• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What should Sund offer Marvelous?

sturt

• Premium Member

My take...

I would want to give Marvin something substantial enough that he doesn't automatically take the QO.

Preference would be to give him 2 years in the $16 mil range. This is better than the QO, and gives both sides a chance next summer to work out an extension before he would go UFA the following summer.

Ordinarily, I'd be willing to go more years, counterbalanced with less money at the beginning, or with minimal raises, or both... but in Marvin's case, I don't think that's helpful. If he doesn't have higher expectations of himself as he matures, that's not productive for him or the team.

• Premium Member
My take...

I would want to give Marvin something substantial enough that he doesn't automatically take the QO.

Preference would be to give him 2 years in the $16 mil range. This is better than the QO, and gives both sides a chance next summer to work out an extension before he would go UFA the following summer.

Ordinarily, I'd be willing to go more years, counterbalanced with less money at the beginning, or with minimal raises, or both... but in Marvin's case, I don't think that's helpful. If he doesn't have higher expectations of himself as he matures, that's not productive for him or the team.

If you sign him, you lock him up longterm... What sense is their in signing him to a short contract? if he blows up (unlikely as that may be) we are screwed

My take...

3 years/$25M. His back injury makes me nervous.

I'd go $40-45 million over 5 seasons. The reason being is that he's an ascending player in this league, and he fits what the Hawks want to do because of his skill set and his temperment. I don't think his expectations of himself is an issue. There are some players who are content with not being the main guy, and I don't think that means they expect less from themselves than they should. Pau Gasol is a perfect example. He was asked to be the guy in Memphis, and it was beyond obvious that he was more comfortable being the side kick than being the guy. I think he's a much better player now that he's not the focal point of a team.

1 yr. offer with a team option. That would be lovely!

I'm with Atlantaholic on this one. He needs 4/5 year deal. We sign him short term and he continues to improve, we lose.....

• Premium Member
I'm with Atlantaholic on this one. He needs 4/5 year deal. We sign him short term and he continues to improve, we lose.....

Actually, if it's JUST a matter of what's best and reasonable for the Hawks, I'm not even sure he's worth going above 7 mil. Make it 5 years at that number, no raises.

But again, it's not as-if Marvin has no option but to accept whatever the Hawks throw on the table. In fact, going strictly by consensus of all of the "outside observers" who've written about him this off-season, his taking the QO would surprise practically no one.

So, my point is, those two competing priorities have to be accounted for, as they are in any negotiation. And, if I'm Marvin's agent, I'm saying that this guy, the former #2 pick, is going to emerge as good or better than Smoove and he needs to have a contract that is comparable to Smoove's.

Thus, I'd defend the 2 year option at a mil more than the QO as viable... and effectively gives us an opportunity to postpone the major money negotiation until there's more and better information on where Marvin's career is headed.

Not saying that this is how Sund is thinking about it.

My take...

I agree with this because of his back. We do not need another Alan Henderson/Speedy Claxton type situation.