Smoove Coach Mike Woodson. That is the starting lineup of the 47 win team last year isnt it? Which of those players did Sund aquire?

Joe? No

Marv? No

Al? No

Smoove? No

Bibby? No

Zaza? No

hmmmmm.... something is not adding up here.

It doesn't matter. sund was the GM. BK wasn't.

It shouldn't come as a surprise that the most productive player we had per dollar was Flip Murray. He also had the best +/- on the team by far.

click

It doesn't matter. sund was the GM. BK wasn't.

It shouldn't come as a surprise that the most productive player we had per dollar was Flip Murray. He also had the best +/- on the team by far.

click

Must be why Sund rushed to sign him back.

He cleared the cap space then used it all up a few months later. Yeah they got younger but even Joe admitted that the Pistons are still not in a position to compete with Boston or the Cavs.

Fired Flip then turned around and fired Flip's replacement a year later.

Could you imagine the fan response had BK made these same miscalculations?

The fans would be ecstatic if they had a championship and a string of conference finals appearaces.

Must be why Sund rushed to sign him back.

Sund traded BK's garbage for a 20 ppg scorer, drafted another combo guard and resigned Bibby. We don't need Flip to bail us out now as we did so often this past season.

Without Flip the Hawks easily could have had another losing season.

Sund traded BK's garbage for a 20 ppg scorer, drafted another combo guard and resigned Bibby. We don't need Flip to bail us out now as we did so often this past season.

Without Flip the Hawks easily could have had another losing season.

We needed Flip and Mo because Sund muffed up the Chills talks and he bolted for Greece. If Flip can turn a losing team into a team that wins 10 games over .500 then why hasnt anybody signed him yet. Every lottery team would want a guy who can turn a loser into a winner, lmfao.

We needed Flip and Mo because Sund muffed up the Chills talks and he bolted for Greece. If

Childress going to Greece was a lucky break. The Hawks needed guys who can shoot from the outside and create their own shot. Childress could do neihter. He is just a cherry picker that doesn't play D.

Flip can turn a losing team into a team that wins 10 games over .500 then why hasnt anybody signed him yet. Every lottery team would want a guy who can turn a loser into a winner, lmfao.

The free agent signing period is only two days old genius. Bibby and Zaza haven't even officially signed yet.

Using your logic why has BK been unemployed for a year? LMAO

• Premium Member
Doing it in consecutive drafts with consecutive high picks is why BK gets trashed.

The 2005 draft was seen as the best pg draft since Kidd came out and we badly needed a pg so we draft another forward.

The Shelden promise was reported even before the NBA combine even though he wasn't seen by hardly anyone but BK as a top 10 pick. The 2006 offseason was one of the worst i can remember.

The Fact that there was a promise made to Shelden's agent (Joe's agent) Seems to make people think worse of the situation. At the time, Shelden was the best big in his draft class (after Aldridge). Hell, he still might be. The thing is that in the NBA, rarely can you trade for a Big. Not a good one.. and we needed a big. Everybody knew it and BK couldn't afford to go Rudy Gay. People always mention Brandon Roy, but Roy snubbed us twice... because his agent was Shelden's agent (JJ's Agent) and he also had a promise from PTL. I think people take promises to strongly. Didn't Blake have a promise? Didn't Hansbrough have a promise? Didn't Jennings have a promise?

The Fact that there was a promise made to Shelden's agent (Joe's agent) Seems to make people think worse of the situation. At the time, Shelden was the best big in his draft class (after Aldridge). Hell, he still might be.

WTF

Shelden might not be in the NBA next season. There isn't much demand for a "big" that has a standing reach 4 inches shorter than Marvin, lacks a post game and can't block shots.